Thread: Yuck! Green Cymbals...

User Info Menu

Default Yuck! Green Cymbals...

WOW! I just got my cymbals and my gold Remo from my brothers house and my cymbals have oxidizes and turned green!

What can I do to get this crap off???

I dont wanna strip the finish with a HD cleaner....

HELP!!!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yuck! Green Cymbals...

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    WOW! I just got my cymbals and my gold Remo from my brothers house and my cymbals have oxidizes and turned green!

HELP!!!
    Brass Polish?

Maybe some WD-40?
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I like to stick a drumstick up my nose while playing 64ths on double bass at 208.
    Epic Win.

User Info Menu

there is a post in here somewhere about how to remove the oxidation off without ruining the cymbals, just don't remember exactly where. I know it was in a thread just about cymbal cleaning though.

Larrysperf Guest

Coca cola

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Coca cola
    Does the coke need a little rum in it or is that just me? LOL!!!!!
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

Larrysperf Guest

no rum but it does do wonders. Also Sabien cymbal cleaner works great also. Nuff Said

User Info Menu

So, do you let the coke sit or wipe it immediately?

seriously....

Thanks Larry.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Drumbum.com has few good ideas. Ill repost them here.

Code:
    1. Do it in the yard, not in your bathtub or kitchen sink. Take a bucket of warm water out there just like you're going to wash your car. Leave your bath or kitchen be. It does nothing but make a huge mess and pisses off your girlfriend or spouse. Ha!

2. Experiment with all the cymbal cleaners. I've listed them below. Be careful with scouring mixes like Comet. They can scratch the surface of your cymbals if you're not careful.

3. Determine whether your cymbal needs a polishing, a quick once-over, or a deep-cleaning (dirt and grime has built up on the cymbal over a period of time as opposed to just stick markings). If they only need a quick polish, buy a spray-on type of cleaner. It's usually quick and effective.

4. When you clean your cymbal, wipe in the direction of the grooves of your cymbal. You can use an abrasive sponge or scrub brush but make sure that the wires of the brush are not metal or that they're not something that will scratch the cymbal.

5. Some drummers will use household cleaners such as Fantastic or Formula 409 to help remove the initial deepened grime. It won't get it all out but it might help loosen it up. You can also soak your cymbals in hot water before cleaning them. This will help loosen the dirt.

6. Remember that some commercial cymbal cleaners are more for polishing or touching up rather than deep-cleaning (and visa versa) so be sure to read the label before proceeding.

7. Clean small sections at a time, especially with really dirty cymbals. Again, think of it like your washing your car. You don't wash the entire car at one time right? Take it one small section at a time.

8. Some drum shops have professional cymbal cleaning machines and they offer this as a service to their customers. It will cost you a bit but will save you a lot of time if you're one that simply detests the chore.

9. Some cleaning agents can be harmful to your health. Be sure to use rubber gloves or a breathing mask if necessary. Make sure there is proper ventilation.
    HTML Code:
    Drum Products:
    Zildjian Cymbal Cleaning Polish
    Paiste Cymbal Cleaner
    Sabian Cymbal Cleaner
    Groove Juice
    Buckaroo Cymbal Cleaner
    Blitz Cymbal Cleaner

Household Products:
    Comet
    Brasso
    Graffiti Remover
    Fantastic or Formula 409
    Car Wax
    Once again, Props to drumbum.com for this, this is just a repost.
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I like to stick a drumstick up my nose while playing 64ths on double bass at 208.
    Epic Win.

User Info Menu

Sand Blast it and come up with a new cymbal!

User Info Menu

CycleDude, here is one of our threads on cymbal cleaning:

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...32.html?t=7232
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Yuck! Green Cymbals...

Does the coke need a little rum in it or is that just me? LOL!!!!!
    If it doesn't work, you might need to add a little...

Actually, I have read that Coca-Cola has been used to clean the powdery corrosion off of car battery cable terminals because it contains phosphoric acid (as do all carbonated sodas), so it should work on the cymbal crud (an oxidation formally known as verdigris). Would recommend trying it on a hidden spot of the cymbal (the inside of the bell, maybe?) before cleaning the whole cymbal with it!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

thinners works for hardcore green corrosion but don't wipe your logos off what ever you do

User Info Menu

If the cymbal has oxidized the protective coating is already gone so I wouldnt worry about removing it.
    Try some Barkeeps friend.

User Info Menu

I used some Bon Ami and windex. They look pretty good.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Contact Paiste or Sabian and see if the next fad is going to be green cymbals???? Hey,,,it's worked for black ones right??? For what it's worth, the Paiste cymbal cleaner is pretty good stuff. Never had any experiance cleaning a green one however.

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

Subrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sonorkid View Post
    Contact Paiste or Sabian and see if the next fad is going to be green cymbals???? Hey,,,it's worked for black ones right???

First...there was the Black Alpha from Paiste. Then...there was the Pitch Black from Zildjian. Now, from Sabian, comes...

PUKE GREEN!

(available only on special order)

User Info Menu

I use Groove Juice that will take it off but watch yoor logos do not rub them you can loose them or fade them.

User Info Menu

Kevin...You never mentioned how the cymbals sound. If they are good in that
    respect then be careful not to take away from that by using something to powerful.
    I use Paise cymbal polish but Brasso might be good in this case. As for the logos,
    assuming that yours has them...no big deal. They're gone, they're gone. But, you
    can fill them in with a Sharpie.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Subrick View Post
    First...there was the Black Alpha from Paiste. Then...there was the Pitch Black from Zildjian. Now, from Sabian, comes...

PUKE GREEN!

(available only on special order)
    Hahahahahaha, actually it was my old Paiste crash.... dude, the thing looked like it had a camoflauge paint job!
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Kevin...You never mentioned how the cymbals sound. If they are good in that
    respect then be careful not to take away from that by using something to powerful.
    I use Paise cymbal polish but Brasso might be good in this case. As for the logos,
    assuming that yours has them...no big deal. They're gone, they're gone. But, you
    can fill them in with a Sharpie.
    Thanks for asking, Frank. I plan to try the groove juice as maintenance, but I had to scrub the heck outa them to get them looking good for that audition I went on. They still sound pretty good. The Paiste crash sounds real thin, though. The Sabian crash sounds cool. It has a beautiful shimmer to it. You can hear them in my latest video I posted in the video section here of the Finger 11 song, Paralyzed.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

I really like Groove Juice, very easy to use.

User Info Menu

first spray it with soft scrub, let it drip off and when it about dry spray it again then wipe it all off. then wipe em down with never dull. then use the cleaner of your choice, i prefer zildjian, but you need to use the cleaner nott the polish. after wipping that off, if you choose to polish them this is the time, if not then your almost done. Finaly i spray them with windex and wipe off very well, put them on the stands beat with sticks and enjoy
    Fat Pat, show us your drums page 138, post 3429
    always chang'n sumth'n

User Info Menu

HELP!!!

STOP..............dont do a thing with them . Call me immediately , I will be right there to rid you of these un-sighly cymbals . A drummer of your caliber should not be associated with this type of musical equipment .