Thread: Another tuning thread...

User Info Menu

Default Another tuning thread...

OK, I read the tuning bible but it's either over my head, or I'm too tired... maybe a combo.... LOL

I find it difficult to equate sound by descriptive words, but in short, I want a sound with warm body, short resonance/fast decay but not muted, and good attack. Something close to Lars Ulrich's sound on Metallica's Black album.

I have REMO Weatherking pinstripes for batters and ambassadors as resos. My rack toms are huge! They are 12x12 and 12x13 and the FT is 16x16.

To accomplish such a sound, do I tune my batter/resonant heads to the same pitch, or does the batter go higher or lower in pitch than the reso?

Do I need different style heads?

Is the Quadura poly/wood blend REMO used just to darn weird to accomplish this?
    Last edited by CycleDude; 03-11-2009 at 09:55 AM.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Another tuning thread...

imo there's only so much pinstripes can do

as far as toms go i tune the batter the same as the res

User Info Menu

You'll never get the sound of the Black album. They used more than 20 room mics (tracks) to achieve the sound on that album and unfortunately most of us don't have 20' cielings and a 50' rooms and unlimited tracks. Plus they Eq'd extensivley.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Get Enough View Post
    You'll never get the sound of the Black album. They used more than 20 room mics (tracks) to achieve the sound on that album and unfortunately most of us don't have 20' cielings and a 50' rooms and unlimited tracks. Plus they Eq'd extensivley.
    LOL! True enough, but as I said, sometimes adjectives to describe sound are tough. I figure to describe it like the Black album helps bring that description to life.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    imo there's only so much pinstripes can do

as far as toms go i tune the batter the same as the res
    Would you suggest a different head?
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Maybe, reasking the question differently...

How does reso head tuning effect ring/decay, or does it not effect it at all? Is this controlled more by the batter head type and less than whether the heads are equal in pitch or if one is higher/lower than the other?
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

To give an example...I have a set of antique drums that are "single" tensioned, meaning no lugs. The top head and bottom head are always the same tension to each other like mirror image. The heads ring in "sympathetic" vibration and create this monstrous sustain. But for the sound you want, you need to tune them one at a time. A good way to do it is take the batter off and tune the reso, so you can hear its sound with no influence from the batter. Put the batte on and then "season" more of less to taste. You may need to consider some sort of muffling to really tweak it in. Great drums there. Something about those Remo shells sound golden to my ears. Good luck!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Hiya.

Only just seen your message to me, sorry for the delay.

I used remos for a few years, and was happy with the Tom sound, It was a sound that cut through well. My sound was, and indeed is, small drums, tuned low and hit hard. I usually had Pinstripe tops and ambassador bottoms, and 10" 12" and 14" toms.

Basically I would tune the toms finger tight, then just take each head up till it started to get some resonance, then stop there.

Cheers

Andy

User Info Menu

Hi Andy, Thanks for replying, and no worries 'bout the delay man.

I realized that ideally what I wanted was smaller drums to get the sound I wanted. I just couldnt get those huge power toms to get the smaller 10" sound. I have since sold the Remo kit on flea-bay and bought a gorgeous new Gretsch Catalina Maple.

I'm continuing to learn more about tuning. Most of my drum years consisted of "hit it like chris brown" but now I'm learning a more musical and tonal approach, and these maple shells with remo emperor batters and ambassador resos just sing.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Kevin...Tuning the Reso head is very important as it will relate to the sound that you want. I've tried all the ways that I've been told about tuning the batter lower than the Reso and then the opposite. What I finally arrived at was to use a coated batter that is slightly thicker than the reso. In my case: coated Ambassador batter with a clear Diplomat reso. The slight variation between the two allows me to broaden the tuning of the the drums. I use these particular heads for two reasons: 1. The Remo head fits the rounded bearing edges of my drums much better than does the Evans or Aquarian. 2. As I play big band jazz, I need the toms to "Cut" through and that requires a higher pitch but, without choking the tone. I'm not overly concerned about the depth of sound I get because my toms are 9 x 13 top and 16 x 16 floor.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks, Frank. Like I said, I'm re-inventing myself. New kit, new skins, new tunings, etc and I'm having a ball doing it.

My wife is getting jealous of the new kit and the time I'm spending with her... LOL!
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

As I said in your other post, tuning the heads to the same pitch/tone will result in the fat full sound your looking for. Tune top head higher than bottom for quick decay with lot's of attack. Tune the bottom head higher for that Boing you can't stand. This gives you more resonance and can produce some interesting drum sounds. You will be playing with tuning for the rest of your life. It's one of the more frustrating yet rewarding aspects of this great profession.
    1971 Ludwig 3-ply Maple 7-piece shell set in Oyster Black Pearl w Supraphonic Snare
    1968 Mica-Sonic Deluxe 9-ply Luan Mahogony 4 piece jazz set in Aqua Satin Flame
    2004 Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz 7-ply Phillipene Mahogony 4 piece in Nitron Marine Pearl
    Lot's of old Zildjian A's, some K's, a few Sabiens, and a few Paiste

User Info Menu

bob gatzen says the bottom should be an "A" and the top should be a "C Sharp"

User Info Menu

bob gatzen says the bottom should be an "A" and the top should be a "C Sharp"

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

The only thing that I know about tuning the resonant head lower is that since it will resonate a lower frequency, you will get a boingy sound - described as a "decending tone" because you will have an initial tone from the batter on the attack, followed closely by the lower tone of the resonant head. I, personally, prefer the batter and resonant head to be tuned the same, just for the openness, and purity of the sound. Just my preference though.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The A and C# thing is for the snare ONLY!
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Thanks Charly, I was thinking the same thing, but I wasn't sure, since I don't tune to a note. The thought I gave on tuning in my last post was concerning my toms. I should have made that clear.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

dunno if this has been posted but

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOEboBhNwYU"]YouTube - Drum Tuning - getting different sounds[/ame]
    Last edited by Quadcam79; 03-20-2009 at 12:54 AM.

User Info Menu

i love this guy

true blue aussie!