Thread: Pandeiro

User Info Menu

Default Pandeiro

Anyone use a pandeiro? I just got one from Meinl and really like it. Not sure what kinds of songs it will really go with though. I think I like it tuned pretty high, but mostly I see them tuned lower. Very cool instrument, though. Use heel tip technique like with Congas. Any thoughts or commnets?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pandeiro

Pandeiros are sweet instruments! Traditionally used in Brazilian music like Samba, but as with any percussion instrument you can adapt it to just about any genre you wish. I've found brazilian styles adapt very well to funk. Traditionally played with the thumb and fingers and heel toe like congas. One of my favorite drummers, Stanton Moore of Galactic, has his mounted on a snare stand and uses it kind of like a side snare playing it with sticks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Pandeiros are sweet instruments! Traditionally used in Brazilian music like Samba, but as with any percussion instrument you can adapt it to just about any genre you wish. I've found brazilian styles adapt very well to funk. Traditionally played with the thumb and fingers and heel toe like congas. One of my favorite drummers, Stanton Moore of Galactic, has his mounted on a snare stand and uses it kind of like a side snare playing it with sticks.
    Stanton is one of my favorite drummers . Theres a guy who believes that more is less . Ive watched him play his New Orleans grooves with just his 4 or 5 pc set and sound great .

User Info Menu

Indeed, he has such an amazing groove! His buzz rolls are so hot!