Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double bass

User Info Menu

Default Double bass

Buddy Rich was once asked what he "thought of double bass drums"?
    He replied..."it takes a lifetime to learn to play one well, when will you have time to learn to play the other "?

User Info Menu

True that but, i still love the two. it makes fills more exciting
    -Chance S.
    -I Live My Life By Psalms 150:5

User Info Menu

well this one time when i was playing a local show, i was using a double bass pedal. this is before i finally got 2 seperate Bass drums. (woot! )
    and 2/10 songs into it, the right beater snaps...the head honcho, the primary beat setter snaps off... ...luckily i had a double bass pedal so i learned to play with it pretty quick!! haha!!

f.y.i, i pissed all over it after the show...my logic:
    it pissed me off, so i am going to piss on it!!

TAKE THAT CRAPPY DOUBLE BASS PEDALS!!
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

I've had that happen to me too. You simply undo the left and make it the main. What a relief!

Entertaining ....Entertaining LOL

User Info Menu

Well thats why i practice everyday playing half the time with the right lead. and the second half with the left lead.

Now thats just funny
    -Chance S.

User Info Menu

I love the double pedal!!!!!.... I was wondering, does anyone else practice getting tighter with the double pedal by pretending to play whenever your sitting down?

User Info Menu

yea i do that quite a bit.
    u see im still in school, what else are you supposed to do when u have a pen, pencil, thick book on the floor, a soda can, and a crazy beat in your head?

and in reponse to swawpin the beaters...dont mock...i didnt have my drum key on me....yes thats right....duing a show...
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia
    I love the double pedal!!!!!.... I was wondering, does anyone else practice getting tighter with the double pedal by pretending to play whenever your sitting down?
    ALL THE TIME.... My wife is constantly grabbing my leg to stop me where ever we are: Dinner, Church, Kids' Parent teacher conference.... etc....

User Info Menu

what about just your hands? like i sometimes find myself drumming with my hand and assigning some fingers to be instruments
    thumb=bass
    index finger=snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Baw_Drummer
    what about just your hands? like i sometimes find myself drumming with my hand and assigning some fingers to be instruments
    thumb=bass
    index finger=snare
    I've been doing that for years with my teeth. I remember going to my dentist one year and he said, "Do you ever grit your teeth?". I said, "No but I play drums with them". LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia
    also what you might try is get those Promark Stick Weights, and put them on your peddals. its hard to get used to but they make you not only faster but stronger. And i saw in DRUM magazine, there are these little plastick "practice" pedals, you could get two of those and drum away.
    -Chance S.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    I've been doing that for years with my teeth. I remember going to my dentist one year and he said, "Do you ever grit your teeth?". I said, "No but I play drums with them". LOL
    hahaha does anyone like get a beat in their head while eating and "chew" to the beat? haha i do that a lot!! and what about just with your mouth. making all the sound effects and stuff with your throat and lips.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Falamicus
    ALL THE TIME.... My wife is constantly grabbing my leg to stop me where ever we are: Dinner, Church, Kids' Parent teacher conference.... etc....
    you need to get a new wife falam
    max

User Info Menu

My wife teases me about not being able to sit still. There is always a beat going through my head that I will play with my hands or feet or both. Most of the time I don't even realize that I am doing it.

User Info Menu

haha me neither, or like i will stand in a line or sumthing and start rocking my right leg to a beat, and then start slapping my thighs
    Last edited by Baw_Drummer; 04-19-2006 at 10:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Default anyone play on the steering wheel like me?

i'm surprised i haven't had an accident from all the beats i've created over the years in the car.
    max

User Info Menu

Oh definatly!!! Im always beating on things with every limb and every sound I can possibly make with my mouth...I also chew in rythm, walk in rythm, whatever....if i got a beat in my head every part of me is doin somethin to the beat

User Info Menu

right on!!!
    glad im not alone!!
    man i love this web site!!

User Info Menu

I often lose 20 minutes doing mach beats with my fingers and hands on my thighs. I try not to do it in public though....people tend to think im a nut when I do so.

Which reminds me, recently at a show watching a friends band(friend is a drummer too) I kept the beat he was playing and ended up with bloody knuckles. I was punching the stage in time. ROFL. Meh I guess I am kind of a nut.
    Last edited by Drumvistator; 04-22-2006 at 04:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumvistator
    I often lose 20 minutes doing mach beats with my fingers and hands on my thighs. I try not to do it in public though....people tend to think im a nut when I do so.

Which reminds me, recently at a show watching a friends band(friend is a drummer too) I kept the beat he was playing and ended up with bloody knuckles. I was punching the stage in time. ROFL. Meh I guess I am kind of a nut.

That's awesome!!! I usually end up with very soar ankles and shins after a concert from keeping the beat with my feet while standing up....that really works the shins..ouch

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frank4drums
    My wife teases me about not being able to sit still. There is always a beat going through my head that I will play with my hands or feet or both. Most of the time I don't even realize that I am doing it.
    My mom used to slap me "all" the time for beatin on everything. Yet, she would let me practice in the house. Go figure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    My mom used to slap me "all" the time for beatin on everything. Yet, she would let me practice in the house. Go figure.
    LOL, they don't understand that you always have some beat going through your head. My brother is a drummer as well, and I was with him yesterday and we were sitting somewhere waiting for an appointment, so I started doing some footwork, like double pedals, and he told me to calm down.

Hey, I was just practicing.
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Drummer, thats great! I do the same thing all the time. I thought I was the only one carrying on a beat with my teeth.

User Info Menu

I want a double bass pedal, but they seem so expensive, am i just poor or are they overpriced?

User Info Menu

they are overpriced... or i'm poor too... i'm saving up for one now, i couldnt make up my mind of buying another crash or a double bass drum pedal but i think i made a good choice by saving up for one... i went to my local music store and they said a good one would be for $250
    |M|o|u|n|t|a|i|n| |D|e|w| My Anti-Drug