Thread: Bags vs. cases....

User Info Menu

Default Bags vs. cases....

So....my Fibre cases are shot, finally...the foam padding in them is all dried up, and falling out...BUT...I bought a new car a few months ago, and i recently discovered that my kick drum case will NOT go into the back seat....the drum itself fits fine, but not the case...so I'm throwing around the idea of bags instead of cases....I'm definitely not transporting my drums without anything to protect them...but I've always had hard cases, never bags....anybody use bags? any suggestions, advice? Brands? Beato, Gator? any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Hey BTG,
    I'm the guy to answer this one. I had the "exact" same scenario. I actually prefer driving cars to trucks and I had a Camry. I could get everything in with a case except for the kick drum. I took a chance on the Protection Racket bass drum bag. I can't even begin to tell you how great it's been. Man, their cases are nice! It's made real well. Keeps its form a bit so the kick will slide in and out w/out too much hassle. It's lightweight but built solid. I have their soft shell trapcase too. It's got skateboard wheels and it's also solid as a rock.

The only thing with soft shell cases is that they look so nice, you don't want to get 'em dirty. You've got to be a little more careful when there's dirt or mud around. As long as you're hauling them in your car, you'll be ok. If you need to put them in a box truck or other people will be hauling them, you should stay with hardshell to keep them from getting banged up.

User Info Menu

Hey, thanks, Tom....I just checked MusiciansFriend, but they dont sell the Protection Racket bags...is there a site where i could take a look at them?

User Info Menu

I help Drum Bum out some and they hooked me up because they buy from one of the companies that distributes them. I don't think they stock it but if you call them they might be able to sell you one.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

awesome....thanks again, brother

User Info Menu

Hey G, I use Gater soft cases for my drums and have never had any problems with them. The only thing with them is if you have a large kit, it is next to impossible to get single cases to match odd tom/snare sizes as they usually sell full 5 piece sets and singles of those same sizes. I have a 10"x6" side snare that I can't find a case anywhere for....

I totally agree with drummer though, if someone else is doing the packing or the hauling, stick with hardshells.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Yeah, I've been looking......i can still use my snare case, that's in fine shape....but i still need 5 bags....and the bag sets come with 5 bags, but one is for a snare....i need a deep one for a 14" tom, that's the trouble I'm having.

User Info Menu

Oh, and for the record, NO ONE touches my drums but me, lol