Thread: should the shout box be a chat room

User Info Menu

Default should the shout box be a chat room

its my opinion that the shout box getts over used. Somtimes i find my self chatting to over 8 different users at a time ....and i can never read everything...also the shout box at time does need moderating ....

can a chat room/ box be implemented .......

i know reasons why not to have one ....the horrid speed issues that the web site will have the endless checking to make sure that someones not getting drilled in there....not to mention spamming and flooding ......

but i don't know its just hard to talk sometimes in the shout box...

User Info Menu

Default Re: should the shout box be a chat room

Interesting idea Itchie.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

there's always the visitor message in the profile you can chat there too.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

yeah i like the visitor messages. shout box is a good way to say hi.

User Info Menu

I think it's a good idea Itchie....
    ...I am not seeing things as they are....I am seeing things as I am....

User Info Menu

I love having 8 convos at once. when you make a diss comment no one knows who you are dissing!!

cool idea though.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

There's a couple of ways to look a this. First of all, it's a good sign because the Forum is attracting o much interest from so many drummers. Secondly, it has proven itself to be a well-regulated and civil format due, in large part, to those who volunteer their time as Moderators. Third, the very nature of the shout box and PM's greatly assists all of us who are seeking information based upon practical experience. I much rather learn about drum head selection here than from the Internet. So, what Itchie has described amounts to "Growing pains." The downside is, as he describes, can be chaotic when so many users are on at the same time. So, what can be done about it? How about DrumChat II? Would it not make sense to set up a second or more DrumChats? Each "Room" can have a limit of participants with screen names listed. In this manner, when I log on to Drum chat, I can see who's in the "Shout" and choose whether I want to visit or check the other "Shout" to see who's in there. Perhaps this can be further streamlined to include topics of discussion. I think Itchie is on to something here and bears consideration.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

Larrysperf Guest

last 2 days at night I left because of chat. We have 1 person that just goes on and on about the same thing and same ? over and over. Nuff Said Hope Im not outta line here

User Info Menu

Interesting idea. What's funny about this is DB almost pulled the plug on the shoutbox early on because no one ever used it. LOL There are still times when it's dead. It just seems to peak in the after-work hours.

I would think that a full chat forum would be harder to moderate. As this one grows, it becomes increasingly harder. I can see it being a monster growing out of control. But its not my ultimate decision. I think the most important thing with regard to moderation is that everyone can play an active role by either reminding other users of the rules now and then and/or sending us a PM when someone's out of line.

Thanks for the feedback and I'm sure your voices will be heard.

User Info Menu

You can count on me that I won't crowd or monopolize the shoutbox. That's because I'm so slow in typing that people assume I'm gone.

User Info Menu

Personally, I like the idea of a chat room better, I find them cleaner and easier to understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I like to stick a drumstick up my nose while playing 64ths on double bass at 208.
    Epic Win.

User Info Menu

well theres another way getting around it and thats having an irc channel

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    its my opinion that the shout box getts over used. Somtimes i find my self chatting to over 8 different users at a time ....and i can never read everything...also the shout box at time does need moderating ....

can a chat room/ box be implemented .......

i know reasons why not to have one ....the horrid speed issues that the web site will have the endless checking to make sure that someones not getting drilled in there....not to mention spamming and flooding ......

but i don't know its just hard to talk sometimes in the shout box...
    HOLA como estas mi amiog ITCHIE DOWN UNDER EPIC SMOOTH CAT Creative artistic open minded drummer artist CAT within great wisdom aware-ness knowledge * EXCELLENTE

User Info Menu

its really all about how far this site wants to go

so far.....

international recognition

a real sense of community

a epic resource and wealth of drumming knowledge ,from the most grass roots basic drumming all the way up to pro level drumming

whats next ....? will it change to a different colour

User Info Menu

I use shout to say hello then off to message for one on one conversation. The one nice feature about chat, is when you have a question, you can get several perspectives at one time. I like this in that I was able to solve a tuning issue quickly.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    There's a couple of ways to look a this. First of all, it's a good sign because the Forum is attracting o much interest from so many drummers. Secondly, it has proven itself to be a well-regulated and civil format due, in large part, to those who volunteer their time as Moderators. Third, the very nature of the shout box and PM's greatly assists all of us who are seeking information based upon practical experience. I much rather learn about drum head selection here than from the Internet. So, what Itchie has described amounts to "Growing pains." The downside is, as he describes, can be chaotic when so many users are on at the same time. So, what can be done about it? How about DrumChat II? Would it not make sense to set up a second or more DrumChats? Each "Room" can have a limit of participants with screen names listed. In this manner, when I log on to Drum chat, I can see who's in the "Shout" and choose whether I want to visit or check the other "Shout" to see who's in there. Perhaps this can be further streamlined to include topics of discussion. I think Itchie is on to something here and bears consideration.
    DITTO NUff Said

User Info Menu

It's gonna be hard to stay out of the shout box, I had no idea it was not meant for chatting. F/T

User Info Menu

F/T, the Shoutbox is for chatting. The thing that people were pointing out is that the Shoutbox sometimes gets crowded, and sometimes there are those who dominate the shoutbox making it harder for conversations to go on. Chat away my friend!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I think a chat would be better because it's in a separate browser tab, which means I can surf the web whilst chatting! I could help moderate if need be, because I LOVE chatting!!!

User Info Menu

Have you guys heard of Team Speak?

It's a voice program that you use with a microphone and headset.

It's a true way to get to know everyone cuz you can hear their voice.

When I used to race NASCAR on line we would use that to communicate with our team members.
    Signature here

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Have you guys heard of Team Speak?

It's a voice program that you use with a microphone and headset.

It's a true way to get to know everyone cuz you can hear their voice.

When I used to race NASCAR on line we would use that to communicate with our team members.
    Bish can you hear me now lol hold on Ill turn the mic up, be right back

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Bish can you hear me now lol hold on Ill turn the mic up, be right back
    Wait, I don't have my volume turned up.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

What about Skype or Tinychat?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

How do you "vent"?, can you vent on this site?.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
    How do you "vent"?, can you vent on this site?.
    as in ventrillo? that's a paid for service by guildies/clans/teams
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi