Thread: perfect tuning

User Info Menu

Default perfect tuning

i use DTS drum tuning systems, you just connect it to your drum and it tunes every rod at the same time! i combine that with a drumdial, and my tuning is always perfect. its a bit pricey, but good tone is priceless right?

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: perfect tuning

Quote Originally Posted by MortalDrumbat View Post
    i use DTS drum tuning systems, you just connect it to your drum and it tunes every rod at the same time! i combine that with a drumdial, and my tuning is always perfect. its a bit pricey, but good tone is priceless right?
    They are not that good sorry. On thin drums they put to much pressure on shell. Nuff Said

User Info Menu

MDB, I'm glad that it works for you! It's always nice to find a method that releases the tone of the drums.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Perfect is subjective. Every drum is going to have it's own tone due to inherent imperfections on wood. Maybe that's why we drummers get so caught up in what we do. Tuning a drum is vital to our playing. Aids such as DTS Tuning and Drum Dials can be a help as we develop our "Ears." Use the dials as you must but never forget that your ear is the most perfect tuning device you will ever have.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

patience and drum key is the best way to tune a drum

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    patience and drum key is the best way to tune a drum
    Ditto Nuff Said

User Info Menu

I looked into the dial tuner, but I didnt bite, I decided whats the point in getting the drums [close to where they should be] just to tweak them afterwards to what my ear prefers without the tuner?!!
    I guess if you are a newbie to tuning, then the dial will save a lot of guess work in getting you somewhere close to a nice sound. I guess after 30 years its just secod nature.
    all the best.

Official cowbell hater.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    I looked into the dial tuner, but I didnt bite, I decided whats the point in getting the drums [close to where they should be] just to tweak them afterwards to what my ear prefers without the tuner?!!
    I guess if you are a newbie to tuning, then the dial will save a lot of guess work in getting you somewhere close to a nice sound. I guess after 30 years its just secod nature.
    all the best.
    Ditto, my ears still work even with the ringing lol

User Info Menu

Dial saves time when putting on new heads, etc... I've been doing this 30+ years as well, and I find that while I can get close with my ear, it's faster to get close with the dial, then tweak with my ear.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I use the DTS on the reso's only and yes...they are that good. Just because a product makes something easier doesn't mean that the person who uses it is impatient or less of a musician. Work smarter not harder I always say.

User Info Menu

They are good suppliments to the ear and feel. I tend to use my torque key to ensure all rods are even then I use my ear and feel. The feel of the head for me is sjsut as important as the sound.

Larrysperf Guest

I was answering about the dts not drum dial