Thread: "ahead" drum sticks

insane-asylum Guest

Default "ahead" drum sticks

Has anyone had any expiriance with the carbon fiber drumsticks made by "ahead".
    i know there supposed to be good but i wanted to see who has any expiriance with them b4 i make the 35 buck investment

User Info Menu

Default Re: "ahead" drum sticks

i used to have a pair. They have both advantages, and disadvantages.

Granted one pair lasts longer, because you only have to change the shaft cover/ tips a few times, they do eventually break.

Personally, i like the sound of wood sticks better, plus you can't do rim shots with the ahead drum sticks, it does not sound like it would with wood sticks.

The Ahead sticks come in different sizes just like wood sticks, about the only real plus side to them is they do not shed, or split like wood sticks.

User Info Menu

I used these for a year or so. They felt fine and were very durable. The only problem was that I completely lost a good ride bell sound when playing with the shoulder of the stick. I did eventually break one.

insane-asylum Guest

yeah than i think ill stick with wood sticks.i have used my first pair of sticks since i got them and they r holding up. i like the bell sound lol

User Info Menu

i used to have a pair of carbosticks. after a year they broke and i went back to an old pair of wood sticks which i had lying around just for the time being. i liked the wooden ones so much more after that that i decided to buy a nice wooden pair and then some carbon ones again. went to the shop, only bought the wooden ones and told myself i'll buy the carbons next time. next time i bough 2 pairs of wooden ones and told myself i'll buy carbon ones next time. until i eventually forgot about it until this thread popped up. but i'll buy some next time!

User Info Menu

I have some by aquarian and i havent used them much but my drum teacher he loves them because he plays metal he always breaks a stick in rehersal with his band but these have lasted 5 rehersals.

Personally a i use 3as wooden sticks so i dont worry about to much breakage but i do hate how wooden tips will break.

Btw carbosticks do shed atleast the aquarians do.

User Info Menu

I have a pair of Ahead 5A's. You will have to replace the sleeves over time as they get chewed up. I think you would have to have some serious strength or a very (un)lucky hit to break one of these things.

The "play" (i.e., rebound and shock absorption) on the Ahead is certainly different from a wood stick, as well as it's sound. I found it to create a slightly higher tone with more attack than, say, a hickory stick. I break them out from time to time at rehearsals, but don't really use them for gigs.

I definitely agree that the poor bell and rim click sounds are a major down side. But the best way to determine what you prefer is to try them out before you buy.
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

I got the Joey Jordison ahead sticks and I love 'em. And also have the ahead drummers glove and those things are friggin' sweet!