Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conga Prices Down?

User Info Menu

Default Conga Prices Down?

With all the Job losses and the economy not doing to good, it seem to be having an effect on everything including congas! Ive always had no trouble selling a drum here and there below the going rate. Lately I haven't even heard a peep from anyone. I've been seeing things like new Lp Classic for $300 a pair on C.L. being re listed over and over as though no one is interested. Good time for buyers but a bad time for seller Has anyone else notice this trend?
    L4C
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: Conga Prices Down?

Luv4congas, it's not just congas. It seems to be all musical gear right now. Either gear is listed low, and it still moves slow, or someone is trying to get top dollar for their gear and it just sits there. People are being much smarter about their money right now, and they definitely won't overpay for anything, when they know that there are bargains to be had because of motivated sellers.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

L4C I've noticed this as well. I saw a pair of Gon Bops Tumbao Pro with a set of natural and synthetic heads, 2 stands, and bags listed for $250 on my local CL. It was originally posted for $500 and it just kept dropping. Someone got a smokin deal. Great time to buy, I may have to sniff out a deal and blow my tax return on something.

User Info Menu

I just bought set of 3 (quinto Conga Tumba) Performer series in the low 400's at GC. They are basically same as the classic II's - only diff is the wood selection. They sound great - even with Fiberskyns.

User Info Menu

Pastor Bob, Gretschead, That seems to be the case, I bet Guitar Center and other similar stores are taking a hit. JDL1881 That sound like a really good deal, some high quality cow skins will really wake up those Lp Performers, I've done it.
    L4C

User Info Menu

Luv4congas - So you think Cow is the best? What about Mule, calf, buffalo. The only otheres I have tried is the Fiberskyns and they are not bad when playing along side a drums set because they are loud and brite - other times I want more authentic sound, though. I was leaning towards mule.. still not sure though.

User Info Menu

jdl1881 Most people would agree mule is the best but your probably looking at about $80 with shipping and one month waiting time. American cow is about $50 with shipping for the quinto and the wait is usually a week. From my experience the Performer series Tumba and conga is fine with the existing skin but the quinto can get a bit ringy when you tune it way up but with American cow the ring is totally removed. It seemed to be perfect for the Performer Series. Below is a pic with cow. I've showed it here before, don't mean to over do it but
    L4C
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

In my experience, Mule skin provides a crisper, brighter sound, while a good thick cow skin will have a warmer, dry tone. I personally prefer the tone of cow but I like slaps on mule. Water buffalo is junk in my opinion, sounds like a ringy coffee can.

Its pretty much player preference here, a lot of people prefer mule, but there are tons of players who won't use anything but cow.

User Info Menu

That thing is beatiful!! - Thats the color of the 3 I have at Churchand the look reall cool on stage. Thans fro the advise. Waht about the white hide .. Calf I think?

Also- I put a Fiberskyn (the Aspire Conga size M4-S110-F5) on my Performer Quinto and it sounds awesome with excellent slaps. The conga and Tumba are OK. It works our well because I tune really high and I don't worry about detuning. If you have the $$you should try it.

User Info Menu

Waht about the white hide .. Calf I think?
    This is the same as cow, just bleeched, it will have the same sound qualities.

User Info Menu

maybe I'll do Mule for the Quinto and Cow on the other two.. Thanks fro the advice!!

BTW - I just got my Meinl Pandeiro - its the coolest thing ever. 10", rawhide -not sure what, though - cow maybe.

User Info Menu

maybe I'll do Mule for the Quinto and Cow on the other two..
    This would be my ideal setup...

User Info Menu

Same situation here. I've been trying to move a set of 4 Primero Pro fiberglass drums for 450 (700 new) on craigslist for a while without even a bite from anyone. Luckily I can afford to sit on them for a while.

User Info Menu

Wow, I just won an auction on ebay for a set of LP Tito Puente timbales for $102.50, talk about a deal! These are like $450 new! 13" and 14" steel shells. They look to be in pretty decent shape, missing a screw or 2 on the mounts, but that's an easy fix. No stand though, but still a steal of a deal!

User Info Menu

Conga prices are dropping o_o I might have to start looking around... after I get my bongo cajon that is....
    My Set:
    5 Piece PDP FS series
    Joey Jordison Signature Snare
    Sabian B8 14", 18" Thin Crashes
    Sabian B8 16" Thin Crash Dented Edition
    Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hi-Hats
    Sabian B8 20" Ride
    Paiste Innovative 20" Heavy Ride
    Jhmeg2 Über Ride 20" Special Edition

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Conga Prices Down?

Do I foresee a lot of drum-trading around here?

Seriously, the music industry is taking a hit because, quite frankly, instruments are luxuries when you're worried about paying for essentials (even to some of our more rabid hand drummers, like you know who!)

jdl, give us a review on that pandeiro, buddy! I've never played one but they sound like fun...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=bongobro;164514]Do I foresee a lot of drum-trading around here?

Seriously, the music industry is taking a hit because, quite frankly, instruments are luxuries when you're worried about paying for essentials (even to some of our more rabid hand drummers,

Bongobro, I think some people may have gotten their tax returns, I went from two weeks of no calls on a drum I had for sale to several people telling me their on their way to pick it up! One guy showed up with the cash at the same time another was chewing me out on my cell because he was in route to my house!
    Crazy
    L4C

User Info Menu

Ive seen good used condition LP Matadors for $200 a drum or less on Craig's List! That's a good drum for a great price!

User Info Menu

I didn't get much of a response when I tried to sell my Valje's a few weeks ago. I was asking a lot for them because I really think they're worth it and I'm not desperate to part with them. Even though the economy is in a downturn right now, and maybe for a little while yet, there still is a whole bunch of people out there with lots of money. Usually the people with "lots of money" really don't have to look for deals - they just buy it (like a new house, car or whatever). If they want what you got for sale they'll buy it. That's been my experience anyway. The right place at the right time usually is what works best when selling or buying.

NICE Looking DRUM Luv4Congas !

Cheers,

Kona
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I didn't get much of a response when I tried to sell my Valje's a few weeks ago. I was asking a lot for them because I really think they're worth it and I'm not desperate to part with them. Even though the economy is in a downturn right now, and maybe for a little while yet, there still is a whole bunch of people out there with lots of money. Usually the people with "lots of money" really don't have to look for deals - they just buy it (like a new house, car or whatever). If they want what you got for sale they'll buy it. That's been my experience anyway. The right place at the right time usually is what works best when selling or buying.

NICE Looking DRUM Luv4Congas !

Cheers,

Kona
    Thank you kona, just another run of the mill Lp that I sold. I'm kinda glad you didn't sell them. You might sell them to someone who doesn't subscribe to Drum Chat and we may never see the cool pics of the killer Vaje's set again! Speaking of pics I bet they'll look really cool on an outdoor shot near some kinda palms to give that tropical look, Yah!
    L4C

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Water buffalo is junk in my opinion, sounds like a ringy coffee can.

Its pretty much player preference here, a lot of people prefer mule, but there are tons of players who won't use anything but cow.
    I agree and that's what my Aspires sounded like that I finally sold! Thanks Gretschead I have been trying to describe to people what they sounded like.

answer: Ringy coffee cans excellent example
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsumei View Post
    Conga prices are dropping o_o I might have to start looking around... after I get my bongo cajon that is....

I'll sell you my Valje's for a measly $4,500
    Gary

frquent flyer Guest

I'm new to this music. I did just buy a Lp galaxy and tumba for $449 and $459 respectively. Considering that Guitar center wanted $626 each for these congas I feel like I got a good deal. Anyone agree or disagree? Ive done my share of buying used stringed instruments thru Craigs list and E bay. Ive had both good and not so good experience buying used.

User Info Menu

Not a bad price for brand new drums, Galaxys are certainly on the top end of the market (excluding boutiques) and are excellent drums. Congrats on your purchase!

User Info Menu

i have been looking on ebay for a set of lp 70's fiberglass, had to pass on some because i set a price, of 400 with shipping, and any condition, so as a buyer i take my time and keep on waiting. but overall the music price are done and are being relisted all the time, i did get a Lp cajon and two mini bongos for $117