Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best throne for the buck

User Info Menu

Default Best throne for the buck

I am tired of sitting in a chair and I want to upgrade to a comfortable throne without breaking the bank. I want something that will be comfortable for sitting on for several hours. Suggestions? I think $100 would be the most I would want to spend, but I really want a comfortable seat.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best throne for the buck

IMHO.....though it's a little more than a $100...though well worth the extra $45.....is the Roc N Soc Nitro Throne.....the most comfortable throne I have ever used....one of the first upgrades I made to my kit...and it has been well worth it....
    ...I am not seeing things as they are....I am seeing things as I am....

User Info Menu

I just paid 160 for the DW 9120M tractor style today. A nice comfortable throne IMHO. The Tamas were VERY comfortable and more affordable, But I couldn't bring myself to sit at my Pearls with a big Tama logo on the throne!

For some reason, the DW just seemed more discrete. They didn't have any Pearl thrones n stock.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

This is one area where you don't want to set a limit on what you'll spend for your comfort. I thought the same thing you're thinking for many years, and wouldn't pop for a high quality throne. I always figured that extra money would be better spent on a cymbal or something else....anything else, but a throne? No way!

If you're going to be spending a lot of time sitting at your kit, you want the most comfortable throne you can get, and one that won't cause you back problems down the road. I used cheapo whatever-brand round thrones for years, and they just aren't comfortable. In fact, I hated the darn things when I was in my teens!! But hey, everyone just has a plain round top throne right? That should be all I need right? Wrong.

Rock N Soc nitro. Forget $100, they're around $150, but if you can get to a drum store and sit on one and compare it to other thrones, you'll see that it's well worth the extra money. You can also get a backrest for it, but you can add that later.

Check them out. Seriously. You'll be doing yourself a big favor.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Gibraltar make some good ones

i would only suggest a back rest if you have back issues ......cause it will only make your sitting habits more lazy other wise

User Info Menu

dont cheap out on a seat, You want to play relaxed and a good seat will do that for ya. I have access to a practise kit with one band its all set up and ready to play, the only thing I change out is the seat[dixon no foam special] and my kick pedals. I just cant play sitting on that thing.

Official cowbell hater.

Larrysperf Guest

Gilbraltor. Nuff Said

User Info Menu

Most throne manufacturers make good thrones and I'm sure we all have our own opinion based on what we have.

My preference also is Roc'n'Soc. Great comfortable throne well built and competetively priced. The main reason other than total comfort is the suede material that seat is made of. Not vinyl or plastic. That's key to comfort and longevity.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I've seen the Roc-N-Soc Nitro on craigslist for as low as $100. If you're not in a huge rush, check there, and of course its evil cousin e-bay and see if you can find one. If not, I agree, bite the bullet!
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

I picked up a Ludwig Tractor seat throne with the velour top, double bracing, and screw height adjustment for about $70. It does have "Ludwig" embossed on the rear of the seat, but my Gretsch kit hasn't had any unkind words for the throne, and my tushy loves it, so it's a keeper!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Another vote for the Roc-n-Soc nitro. I've been on one for 7 years and refuse to use anything else.

User Info Menu

Gibraltar hydrualic, Roc n soc, Pork Pie.

I have the tractor style hydrualic, its about 130 but i absolutley love it.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Tama Ergo-Rider is awesome! $120 or so.

User Info Menu

i have a DW throne, paid $80 used for it, and it's very comfortable.

User Info Menu

The only issue with hydraulics is, they wear out. I like the screw dealio.

As was explained to me when buying my hardware, spend extra, and then you only have to buy it once.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Looks like there are a lot of votes for the roc n soc. So I will probably do that, PB what is your throne actually called if I were to look for it?

insane-asylum Guest

Try the tama ht730 ergo-rider drum throne. Its sory of a mix between a motorcycle throne and regular. Its great for ppl who sit sort of half way off like me cuz then the part infron isnt causing discomfort. plus its only 129

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...one?sku=440485

copy and paste that into the adress bar

User Info Menu

Ryder... you definatly will not regret getting the Roc N' Soc Nitro!!! I 100% totaly aggrey with Norske. I never thought I could spend the cash on a throne. I used an old computer chair with out the wheels on it for almost 13 years.... I regret that now. I recently picked up the Roc N' Soc nitro with a back rest.... O MY..... This thing is amazing. pleaze do your self a favor sooner than latter. If I had known about this then, I wouldn't care if it was $300 I would have paid!!! It helped my back and my legs so much. I mean, just my $0.02
    Fat Pat, show us your drums page 138, post 3429
    always chang'n sumth'n

User Info Menu

tre cool from green day used to use a wheelchair. id recommend not spending 100 on a throne though, thats just over the top. pacific makes a good one for 20

User Info Menu

I replaced my inexpensive Tama with the ROC-N-SOC Nitro back in January. I love it. A nice big comfortable seat and the rest of the hardware is solid. With the cloth seat, if your butt sweats, the moisture is wicked away.

User Info Menu

I have a Dixon tractor seat style, I love it. The vinyl is starting to crack a bit, but its over 10 years old. I just throw a towel over it and no worries.

User Info Menu

hands down gibraltar super soft round throne. its is the most comfortable throne i have ever sat on. its 14 inches wide 4 inches thick and its bettwr thwn rock n sock or porkpie and its got a spining screw mechanism and is insanely comfortable. best part: 96 american bucks plus i believe free shippin from percussion source.com. i love gibraltar thrones , cymbal clamps, and and percussion mounts. plus waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than DW,rock n sock or porkpie
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

PORK PIE!!!

Worth every penny IMHO! I have one for each kit and they are the most comfortable I have ever used.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Roc-N-Soc, any that are cut like a bike seat. I have a round plush Pork Pie now, and am looking to trade it or sell to defray the cost of a Roc N Soc.

User Info Menu

I bought a Roc-N-Soc Nitro yesterday. Here is my initial impression: I thought all the Nitro owners were exaggerating just a little about the comfort of this seat. Maaaaaaaaan, was I wrong! This throne is awesome. The built in air shock provides a little bounce, much like a trucker's air ride seat. The seat itself is built so that the part where the very behind of your behind sits provides a little back support. And I noticed when playing that the seat was not adding to fatigue on my hamstrings like my old round top throne did.
    Let me say this clearly. I will never go back. If you don't have a Nitro, shut down your Internet and go get one now. Seriously, this thing rocks. It's so comfortable that my wife said the next time I see one on craigslist, she wants one for our computer desk.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie