Thread: New Heads and a Drum Dial!

User Info Menu

Default New Heads and a Drum Dial!

I went to Sam Ash today and picked up a set of Evans hydraulics for my toms, and bought their demo drum dial (last one) with a discount!

The heads are just what I was looking for! I have 3 moon gels on the small toms and 4 on the 16 and it's perfect for the house! I have the Soundproof pad on the snare but it REALLY deadens it. I'd like to find an in between damper.

Now, for the drum dial. I ended up with 75 on the batter and 70 on the reso for the toms. I did 85-80 on the snare and it seems ok for the house. What a nice tool! I didn't check how much they discounted, and now I don't care! It is worth 60 bucks!!

Anyways, I really like the sound of the poplar shells with hydraulic heads! One question tho, is it normal to see oil dots on these heads? Seems like a lot of oil to me.......
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Heads and a Drum Dial!

Congrats on the Drum Dial and the new Hydraulics Charly! There are others here that swear by the Drum Dial, so you are in good company. As to the oil "dots," since the thin layer of oil can move between the two plies of the head, seeing "dots" should not be unusual.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks!
    I was thinking about getting a 10' tom and replacing the 13 with it. Now that the kit s tuned with the Drumdial, there is nice separation between the two toms!!! It really sounds good!!! Drumdial is HIGHLY recommended!!!
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506

User Info Menu

Cool, nice device, and it paid for itself by saving you money! What's not to love?!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Ive heard about this drum dial and seen pix, but Ive never seen one in action.
    what does setting it at 70 mean exactly? what does it measure and where on the skin is it placed ? can you please enlighten me, also how long have you been playing/tuning drums, is it only for newies or can an old dog like me actually learn something new.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I am BRAND NEW so.......

The dial is put on the head about 3/4 of an inch from the hoop right at each lug. It is measuring tension, so that each lug has the exact amount needed. If you try and go by torque on the lug, you are not sure how that translates to head tension. There is a chart that comes with it that puts you in the ball park for the different type heads.

I think it would help anyone get close a LOT quicker, and especially if you always use the same heads. Replacement would be a no brainer, once you dial it in and record the numbers!!
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    I am BRAND NEW so.......

The dial is put on the head about 3/4 of an inch from the hoop right at each lug. It is measuring tension, so that each lug has the exact amount needed. If you try and go by torque on the lug, you are not sure how that translates to head tension. There is a chart that comes with it that puts you in the ball park for the different type heads.

I think it would help anyone get close a LOT quicker, and especially if you always use the same heads. Replacement would be a no brainer, once you dial it in and record the numbers!!
    so do you tap the skin with a stick like when tuning normal or just tighten the lugs and the # changes?

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

No tapping, just the gauge!!
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506

User Info Menu

I have alway tuned my drums by ear, but I am curious about how you would tune the toms with the Drum Dial, since they are usually at somewhat of an angle. Would you have to change their position to get them flat in order to tune them?

User Info Menu

Yes, they need to be flat enough so the dial doesn't slide off. I did my 16 floor first, then put my sound off on top of the floor tom, just removed each one, including the snare and sat it on top and did both sides. I thought it was a very efficient, and since I have memlocks, the toms just went right back where they belong!!

The fellow I work with took home the drumdial last night to tune his church's drums, and he is supremely impressed! He says it was amazing how far off some of the lugs were!! And now he can hear the difference in HIS toms too!!
    Last edited by CharlyG; 02-03-2009 at 01:13 PM.
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506

User Info Menu

I have been tuning by ear for 20 years and finally got a Drum Dial last year. I am very impressed with how much easier it is to get a good sound. I tuned a drum by ear, then put the dial on and found that the tension varied by as much as 10 (psi?) per lug.

The only problems I see are:
    1) I am now way too anal about having everything exact.
    2) If you never learn to tune by ear, you will be screwed if you need to tune and don't have the dial on hand.
    3) It's fairly bulky to fit in a stick bag.
    4) The drums need to be off the kit on a flat surface.

I basically just check everything bi-weekly while my kit is at home and this has worked well for me.

User Info Menu

Yes, I highly recommend the DD too, even if you are an old pro at tuning. I had a 10" that defied tuning, and the DD helped me make that tom my Nancy.

You should take the toms of and sit them flat when using the DD, unless they are only at a very slight angle.

I write my dial settings at the top of my snare head in small letters - it won't get lost that way.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

You guys are really tempting me to check out the Drum Dial!

User Info Menu

PB, let me throw another "angle" at you. I have used my drum dial while the drums were setup on stage. No volume to worry about and I didn't have to have them flat.

I just put the dial on the head and with my other hand turned the drum key...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Yeah, it's the sliding off that you have to watch for, it reads fine!
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506

User Info Menu

I know what im getting soon...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Congrats on the Drum Dial and the new Hydraulics Charly! There are others here that swear by the Drum Dial, so you are in good company. As to the oil "dots," since the thin layer of oil can move between the two plies of the head, seeing "dots" should not be unusual.

Spot on PB

User Info Menu

what about the #'s do you have to change them for different heads sizes? like what would a 12" reso and batter be at, compared to a 16" floor?
    and do they use them on a kick batter and reso? what # would that be?

I do know my hearing is not what it used to be and I might get one of theses puppies. thx man u have me intrigued.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

They have a table that shows relative settings for the different type of heads. Each different design(2ply, coated) would have a different tension. It gives numbers for the bass, snare, and all sizes of toms. They are ball park numbers but they get you REALLY close! The resos aren't listed as some like them below, the same, or above the tension of the batter. All my toms with Evans Hydraulics are at 75 batter-70 reso and sound great.
    Last edited by CharlyG; 02-04-2009 at 08:53 AM.
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    They have a table that shows relative settings for the different type of heads. Each different design(2ply, coated) would have a different tension. It gives numbers for the bass, snare, and all sizes of toms. They are ball park numbers but they get you REALLY close! The resos aren't listed as some like them below, the same, or above the tension of the batter. All my toms with Evans Hydraulics are at 75 batter-70 reso and sound great.
    cheers man I learned something new.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Yep, I bought one a couple of months ago and I'm very impressed with it as well. It's not exact - but it gets you close enough so that you can fine tune from there. I trust my ears, but when you get a problem drum that's just giving you fits the Drum Dial helps you to zero in on the sweet spot.

Saves a lot of time and aggravation as far as I'm concerned.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Drum Dial is worth it, no question. I borrow my bro's whenever I'm retuning.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle