Thread: Opinion on new set would be greatly apreciated

User Info Menu

Post Opinion on new set would be greatly apreciated

Hey everybody,

Ive been looking for a good drum message board to join for quite some while and DC seem like it's the one!

My names Bryan and ive been druming for quite some time (6 years), but never with a set, only with a pad. My abilities have come to the point where just playing on a pad wont be sufficient enough for further progress as a drummer, and so I have determined that the purchasing of a kit is the right thing to do. Unfortunataly I have no experience in this matter (thats where all my soon to be friends at DC come in!) I have done my research and it seems as if the Gretsch Catalina Maple is the set for me....but being how big of a purchase this is, I am very precatious. I have a budget of anywhere from about $700-1200 (plus or minus some).

Do you guys think that this is the right choice for me?

Will the catalinas be a set that I will want to keep forever (and not want to upgrade as soon as i get them)?

It seems that the maples have been out for quite some time, should i be worried about an update to this line in the upcoming future?

Do drum companies usualy realese their whole 2009 line in the begining of 2009 and release nothing else durung the year?

Are their any other sets like the Maples i should consider?

It seems withen my budget range that I can either chose a set like the maples or nice cymbals like zildjan A's........?

Since the catalinas are a shell pack, do you guys sugest hardware.....?

It seems like everyone likes Evan's G2 heads.....should i purchase these with the kit.?

I know this is a lot of questions to ask.....and I would greatly apreciate jsut one responce to one of my question. Thank you all soo much for all of your help! It is greatly apreciated

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Opinion on new set would be greatly apreciated

You need to go and try out some at drum store and decide what you like. I have played many sets and all have there good points, and some have there bad but usally nothing that cant be solved. Dont buy a set just for its looks as that will tire very fast. Its all in the sound. Each one off us likes a certain sound out of our instrument so try a few to see what you like but almost all intermidiate kits are well made. Hope this helps Nuff Said

User Info Menu

You are likely to get many different opinions on this. Below are mine. (opinions only from a 20 year player)

Do you guys think that this is the right choice for me? - It's certainly one good choice. I play Yamaha stuff, but everyone here seems to like the Gretsch.

Will the catalinas be a set that I will want to keep forever (and not want to upgrade as soon as i get them)? - more than likely, this set will be sufficient for many, many, years. As you progress, your tastes may also change. If you are getting the 6 piece, that is a very common configuration and should work for a variety of styles.

It seems that the maples have been out for quite some time, should i be worried about an update to this line in the upcoming future? - companies discontinue lines and finishes all the time, to the frustration of all of us.

Do drum companies usualy realese their whole 2009 line in the begining of 2009 and release nothing else durung the year? - not sure

Are their any other sets like the Maples i should consider? - look at Yamaha Tour Customs (maple) and stage Customs (birch). Both are around 1000 and include hardware.

It seems withen my budget range that I can either chose a set like the maples or nice cymbals like zildjan A's........? - you will want a good set of at least semi pro level cymbals. Often used is the best way to go for these. Count on 300-400 for a decent set.

Since the catalinas are a shell pack, do you guys sugest hardware.....? - you have to have hardware, so yes. I would get Gretsch stuff to keep everything matching, but you could save some money by going with something else.

It seems like everyone likes Evan's G2 heads.....should i purchase these with the kit.? - I'm not sure what comes on the kit, but if is an off brand, you'll want to replace them with something (G2s are a decent choice). I would get the drums first and see what kind of sound you can get with the factory heads. You can always replace them later, and may find you get something you like out of them.

Again - this is all one guy's opinion.

User Info Menu

Just saw this review from a fellow member - http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...599#post160599

User Info Menu

I think the Gretsch Catalinas are a great value, and will be a set you will play for a long time, but there are other equally good choices, Yamaha being one of them, I recently bought one of their sets for my church, and like it just as well as my Gretsch set. There are others in that price range too by makers Like Pearl, Mapex, Lugwig, Tama. I would say try out as many as you can before making a decision. You can't go wrong with Gretsch, but there are others in your price range that are good also. Gretsch I believe uses Gibralter for their hardware (same parent company Kaman music). Gibralter Hardware is well made and affordable, but there are other options for that as well.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

You all made very helpfull points....thanks so much guys

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Slice it!

I play the Catalina Maple kit, and it is truly a great kit - beautiful, warm sound (if I were you, I'd get to a store and listen to maple shell kits, and birch shell kits to hear the difference for yourself, because it's all personal preference).

If you are hooked on the maple sound, you might want to consider a good used kit. With your budget, you could probably work out a deal on a kit with hardware and pro quality cymbals. If you are hooked on the Catalina Maples, then welcome to the club! I can recommend them highly!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I have seen the Gretsch catalina maple shell pack ad'd for $499 on line!
    As PB said, check out maple, birch and mahogany kits..get which ever fits your budget and sounds best to you. The Gretsch Catalina maples are GREAT drums! -Les

User Info Menu

Thanks guys...I am most probably going to go to a store this weekend.

I must say, pb. I think that amber finish on the catalinas is absolutley beautiful

User Info Menu

Before you go, maybe check on e-bay or Kijiji, you may find some good stuff there.

User Info Menu

Being able to listen to drumsets "Live" is the best way to make a decision. When you do, be sure to ask the store clerks to tune the drums as they will not be. Prepare a set of questions that you want to ask. If you can, bring someone along who can play so that you can listen to them from an audience perspective...they do sound different from back to front. For the price range you have, you should have no trouble finding a decent intermediate kit with some hardware. I don't think "Brand" name is too important as most of them will be very similar for the price point. You will need to consider ease of setup, stability of hardware and comfort in sitting behind. Placement of the drums is going to be crucial so you want to be sure that you find something that will be agreeable to you. You will also want to consider drum heads other than "Stock" that come with the kits so, do some research to determine what may be the better choice for you. Quality heads will make a sigificant difference in producing the "Sound" that you want. Also, if you are planning on gigging, you will need to consider drum cases to store and transport the drums. Good quality will last you many years as long as you take care of them...I know. My set has been with me for 45 years now. Good Luck!!
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    For the price range you have, you should have no trouble finding a decent intermediate kit with some hardware. I don't think "Brand" name is too important as most of them will be very similar for the price point.
    Oh, come on Frank! You know you really want to shout LUDWIG!!!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

you know what slice, its hard to say what to get. as theres plenty of sets in the 700 to 1200 range. personally, id have to say GET THE NEW YAMAHA STAGE CUSTOMS! for 700 you can get a 100 percent birch shell pack which is both inexpensive and versatile. it also has add ons readily available in every size you could want. either that or a ddrum amx

User Info Menu

There's allot of choice out there man, each company has it's pros and cons, simple as that and everyone has their slight little preferences for one reason or another.

First kit - good rule of thumb is, entry to medium level kit with quality heads and cymbals will always serve better than a higher end without those things (due to budget restrictions)

Hardware is a must, and should always be double braced. EVans g2s are solid heads, but so are pinstripes, ambassadors, powerstrokes, hydraulics - it all depends on the sound your after, something controlled, punchy, high resonance, the list litteraly just goes on and on. THink more about the style of music you want to play and your surroundings, (the kit will never sound like a recorded kit which has been miced, so if that's what your after, my advice in pinstripes) such as neighbours, do you live in a flat etc....

As you've said it's a big purchase and not one to be entered into lightly. I say skimp a little on the kit itself so you can ensure good cymbals (not necassarily A customs either, Paiste, UFIP and Sabian all make quality stuff too you know), good heads and a good pedal and throne, becuase nothing is worse than getting up after a two practise session and you can't walk because of the crap stock throne you got with the kit.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

you might wanna invest in a production kit so you can start off with only the essential number of drums to develop solid and lasting rhythms and habits. i suggest trying pacific's platinum series, theyre affordable and have infinite options and now theyre just as good as every other brand. a lot of my friends who played pacific swore by them and wont record without one in the studio. gretsch catalina is also an extremely good series to try, because it doesnt cost too much and it sounds just right. actually anything by gretsch is a cant lose investment. personally id go with something you can afford, because every single drum out there, whether its from k mart or guitar center or somewhere has something good about it. try everything, read about different kinds that you like, and try to narrow it down. if your playing rock/metal/hardcore, youll want some more toms, drums, and a high pitched snare; if your playing alternative/pop/soft rock/funk or anything like those things youll want smaller drum sizes, and less of them. also, musicians friend has drum buying guides and can tell you about different kinds of woods and help you decide whats right for you.