Thread: Best heads for vintage?

User Info Menu

Default Best heads for vintage?

Hi all. As ive said to another drum chatter i took on people advice and me and my dad are gonna try and restore the old premier kit. I just wondered what heads would be best for it? Ive heard remo are better for older drums but wondered on different opinions as im sure many on here have alot more knowledge than me. Also, i have a 16" remo pinstripe but it wont fit on the 16" premier floor tom. Is it a pre international head im looking for as the kit was made in England and i think the sizes changed since then.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best heads for vintage?

Coated Ambos

User Info Menu

I agree, coated Ambassadors are great for vintage, also fiberskyns sound great.

Also, i have a 16" remo pinstripe but it wont fit on the 16" premier floor tom. Is it a pre international head im looking for as the kit was made in England and i think the sizes changed since then.
    I've run into this problem a few times with vintage gear. Is the drum wrapped? A lot of the older wrapped drums can be tough to get a good fitting head because the wrap adds a little extra bit of thickness to the shell. You may check out the Aquarian American Vintage, it has a slightly larger diameter, designed specifically for your problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    I agree, coated Ambassadors are great for vintage, also fiberskyns sound great.

I've run into this problem a few times with vintage gear. Is the drum wrapped? A lot of the older wrapped drums can be tough to get a good fitting head because the wrap adds a little extra bit of thickness to the shell. You may check out the Aquarian American Vintage, it has a slightly larger diameter, designed specifically for your problem.
    Premier used to measure their drums in centimeters I'm pretty sure. Good luck finding a head to fit that drum.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

Remo heads are about the best fitting there is for the "Vintage" kits. That's because of the collar...made to fit the rounded reinforcement rings. I wish I had better information regarding the Premier drums. I have heard the U.S. heads do not fit just right and suspect there is a problem with SAE vs. Metric measurement. However, I would think that you can order Premier heads directly from Premier.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Check out the new Remo Vintage series. They are made for this purpose. Also, fiberskyns give a great retro sound.

User Info Menu

Heads that are overlooked quite a bit are the Remo Renesaince(sp?). They come in both an Ambasador and a Diplomat. The sound and texture are very vintage-like in a jazz sense. I've used them and get compliments on how they sound all the time.
    1971 Ludwig 3-ply Maple 7-piece shell set in Oyster Black Pearl w Supraphonic Snare
    1968 Mica-Sonic Deluxe 9-ply Luan Mahogony 4 piece jazz set in Aqua Satin Flame
    2004 Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz 7-ply Phillipene Mahogony 4 piece in Nitron Marine Pearl
    Lot's of old Zildjian A's, some K's, a few Sabiens, and a few Paiste