Thread: A Custom hi-hats

User Info Menu

Default A Custom hi-hats

OK....I have 2 pairs of hi-hats that i currently use....14" Zildjian New Beats and a pair of 14" A Custom Projection hats....I use the A Customs as my primary hi-hat, and i have the New Beats mounted just above my ride cymbal on the right side, on a fixed mount.....I was wondering if anyone has a set of A Custom 13" Mastersound hi-hats....I know I checked them out years ago, but I cant quite remember exactly what they sounded like....I seem to vaguely remember that I liked them....but what I want to do is use the 13" Mastersounds (if I buy them) as my primary hat, and switch the Projection hats to my secondary hat...I looked at the few local music stores, and no one has them in stock for me to check out...I get the old "we can order those for you"...but I'm not spending 300 bucks on something I can't listen to before purchase, ya know? There is a difference in sound between the A Custom Projections and the New Beats, but not as much of a difference as I would like.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

I am currently looking for the same thing in 14". I have played both the 13" and 14" and I prefer the 14". I really like the higher pitched chick that you get from the Mastersounds. You don't get the airlock from them that you do with regular hats because of the wavy edge on the bottom hat, which gives them faster response. They project the sound a lot more also because when they are closed, there are small gaps on the edge for air and sound to escape.

Check out Zildjian's website as they have sound clips on there of the different models. They sound good on there, but the real thing is sooo much sweeter!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Yeah, that's why I was thinking about getting them, I like the idea of the wavy-edged bottom hi-hat...but like I said, I already have 14" A Customs, so I want a different sound. Thanks bro
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

I have used the A Custom Mastersounds and they are beatiful.. After playing everything I have in my life I can safely say I've never played anything better. Not K Customs and not HHX.. They are simply awesome!
    God Bless & Rock On
    Current Set: Yamaha 7pc Maple Custom Abosulte
    Current Cymbals: Zildjian A Custom Cymbals
    Hardware: Yamaha 1100 Series, and DW 5000 Series Kick

User Info Menu

right now i hav a 14" mastersounds and i love em. you can get really good control on the sound from the hi-hat because of that sound edge. i didn't like the 13" as much because it seemed a little weaker than the 14's

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum
    You don't get the airlock from them that you do with regular hats because of the wavy edge on the bottom hat,
    I've heard heaps about airlock, but never noticed it myself (probably the gear I'm using).

What's it like? Is it really a hassle?

User Info Menu

Not really, it just slows the chick by a fraction of a second because of the added pressure of the air pushing out.

I was thinking of finding an old pair of hats and drilling holes in the bottom to create a vent for the hats to get the sound edge effect.
    i must be the only hip hop fan here

User Info Menu

i use 14 inch a custom hi-hats (not mastersound)..and i like em a lot..even tho i said i didnt b 4..