Thread: Reducing snare effect on toms

User Info Menu

Default Reducing snare effect on toms

Hey everybody,

Ive got al little problem thats been bothering me extra lately, if I hit my toms, Ive got this loud sizling of my snare , is there anyway to reduce this effect? And not by turning the snares off

If the problem is not clear, feel free to say it.

Al comments welcome
    Last edited by Bafke; 12-18-2006 at 10:36 AM.

User Info Menu

try tightening your snare wires on your snare, adjusting the tuning on both the reso and batter heads of the snare drum and the toms.
    i used to always have this problem till i got some good heads and tightened the snares.

User Info Menu

If I tighten the wires on my snare I get that crapy sound... maybe I should replace my drumheads as you say...
    However, I don't know much about drumheads, any tips you (our someone else of course) want to share?

User Info Menu

Try putting a blanket under your snare and moving it away from your toms.. Or am I talking about something totally different.
    God Bless & Rock On
    Current Set: Yamaha 7pc Maple Custom Abosulte
    Current Cymbals: Zildjian A Custom Cymbals
    Hardware: Yamaha 1100 Series, and DW 5000 Series Kick

User Info Menu

I had the same problem and it took a little playing around to clear it up. The biggest part is that the resonate head of the Tom and Snare are close in pitch or octives. So you need to adjust the resonate heads. Keep these things in mind:

Snare
    - The beater head of the snare is the main driving force in the pitch of the snare. The resonate head is very thin.
    - The tighter the head, the more the snares will vibrate and make the 'snare' sound.
    - The looser the head, the less the snares will vibrate.
    - The tighter the snares are pulled against the head, the shorter the snare effect will be. This islead to a tight quick snap sound.
    - The looser the snares are pulled against the head, the longer the snare effect will be.

I f you want I can do a more 'complete' write up on drum tuning that has worked great for me over the years.

Keith

Keith

User Info Menu

I tuned my snare, an I got rid of the sizling effect. However, I hate the sound of my snare now, and i can't find a way to make it sound good without having the sizling effect on my toms again :(.

User Info Menu

Well, the snare buzz may be something that you have to live with. My snare buzzes too, but like Kromberg said, it's because my snare and my 10" tom are close in pitch.....but they are tuned where I like them, so I live with the snare buzz. Besides, in a band situation, with guitars and bass and vocals and whatnot, you won't even hear that snare buzz.....or, you'll get used to it to the point where you won't even notice it.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Something else you can try is to put a piece of duct tape in the basket of your snare stand so just a small flap sticks up that rest lightly on all the snare wires, preferably as close to the rim as you can. This will eliminate a lot of buzz and it won't cause any more sizzle than what you want!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    Well, the snare buzz may be something that you have to live with. My snare buzzes too, but like Kromberg said, it's because my snare and my 10" tom are close in pitch.....but they are tuned where I like them, so I live with the snare buzz. Besides, in a band situation, with guitars and bass and vocals and whatnot, you won't even hear that snare buzz.....or, you'll get used to it to the point where you won't even notice it.
    Then again, If you play a solo the sizling is really anoying...

User Info Menu

lol.....if it buzzes enough, it might sound like ghost notes, lol
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

mine buzzes too. but i found that if you turn your snare so that the wires are vertical instead of horizontal. (if that makes sence) then i have less buzz sound. plus the hole tuning thing that keith (kromberg) put in. and i also found that a thinish peice of foam put inbetween the head and wires on the snare close to the edge also helps. put the foam in then tune the snare till you get the sound you want. i found that works good. for me at least.
    I'm Cassandra
    I love my boyfriend Derek
    and I love my two firebellytoads, named Heartburn and Mountain.

Jeremiah 29:11
    For i know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper not harm you, plans to bring you hope and a future.

http://www.myspace.com/loveonegod

User Info Menu

Kromberg nailed this one, I also had this problem, and basically what is happening, and I am assuming it is your first or smallest tom doing this, basically the tom is tunes to a relative pitch as the snare drum, try and lower or raise the pitch of the TOM not the snare, and when you are tuning the drum, turn your drum key only a 1/8"-1/4" at a time, use the cross pattern, you will probably fine that it will not take much, and that horrible buzz sound will be gone, then you can tune your snare the way you want it to sound, if you have any other questions IM me at yahoo messanger my name is ddrumbum or you can just email me ddrumbum@charter.net.

User Info Menu

for some reason my snare doesn't buzz at all, no matter how i tune my toms.
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

Next Drum Purchase: Piccolo Snare
    Next Cymbal purchase: Splash cymbal and splash claw.

User Info Menu

that good cam1027.