Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Ddrum drums discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ddrum drums discussion

Stupid question:

Where are Ddrum kits made? I believe it is in Tampa along with their Dean Guitar line, though I'm no 100% sure on that. I'm about an hour south of there and am thinking about maybe doing a tour.

Thanks,

Tan

User Info Menu

I GOT Ddrum defiant 7pc 3 up two down and I love these drums. I hve been playing for many years and have had only two drum sets in those years. Slingerland 8pc that I bought new in 1972, and premier 60's kit I bought used from a music store I worked in that were trade ins. Slingerland are maple, and the premier are mahogany, but not sure what these defiant drums are? the snare sound live like a cannon warm but cutting like the bass drum. the toms are very cutting not quite as warm. the snare I use often, some times changing with a ludwig supra metal that i use with my premiers. I also have a radio king 6.5X14 wood, tama starclassic 13x5, slingerland 5X14 chrome buddy rich model, a gretch brass 5.5X14, but most jobs I use this Ddrum snare. I work in bars so Ive quit using the slingerlands they are lavender satin and the smokeis hard to clean off,but when i'm outside i use them. but these ddrums sound totally different and ilove the sound, not as rich and complex and the other sets but very nice all the same. great drums would buy them again if i needed another set, great price too. i think they are made by Aotte drums the same people who make Taye, but I could be wrong about this

User Info Menu

Default My New ddrums

It is wild how I got in to this set. I saw a add on CL and some guy had a silver sparkle ddrum set, or part of a set he wanted to sell. I was looking for a silver sparkle snare to go with my silver sparkle sets. So I went and checked them out and they were new in the box in the bubble wrap. It was a 5 1/2x14 snare,8x12 tom and 18x22 bass drum. The color was actually grey sparkle but nice. He had ordered a double bass set and only recieved the one box and never got the other so he bought another set. They never even charged him for it I don't think. I figured the snare would look ok with my sets so I haggled a little with him and gave him $25 for the snare. He wanted $75 for the other 2 drums but I passed. I came home and emailed ddrum about a matching floor tom and they said the Defiant series had been discontinued but gave me the name of a guy in the mid west who had a lot of there old stock. I contacted the guy and he had the 15x16 floor tom for $90 so I decided to buy the other drums and have a set I could play or sell if I wanted to. Come to find out the bass drum claws and tension rods were not in the box so he gave me the tom and kick for $50. The tom had a suspension mount on it that I removed. I called the guy back in the mid west and he had the claws and tension rods for $30 so I ordered those and the floor tom. So for a total of $195 I have this brand new nice little rockin ddrum set. It sounds good too. The bass drum hoops are georgous and made really well. The tom has 2 badges on it??. and the bass drum has Drumfest 2008 on the badge instead of Defiant. I looked that up and those were made especially to be sold at Drumfest in England that year. Must have been overstock or something. I am going to play them at my upcoming gig this Wed night.
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]
    Last edited by VIbes; 06-09-2011 at 08:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: My New ddrums

That's a really nice kit...and an INSANELY nice kit at that price. What are they made out of?

User Info Menu

As far as I know, defiant's were the step up from diablo's, but I never could tell what exactly they changed about them from line to line. That is a really nice sparkle, ddrum definitely has their cosmetic appeal down, I always respected them for that. Are those 2.3mm rims? I wish they would have tried those out on the dominion line, for some reason they just had to stick cast on all the models in the series(I can almost guarantee they were trying to compete with Tama here). I would probably change the stocks if you plan on gigging them. How are you liking the kit so far?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I am not sure what size rimms those are. I do know the drums are more heavy literally, than they look hardware wise. The heads on the snare and toms sound fine to me. I had to work with the Bass drum a little but it sounds good now. The heads have those re-ring type heads on them and I don't have any muffleing in it. I have been playing them this afternoon.
    I am going to stay with those stock heads for now. Toms sound nice. I kept A-B ing them with my Camco 8x12 and Gretsh 16x16 and they sound very similar. Nice ringing tone.
    The kick is nice and deep, loud if you kick it hard. This is the first 18x22 Bass drum I have ever played. I think they are Basswood. All the drums a virgin. They sound good to me. I like them. I had bags and cases for everything except the Bass drum but the guy also sold me a nice Gator Bag for $40 including shipping. So I have a gig bag for my 22" bass drums if I dont use the hard case.

User Info Menu

They are really nice looking, thats for sure. Good score.

User Info Menu

anyone tried the reflex
    To become a great drummer first you must be humble enough to learn

My set up

Mapex Meridian Birch - Transparent Walnut

20x22 Bass
    10x7 & 12x8 Rack
    14x12 & 16x14 Floor

Chad Smith signature Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post

Great, great score man, and they look really cool too. I can't believe the price you put that together for, it is just insane. Congrats man.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

My dios maple kit.

User Info Menu

My Ddrum D2:

-Gretsch Catalina Maple
    -Sabian Xs20 14in Hi-Hat
    -Sabian Xs20 14in Medium Thin Crash
    -Sabian Xs20 16in Medium Thin Crash
    -Sabian Xs20 18in Medium Thin Crash
    -Sabian AAX Omni 22in Ride
    -Sabian AAX V-Crash 16in
    -DW 3000 Hardware
    -Pearl Powershifter Eliminator Double Pedal

~Sabian Squad~

User Info Menu

What kid if wood is in the d2 shells?
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deedubs! View Post
    What kid if wood is in the d2 shells?
    They are Basswood shells
    -Gretsch Catalina Maple
    -Sabian Xs20 14in Hi-Hat
    -Sabian Xs20 14in Medium Thin Crash
    -Sabian Xs20 16in Medium Thin Crash
    -Sabian Xs20 18in Medium Thin Crash
    -Sabian AAX Omni 22in Ride
    -Sabian AAX V-Crash 16in
    -DW 3000 Hardware
    -Pearl Powershifter Eliminator Double Pedal

~Sabian Squad~

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ohfirefighter View Post
    They are Basswood shells
    Thanks!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Does anyone have a steel diode snare? If so, how many lugs?
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

One I found on ebay..

Would very happily own this
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    One I found on ebay..

Would very happily own this
    What a beauty!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    What a beauty!
    +1
    Hells yeah!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Just bought a golf ball ddrum snare. 13*6.5 inch. This thing sounds sweet and for the price. I paid 235 AU. Put a power centre batter head and 300 reso and with pure sound wires. Im struggling with getting all lugs tuned identically never had a snare with these dimensions but it does sound sweet so far. Still working on it. Anyone had any experience with this snare?
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    It is wild how I got in to this set. I saw a add on CL and some guy had a silver sparkle ddrum set, or part of a set he wanted to sell. I was looking for a silver sparkle snare to go with my silver sparkle sets. So I went and checked them out and they were new in the box in the bubble wrap. It was a 5 1/2x14 snare,8x12 tom and 18x22 bass drum. The color was actually grey sparkle but nice. He had ordered a double bass set and only recieved the one box and never got the other so he bought another set. They never even charged him for it I don't think. I figured the snare would look ok with my sets so I haggled a little with him and gave him $25 for the snare. He wanted $75 for the other 2 drums but I passed. I came home and emailed ddrum about a matching floor tom and they said the Defiant series had been discontinued but gave me the name of a guy in the mid west who had a lot of there old stock. I contacted the guy and he had the 15x16 floor tom for $90 so I decided to buy the other drums and have a set I could play or sell if I wanted to. Come to find out the bass drum claws and tension rods were not in the box so he gave me the tom and kick for $50. The tom had a suspension mount on it that I removed. I called the guy back in the mid west and he had the claws and tension rods for $30 so I ordered those and the floor tom. So for a total of $195 I have this brand new nice little rockin ddrum set. It sounds good too. The bass drum hoops are georgous and made really well. The tom has 2 badges on it??. and the bass drum has Drumfest 2008 on the badge instead of Defiant. I looked that up and those were made especially to be sold at Drumfest in England that year. Must have been overstock or something. I am going to play them at my upcoming gig this Wed night.
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]

Love that colour - matches my car!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

My old dios maple kit cut down to fit my 3 year old son! (my one year old son plays it just as much, but can't reach the pedals )

1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    That's a really nice kit...and an INSANELY nice kit at that price. What are they made out of?
    According to the Ddrum web site the Defiant series is made of Basswood Shells.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deedubs! View Post
    My old dios maple kit cut down to fit my 3 year old son! (my one year old son plays it just as much, but can't reach the pedals )

Looks awesome, love the tube lugs! The toms and snare seem low and easy to reach, it actually kinda makes the kick look massive.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Hey guys, what are you opinions on the Dios kits? are they pro? I see deals for 2 up 1 down for 850.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Hey guys! Nice ddrum's! The AMX is a blend of different woods, correct JDOG?I love that silver sparkle, that's sharp looking bish. Here's an aerial view of my ddrum's from a recording session that I had last month.