Thread: Band wanted

User Info Menu

Default Band wanted

OK Drummers,

Now that I'm feeling pretty up to speed, I want to start looking for a band.

I don't want to be trying to "make it", but I would like to find a good cover band and make some extra coin.

Any thing I should look for, or places to look?

What do bands generally earn for their gigs?
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Band wanted

Here in Des Moines, we go to the music stores and put a calling card on the message boards. Seems to work quite well. Then, you can look through Craig's List for notices in your area. And, if you haven't, you can join the local Musicians' Union and get on the referral list. Here, we get anywhere for $40 - $75 per gig (3hrs.).
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Here over in the UK open mic nights are the best thing to get you're band noticed. You wont get paid for the night but if you impress the owner of the venue then they will hire the band and pay you a fee. the average pay is around £150 which is about $70.

User Info Menu

CD, as mentioned before try posting ads at stores, Craig's List, Bandmix, there are more places to look online too. And there's nothing wrong with jamming in a cover band around town and making some extra cash doing what you love right!!??

We get anywhere from playing for free beer to $700 a night. Just depends on the venue and how long you play. Latley, our gigs have been in the $400 - $700 range which has been really nice
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

You can always start a band with me Oh...

P.S. You should probably post this on a guitar forum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludwigkid View Post

P.S. You should probably post this on a guitar forum.
    Yeah, but all the replies would tell me how great they are...
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Here in Des Moines, we go to the music stores and put a calling card on the message boards. Seems to work quite well. Then, you can look through Craig's List for notices in your area. And, if you haven't, you can join the local Musicians' Union and get on the referral list. Here, we get anywhere for $40 - $75 per gig (3hrs.).
    Thanks Frank. The boards at the music stores are full of kids in garage bands. No offense as we all started there, but there's not much there for a 30-something like me.

I love the idea of the AFM. Thanks!
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redheaddrummer03 View Post
    CD, as mentioned before try posting ads at stores, Craig's List, Bandmix, there are more places to look online too. And there's nothing wrong with jamming in a cover band around town and making some extra cash doing what you love right!!??

We get anywhere from playing for free beer to $700 a night. Just depends on the venue and how long you play. Latley, our gigs have been in the $400 - $700 range which has been really nice
    Bandmix, huh? Thanks!
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Good responses. Myspace has a classified section. Type in musicians looking for bands and your area and see what your search engine pulls up. Ask other musicians if they know anyone.

User Info Menu

CD, I'll ask my husband where he and his band mates look for people on-line. They get a lot of replies (bass players) from guys that are in our age group looking to play in cover bands. My husband also has a profile up on some web site for musicians and one of the band he's in now found him on there so that's also an idea.

User Info Menu

My husband said check craigslist

User Info Menu

Band mix or muso or forming bands workd good. Don't know if there just in the UK though.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I asked around a while back and it seems $100-$150 per person is fair . Bish said they give the soundman an equal share ...nothing like a good soundman to make you sound your best !!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    My husband said check craigslist
    I will second this. I have met and talked to numerous musicians through Craigslist. Im currently talking with a guy who is trying to put something together. Hopefully soon.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Another one is Musician Forest. And in this area we have a site called Milwaukee Rocks that lists bands playing in the area every night, as well as a classifieds section for linking up musicians, selling gear, etc.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Exclamation Re: Band wanted

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Don't mean to throw a wet blanket on the AFM, Frank, but I was a member of the Granite City local for four years. I spent $100 a year for the privilege of getting two--and only two--referrals. And, of all things, I couldn't take one referral because I had a schedule conflict--not from Walmart, but my RADIO job!

On the other gig, I sat in on hand drums for a band fronted by the business manager of the Granite City local--replacing the regular (set) drummer, who was his son. I discovered later after the gig--much later--that he had signed the green sheet for his son, not me. So I got screwed out of $100 (which was the going rate in 2001 for a four-hour gig).

I also learned that our local was composed of older men (older than you and I, Frank!) who spent their meetings complaining about how disc jockeys were ruining live music--and doing very little about it! Maybe your AFM local is much better--and I'm sure it is--but I would tell CycleDude to investigate the AFM local in his neck of the woods before joining.

And, CD, DON'T join the AFM until you get a couple of gigs under your belt.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

MYSPACE!! :-) I agree with alot of people here. Myspace has to be the best way right now to find fellow musicians. That's how I've found everyone I've jammed with. The good thing is you get to check out whoever wants to tryout, if they're sort of creepy or not. Lol. They'll also have music up at times to see what their sound is like. Good luck! The best way to find someone or few people would be to post an ad yourself about what it is you're looking for.
    www.myspace.com/joeguitar

Feel free to request me. Just make sure you add a message with it cause I get too many from people I just don't know.

User Info Menu

a beer?

User Info Menu

Grab a few of your best friends and say "guess what fellas...we're starting a band!" Don't laugh. That's how the Doors got started.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Grab a few of your best friends and say "guess what fellas...we're starting a band!" Don't laugh. That's how the Doors got started.

all the best...

That's how my older bands were formed!
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post

That's how my older bands were formed!
    Yeah, I did that in high school myself.....but not since!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

OK..... I found one.

New thread.....

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...tion-8797.html
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    Yeah..and look where that ended for 'ol Jim -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    OK Drummers,

Now that I'm feeling pretty up to speed, I want to start looking for a band.

I don't want to be trying to "make it", but I would like to find a good cover band and make some extra coin.

Any thing I should look for, or places to look?

What do bands generally earn for their gigs?

I cant believe I missed this thread........CD , can I be your drummer ?