Thread: double bass help

User Info Menu

Default double bass help

ok so i was playing like i normally do, when my feet cramp up during my double bass rolls! i practice just about every day for years and this problem is still reoccuring. im wondering when or if the foot cramping will ever stop, because my patterns start out dynamite, and then turn into like a sort of flam sometimes. are my pedals too heavy? please help

User Info Menu

Default Re: double bass help

it could be a few things, maybe the pedal is too tight
    are you sitting in a proper position, your legs should be at 90 or more degrees when your sitting at the drum kit cause i find if my knees are above my hip i get cramped easily,
    you should strecth also it really does help
    Got to stop hitting my self in the face with those drumsticks!!

User Info Menu

it seems like its always somethin, im playing some 50 dollar pearl pedals which feel sort of heavy for db stuff when i like to be loose footed. i kind of have bad posture and tend to lean back a bit at times too, in addition to trying to work a 3 legged hi hat stand with 2 bass drums. my left foot is always sliding off thanks to being tangled in the stand that i cant find a decent position for.

User Info Menu

sounds a lot like your positioning at the drums is the problem then, experiment with the set up as much as possible to get that comfort where you dont slide off pedals and its easy switch. work on your posture too cause not just short term but long term you could do damage to your back and legs too.

User Info Menu

i agree with the stretching part. I always stretch my calf and shins and it helps me alot

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lil_mawl View Post
    i agree with the stretching part. I always stretch my calf and shins and it helps me alot
    i thought it was stupid at first but thats cause in the beginning i was fit anyway and wasn't exactly over stretching my muscles but as i improved, got faster etc stretching is a god send haha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MortalDrumbat View Post
    it seems like its always somethin, im playing some 50 dollar pearl pedals which feel sort of heavy for db stuff when i like to be loose footed. i kind of have bad posture and tend to lean back a bit at times too, in addition to trying to work a 3 legged hi hat stand with 2 bass drums. my left foot is always sliding off thanks to being tangled in the stand that i cant find a decent position for.
    ALso sounds like you need to invest in either a cable hi-hat or getting one of those clamps so you don't need to have the legs on your hi-hat stand.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

yeah i was thinking of a good 2 leg so the left foot isnt fighting me so much. any recommendations?

User Info Menu

dw or pacific

User Info Menu

Iron cobra if you have the spare $160...

User Info Menu

Check the weight and balance of your beaters too. The spring tension. Do you play heal up or down? With or without a lot of power or more finesse? Do you wear shoes or go barefoot? Everyone has given good suggestions on position and stretching,also try stretching and massaging areas of your foot too. Do you stay well hydrated? Loss or water and electrolytes, potassium etc. can cause muscles to cramp and contract if used for excessive time without replenishment. Do you get calf or thigh cramps too? Just some other considerations.
    "The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time"

User Info Menu

i agree with everyone's comments so far, especially Death Drum.

My drum bud and i just swapped our beaters. He felt his were too heavy, i felt mine felt too light, now we are both content with our setups.

User Info Menu

Relax!!!!
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

dont lean back!

User Info Menu

i wish my feet were hands

User Info Menu

well i got one of those bass drum to hi hat clamps, and it solved my problems big time, so thanks everybody