Thread: got the db blues..

User Info Menu

Default got the db blues..

i realize this must be the 100th thread or post about double bass matters in like a week but here goes.

im fine at faster speeds, im fine at medium speeds, but it almost feels like my pedals are sticking when i go as slow as i would if i was using a single pedal only. im using pearl p-122's, so it might be my pedals are rusting or something, but it seems like i have to push down really hard to get a solid rhytm going. when i do push down hard when im rolling on the basses, it works and sounds smooth, but if i let up on the force of my feet even a little, many flams and mis-strokes happen. should i replace my pedals altogether, or just clean em out and mess with the settings?

User Info Menu

Default Re: got the db blues..

Clean and lube.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MortalDrumbat View Post
    i realize this must be the 100th thread or post about double bass matters in like a week but here goes.

im fine at faster speeds, im fine at medium speeds, but it almost feels like my pedals are sticking when i go as slow as i would if i was using a single pedal only. im using pearl p-122's, so it might be my pedals are rusting or something, but it seems like i have to push down really hard to get a solid rhytm going. when i do push down hard when im rolling on the basses, it works and sounds smooth, but if i let up on the force of my feet even a little, many flams and mis-strokes happen. should i replace my pedals altogether, or just clean em out and mess with the settings?
    when i read the title of the thread, i had thought about something else for db blues

User Info Menu

I'd say your springs are too tight for general use. You are getting great rebound at fast tempos due to the bounce. At slower tempos the spring tension is showing itself more.

Just a hunch with nothing to back it up.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I'd say your springs are too tight for general use. You are getting great rebound at fast tempos due to the bounce. At slower tempos the spring tension is showing itself more.

Just a hunch with nothing to back it up.
    HOLA como estas Mi amigo BISH 008 SECRET SPY DRUMMER
    ANCIENT WISE OWL BIRD CAT *creative artistic open minded drummer
    artist within GREAT WISDOM AWARE-NESS KNOWLEDGE * USE your HIGH TECH SPY(MICRO- GREAR)with-out POP CORN JUST I HUNCH SURE its within THE CRUNCH 008 * GRACIAS but DO NOT EAT POP CORN when PERFORMING **
    amigo GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Don't eat popcorn when playing? Got it.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

A good cleaning can't hurt. What Bish said could definitely be the case, especially with cheaper pedals. Keep in mind that playing slow is much harder than playing fast. It might be something worth practicing.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON View Post
    artist within GREAT WISDOM AWARE-NESS KNOWLEDGE * USE your HIGH TECH SPY(MICRO- GREAR)with-out POP CORN JUST I HUNCH SURE its within THE CRUNCH 008 * GRACIAS but DO NOT EAT POP CORN when PERFORMING **
    amigo GRACIAS
    Is it just me, or can nobody understand what he is saying?

In all seriousness, clean the pedals lube them with some WD-40.
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I like to stick a drumstick up my nose while playing 64ths on double bass at 208.
    Epic Win.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON View Post
    amigo GRACIAS
    dude, what? are you talking about popcorn snares or something? can anyone translate

User Info Menu

Oh, don't use WD-40... it breaks down and turns into water, which causes corrosion in the long run. Yes, I know it's supposed to do the opposite of that... it does for a little and then it fails miserably. It's supposed to be great at attracting fish though, so spray up your lures and hit the pond.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

im bad at fishing

User Info Menu

So am I... scratch that, so was I.

User Info Menu

Dry teflon based bicycle chain lubricant is the best! Tri-Flow -Les

User Info Menu

"What?" -MD

User Info Menu

How long you had your pedals?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MortalDrumbat View Post