Thread: Nice little independence workout...

User Info Menu

Default Nice little independence workout...

I've always found the hardest limb to get complete independence is the left leg. Dunno why. Maybe because I never played double bass or did feet rudiments as much as I should've. Anyway, I was flicking through one of my books on independence earlier, and I stumbled upon a fill pattern being used to evidence this independence;the good old fashioned RLKK.
    So, the main part of this exercise is the RLKK. It's played as triplets, so RLK, KRL, KKR, LRK. On the '1' of each triplet, play your hi hat. It's simple, but it's a) a polyrhythm, b) good for practicing flams between your feet and c) can't think of a c, but you might as well go practice it. Go on! Go, play it now!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Nice little independence workout...

I don't think I have enough brain cells to actually do that at more than about 3bpm, but I am going to give that exercise a shot. I too struggle with left foot independence. It likes to do its own thing, usually not even the same song that I am playing. I don't know what its problem is, but if it doesn't cooperate, it's outta here.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

So it's... and this is a big stupid moment on my part, but right left kick kick? and hi-hats on the down beat? and rllkk is in triplets... sounds like fun, I love triplets =D (and sextuplets, there faster counterpart!)
    My Set:
    5 Piece PDP FS series
    Joey Jordison Signature Snare
    Sabian B8 14", 18" Thin Crashes
    Sabian B8 16" Thin Crash Dented Edition
    Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hi-Hats
    Sabian B8 20" Ride
    Paiste Innovative 20" Heavy Ride
    Jhmeg2 Über Ride 20" Special Edition

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsumei View Post
    So it's... and this is a big stupid moment on my part, but right left kick kick? and hi-hats on the down beat? and rllkk is in triplets... sounds like fun, I love triplets =D (and sextuplets, there faster counterpart!)
    Yup, that's it.

The RLKK part is repeated 3 times, and is played with a value of three against the hi-hat's four. So, the hi hat hits every third part of the RLKK pattern you play; Rlk Krl Kkr Lkk (capitals are the ones it hits).

It is HARD to play it fast. But you'll get it eventually. Work out where it hits first before trying to play it instinctively.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LagerHead View Post
    I don't think I have enough brain cells to actually do that at more than about 3bpm, but I am going to give that exercise a shot. I too struggle with left foot independence. It likes to do its own thing, usually not even the same song that I am playing. I don't know what its problem is, but if it doesn't cooperate, it's outta here.
    I was gonna start at 2 bpm!!! Hey , maybe my left leg belongs to you and yours to me, 'cause it sounds like mine does the same thing as yours. When you cut it off, ship it to me and I'll do the same.
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bruarm View Post
    I was gonna start at 2 bpm!!! Hey , maybe my left leg belongs to you and yours to me, 'cause it sounds like mine does the same thing as yours. When you cut it off, ship it to me and I'll do the same.
    LOL. You got it.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie