Thread: when should i......

insane-asylum Guest

Default when should i......

Im a sort of beginning drummer i have been drumming for about 2 months but i learn fast. Im a soph in high school. When should i start looking for like a garash band to get me kinda lifted off?

User Info Menu

Default Re: when should i......

Now!!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Sure now seems like the right time- it might be a good fit if you find people who are at a similar skill level as yourself, just so no one gets frustrated with each other. Are ya taking lessons? I hear they're handy! Good luck in your "journey"
    Russ

User Info Menu

Ditto to the above. The sooner you start playing with others, the better. Even if everyone is just doing basic riffs, etc. it will help with your timing and you will be comfortable playing with others.

All the best.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Insane-asylam!

I agree that getting to play with others is an awesome experience, and will really push you to get better. I also agree that you should find people that are near the same level that you are, or even just a little better than you, if they can handle the fact that you are growing. Playing alone is important for practice, but learning to play with others is an important skill.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'm glad that you "learn fast." Use that aptitude and start taking lessons from a good teacher. In a few months time, you may learn enough of some basics that would put you into a band so that you can continue to develop. Never be in such a rush that you lose sight of your desire to play. If you aren't able to take lessons, privately, learn as much as you can from your school band director. Study drum videos, there are plenty posted here in the Forum by some excellent drummers.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

asap!!!!!! My drumming imporved tenfold since i strted drumming in a group. It gives u a sense of direcction. With a band there are new levels you can progress to in a gruop. When you are practising on your own it kinda sucks

User Info Menu

Im a freshy and im in a band that me and my friends made 2 weeks ago and our first rehersal was yesterday and our first gig is in 2 weeks were all experienced except for the guitarist whos been playing for 1 year but he can handle the stuff were playing right now.

User Info Menu

I have playing for over three years and was only in a band for a few weeks with my cousins but that fell apart after we wrote 1 song, and i am ok with that. I have a decent number of people ask me to be the drummer for their band, and i have said no because i didnt feel the urge to play with them. its not the starting a band that is important but the playing with others that is. i suggest you join the jazz band at your school for the group experience and start a garage band when you feel like your ready to do so. Once you find a group of people that you like jammin with then run with it but never start a band because you feel like you have to.

I suggest you also take lessons for a while (i have for 3 over three years and consider my first lesson the day i started playing the drums)
    -Steven

User Info Menu

as soon as possible!

insane-asylum Guest

yeah i have talked to a guy about drum lessons and hopefully it works out.
    i had an idea that worked out pretty good i got some muting pads and cut them in smaller circles and glues them to a piece of wood and it makes a nice practice set up for like 15 bucks instead of 150 for a practice set

User Info Menu

Insane,
    I did the same thing with a "Simpsons" mouse pad for my son. If it hasn't already been said, practice your rudiments. They are the foundation for drumming, building timing and speed naturally.

Good luck.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

I also agree with all of the above statements.......music lessons and playing with other musicians that are on your level will definately help you increase your skills . Welcome to the board .

User Info Menu

Hey Insane, Welcome to Drum Chat!!

I think you'll find that most members here suffer from some degree of insanity as well, we just don't all put it in our screen names!

I started a garage band with friends in my teens - most of them were at the same skill level as I was at that time. I would say as soon as you feel comfortable doing it. If you have the confidence to play with others, then go for it!

You will learn a lot playing with other musicians, and it's a lot more fun than just playing on your own. That being said, what the others have said concerning lessons and learning rudiments are something you will find very helpful. Playing with other musicians is great, but it will also point out areas where you need work. That's a good thing too though.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

insane-asylum Guest

yeah haha thats what im thinking of naming a band when i get in 1 /m/>,</m/

and thanx 4 the advice i agree itsgood to have our weak spots pointed out so we can work on them

User Info Menu

I feel like today i broke through my shyness and am ready to start a band. I think most people would say they had an experience that told them they were ready for a band.

In jazz band today, I put my own soul and feel into the song i was playing, and It sounded really good, I gained alot of confidence and think that Im ready to play in front of people
    -Steven

insane-asylum Guest

thats really cool
    all the best