Thread: Can I use Coated heads on the bottom?

User Info Menu

Default Can I use Coated heads on the bottom?

I need new heads, but simply can't afford them right now! I have some nice aqurian heads on the bottom of my toms, and Remo Coated on the top. Can coated be used as the reso head?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Can I use Coated heads on the bottom?

There's nothing saying you can't...but I think it will really muffle your drums and take the resonance out of them.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redheaddrummer03 View Post
    There's nothing saying you can't...but I think it will really muffle your drums and take the resonance out of them.
    That's what I was thinking, I'll just deal for now. The last guy who had the set drew pretty little pictures alllll over my heads

User Info Menu

No way! the drum police will arrest you!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Many people use coated ambos for resos. There isnt a big difference in sound between a coated and a clear ambo.

User Info Menu

I use coated ambassadors on the bottom with coated emperors on top. I feel I get a more tone or an actual resonant note. Clear heads IMO have more attack but have somewhat a plastic sound. I also find it easier to run the toms wide open without the need for additional muffling or pre-muffled heads or the need for external dampening devices. Bonham recorded everything with coated top and bottom heads.
    "The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time"

User Info Menu

i used coated ambs on the bottom, sounds lavely.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

You can use coated heads for resonant heads, but I wouldn't. The single ply clear heads make your drums look prettier.

Dennis

User Info Menu

You can use coated heads as resos but you will choke the tone somewhat. In the "Old" days, we used coated on the bottoms but only because it was have a newer head ready when we needed to change the batter. Over the years, we've become more aware of our drums as they relate "Musically" to what we are doing. I think a good rule of thumb is to use a thinner head as reso if you are wanting the drum to "Sing." If you want pure tone, then both heads of same thickness to tune both sides equally. Coated or clear heads will depend on the quality of tone you want. Clear for brighter and wide-open and coated for a warmer sound. Maybe this is why so many are now using coated batters with clear resos.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg