Thread: Yamaha RHH135 Hi-Hat

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha RHH135 Hi-Hat

I have the RHH135 hi-hat on my Yamaha DTXtreme IV.

I absolutely hate, hate, hate this hi-hat.

When I go to my instructor, he has an acoustic set and it's so easy to get the "chik" sound. But on this electronic hi-hat, I have to stomp the pedal to get the sound I want, and even then it is inconsistent. Half the time I get a chik, other times it sounds like it's open. Frustrating! I've adjusted the crap out of the thing... raising it up and down to different levels... no improvement.

If I had known then what I know now, I would have gone acoustic all the way.
    Yamaha DTXpress IV V2

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha RHH135 Hi-Hat

Hind sight is 20/20, isn't it!

Have you checked with Yamaha customer service to see if they know a way to tweak thinks to make it better? Of course, there could always be a defect, so customer service might be the way to go in that case too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks Pastor Bob... Actually some guys on the Yamaha DTX page gave me some things to check. I tweaked the heck out of it and now it's better. Not perfect, but much better. I won't be taking the sledge hammer to it... for now.
    Yamaha DTXpress IV V2

User Info Menu

hehehe, its in the manual, how to adjust the splash or chick sensitivity, hope you nail it.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

The Yamaha manual is crap. They even spelled troubleshooting wrong in the title to that section. It reads, "Trobleshooting". Pretty sad...
    Yamaha DTXpress IV V2

User Info Menu

Sell the electronic kit - Buy an acoustic kit - Do it now.
    Thank you for paying attention to this public service announcement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ABCgang View Post
    Thank you for paying attention to this public service announcement.
    Nice.

Funny thing is, I LOVE my Yamaha hi hat stand....the 700 series for my acoustics.....
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ABCgang View Post
    I actually like this kit a lot... except for the hi-hat. The rest of it is great and offers many luxuries an acoustic simply cannot.
    Yamaha DTXpress IV V2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck1958 View Post

When I go to my instructor, he has an acoustic set and it's so easy to get the "chik" sound. But on this electronic hi-hat, I have to stomp the pedal to get the sound I want, and even then it is inconsistent. Half the time I get a chik, other times it sounds like it's open. Frustrating! I've adjusted the crap out of the thing... raising it up and down to different levels... no improvement.

Hi, I'm not familiar with your module ( is it the DTXpress IV ?) but I do have the RHH 135 hi-hat with my DTXTREME lll kit and I have no problems what so ever with it. You may need to adjust the settings in your module to let it know which hi-hat controller you are using. I had to do this with the DTXTREME lll module when I assigned different pads to it like the PCY 65's I picked up. Until I told the module what pads I was using they would not function properly.

If you're using the DTXpress IV module you will most likely have to tell it you're using the RHH 135 hi-hat controller.

With my DTXTREME lll module this is done by going into the Trigger Mode and selcting "Type" and then assigning which type of pad or controller you are using.

If the DTXpress IV is an older module it may not have the ability to properly control the newer RHH135 hi-hat.

Let me know what module you are using and I can better help you.

User Info Menu

Just an update on the hi-hat...

I thought I had the bugs all worked out but no such luck. I still was having problems getting a consistent "chik" sound out of the RHH-135 (sometimes no sound at all, or an open sound, intertwined with the occasional chik). I called Yamaha support and after a few rounds of playing phone tag I got in touch with one of the reps. He was very understanding and knowledgeable of the product. He had me try a couple of different things and when that didn't resolve the issue he said they would send me a new replacement RHH135. I should get it sometime next week.

I was a little ticked at Yamaha based on the experience of using their email support. But this guy (Isaac) renewed my confidence in the company.

Hopefully with the new hi-hat my troubles will be over. I love the rest of this kit and the only sticking point has been the hi-hat.

To NPYYZ... Thanks for the reply. I had already verified that I had the RHH-135 as the designated hi-hat in the module. The module I have is the DTXpress IV Special (Version 2). Thanks again.
    Yamaha DTXpress IV V2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck1958 View Post

I've got this hi hat and I really love it....I'm using mine with my DTXtreme III module and DTXtreme RHP wood shell pads...the hi hat has great dynamics, sensitivity and I have had no problems getting it to do foot splashes, "chik" sounds, etc...