Thread: Favorite Patterns/beats?

User Info Menu

Default Favorite Patterns/beats?

I play Percussion at my Church (just learning, was a drummer but like this much better) -

I am trying to learn some good patterns that I can "plug in" to various songs, which are contemporary Christain 4/4 and some 3/4 or 6/8. So, far I like the Merenge, Tumbao (with variations) 3-2 Clave, Bembe.

Any other really good ones I should consider?

BTW - Had to fill in for the drummer today - can't wait to get back to the skins

User Info Menu

Default Re: Favorite Patterns/beats?

Tumbao can fit into just about anything it seems like, as can clave. You mentioned 3-2 clave, but I bet you are refering to the 3-2 form of Son Clave. You could spice it up a wee bit with Rumba Clave - that simple delay of the 3rd note can make a real difference in the feel

Code:
    1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a
    X..X...X..X.X...
    There are a ton of other beats I really like, but I don't know how well they will fit into contemporary music...
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

I think thats what I am doing ..but I count it differently in 8th notes .. so

1 2+ 4 2 3..

User Info Menu

Tumbao will fit into almost anything with a backbeat. Look at Guaguanco as well.

User Info Menu

ShaneRoney - I just checked the Guaguanco out on youtube and practiced it to a couple of songs.. Its excellent and fits between the drummers beats perfectly.. thanks for the tip!! just wish I coud pronounce it

User Info Menu

Guaguanco - Wah-wahn-koh

User Info Menu

Next step is to play 3/2 clave with your right hand on a bell/block/tambourine and play the guaguanco open tones only on the congas. It's very fun and not too hard to get together.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Favorite Patterns/beats?

I wanted to show y'all some of the things I did--or at least break them down graphically--but I couldn't get mine to come out as nicely as midgard! But all those beats work great on the hand drums!

Midgard, what's your secret?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

The secret is to put them in a code block. When you post normally, it uses a non-proportional font (each char has a different width) and strips out multiple spaces into a single space. If you put it in a code block, it leaves the spaces intact and uses a proportional font (each char has a fixed width). You can do this by putting the following commands around your text [CODE ] and [ /CODE] (but take the space out of it, had to put that in so it would display!)

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    I wanted to show y'all some of the things I did--or at least break them down graphically--but I couldn't get mine to come out as nicely as midgard! But all those beats work great on the hand drums!

Midgard, what's your secret?
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

have to say 8 notes and flams

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdl1881 View Post
    I play Percussion at my Church (just learning, was a drummer but like this much better) -

I am trying to learn some good patterns that I can "plug in" to various songs, which are contemporary Christain 4/4 and some 3/4 or 6/8. So, far I like the Merenge, Tumbao (with variations) 3-2 Clave, Bembe.

Any other really good ones I should consider?

BTW - Had to fill in for the drummer today - can't wait to get back to the skins
    For now I like it simple.

I practice the Bolero and Old style Tumbao with 2 drums and the Marcha and Bata with 3 drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    For now I like it simple.

I practice the Bolero and Old style Tumbao with 2 drums and the Marcha and Bata with 3 drums.
    Try the Guaguanco By Rudy Quesada, theres alot of Guaguanco's out there but I like the way his has a smoother flow then the others and he got it from Cuba from Roberto Vizcaino. Plus You have three congas and he has method for two or three congas, he may have methods for four but I'm not sure.
    L4C

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Try the Guaguanco By Rudy Quesada, theres alot of Guaguanco's out there but I like the way his has a smoother flow then the others and he got it from Cuba from Roberto Vizcaino. Plus You have three congas and he has method for two or three congas, he may have methods for four but I'm not sure.
    L4C
    Did it already! I like Rudy too! He takes the time to slow down for people and really seems to care. I have that on my desktop and set the congas in front of my computer and watch Rudy play the two and three drum Guaguanco.

PS I still can't wait for my mule skin from Greece. I hope it's not too ringy on my 11 3/4"? I hear it takes several months to work in also.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    Did it already! I like Rudy too! He takes the time to slow down for people and really seems to care. I have that on my desktop and set the congas in front of my computer and watch Rudy play the two and three drum Guaguanco.

PS I still can't wait for my mule skin from Greece. I hope it's not too ringy on my 11 3/4"? I hear it takes several months to work in also.
    LOL! Isn't that funny, I do the same thing. It's like something from a futuristic movie, instead of a teacher we sit in front of a machine with are musical instuments to learn how to play. My wife just nods her head like I'm crazy when she see's me with three drums in front of the computer! LOL!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    LOL! Isn't that funny, I do the same thing. It's like something from a futuristic movie, instead of a teacher we sit in front of a machine with are musical instuments to learn how to play. My wife just nods her head like I'm crazy when she see's me with three drums in front of the computer! LOL!!!!
    We must have similar environments at the home front. I am always trying to sneak away from my wife and 5 kids to play the drums. I even put blankets over them at times to stay quiet while I bang on them. Ha! Ha!.