Thread: Coated EC2 and EC Reso Combination

User Info Menu

Default Coated EC2 and EC Reso Combination

I finally got all my heads changed; EC-2 Coated batters and EC Reso's on all my toms. I must say I am very pleased with the results. It took some time(all day) to get them all tuned, but I got them all right where I want them, I'm not the most experienced tuner but I think I got the sweet spot on them all except my 14x11, I don't know if it's me or maybe I got a bad head. I'm going to mess with it tomorrow and if I can't get it I'll buy another head. I just want to get this info out there for others with an M Birch because I think it's a real nice head combo. They don't eliminate all the overtones but they focus it real nice, and I got a real nice warm punch out of my kit now, I think this is how they were meant to sound. Thank You Evans!
    Mapex Saturn, Cherry Sparkle, 6 piece Studioese

Black Panther Cherry/Maple

Sabian AA cymbals

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Coated EC2 and EC Reso Combination

EC 2 take time to break in, play them for awhile you will like them even better Nuff Said

User Info Menu

My 14X11 maple is a pain to tune. Trying to get the right progression of decay and roundess from small to large toms specially when the larger toms always seem to like higher tuning and your using two-ply wich is even harder. When are we gonna make smart heads that tune themeselves.

The dreams I have

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Get Enough View Post
    My 14X11 maple is a pain to tune. Trying to get the right progression of decay and roundess from small to large toms specially when the larger toms always seem to like higher tuning and your using two-ply wich is even harder. When are we gonna make smart heads that tune themeselves.

The dreams I have
    I have a 14x14 that tuned just right, it has a nice overtone, my 14x11 just seems dead, no overtone.
    Mapex Saturn, Cherry Sparkle, 6 piece Studioese

Black Panther Cherry/Maple

Sabian AA cymbals

User Info Menu

what i do to break new heads in is tune them all to their max, leave em that way overnight, come back in the morning and tune them all to the right levels. that way it takes a long time to come out of tune, and they sound a little better to me personally. thanks for the post, i thought bout this combo, but i was afraid to try it cause ive been using coated g2 batters and clear g1 reso's for years. i think ill try it though very soon!

User Info Menu

The dreaded experiment
    Last edited by Cant Get Enough; 02-02-2009 at 12:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Ec Resos are just plain awesome...anyone not trying them is missing out, they really make a big difference

User Info Menu

I had a 14x14 floor tom with the EC2 on top and stock single ply reso. It sounded nice at any tuning. I sold that kit and my new one has a 14x12, which I cannot get a good sound out of at any tuning with the EC2. The 10x10, 12x12, and 16x14 all sound good. I'm noticing a pattern here.