Thread: Sitting in with another band

User Info Menu

Default Sitting in with another band

Anyone ever "sit in" with a performing band for a song or two? That can be alot of fun (and impresses your date!), but a little un-nerving too! There was a guy in the 70's that went to a WHO concert, and had to play the whole show 'cause Keith Moon passed out on horse tranquilizers. He was just a guy in the audience that got lucky!

User Info Menu

Cool sitting in with othere bands

yes it can be alot of fun and a good way to make new friends you neverknow
    when someone might need a drummer for a show . it helps to have your name out there. I just did a show a couple a months ago for a band who's drummer
    couldn't be there it wasn't long after that I got a call they wanted me to play
    with them full time. I thanked them for the offer but had to turn it down I am
    already playing but it made me feel good anyway. by the way the othere drummer was moving and had to quit I didn't want anyone to think I was trying to take his job.

User Info Menu

I've never sat in playing a kit with a performing band, but I have performed playing my hand drums with a few bands during their gigs. I also sat in playing guitar with a few bands. My first experience was playing guitar on 2 songs in front of about 7000 people! I almost froze cuz' that many people really freaked me out. The bass player came across the stage and told me to close my eyes and pretend I was in the studio. It worked pretty well, then I realized that the only people that would even know if I screwed up were the band and maybe a few diehard fans. That really mellowed me out and I had a blast. I ended up playing with them a few more times over my music career cuz' they knew I could handle the pressure after that.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Default Sitting in with another band

Since hand drumming is what I do best, I have sat in with several bands...the first time I ever sat in on percussion, I was as nervous as 1DrumBum, but the song the band was playing before my first sit-in was "The Duck Dance." I figured what the heck, if I'm gonna screw up, I might as well have fun with it...so when the band's girl singer got out to lead the dance, I got out there and shook my...uhh...tail feathers...and that broke the ice...

Another time, I was sitting in with a guitar duo whose normal gigs involve inviting people from the audience to join in with maracas, drums, etc...it worked too well to my embarrassment, since I discovered later I had actually discouraged the amateurs from joining them!

However, another band was playing nearby--a Jimmy Buffett cover band--and I started talking with their conga player. His reaction: "What're ya doing next April?" Were it not for my day job, I could have joined them a few months after that gig...and who knows, it could still happen!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

i've sat in with local bands on set and congas and a little after show jamming on guitar...nothing major though...in my town...nothing is very major....most gigs in this town get around 50-100 people...lame..i feel what little talent i have is going to waste...:(

User Info Menu

Myself, being a former bouncer...this one club i was bouncing at, years ago, had this regular band....finally, after the 4th or 5th time they played there, i asked the guys if i could sit in and play a few tunes with them...they agreed, and if i remember correctly, i did Metallica's "Enter Sandman", Black Crowes "Hard To Handle" and Pearl Jam's "Alive" with them...I got to be friends with the lead singer/rhythm guitar player...brought my drums over to his house, and we would jam from time to time (I wasnt in a regular gigging band at the time) well, after 5 years of friendship and musicianship, and after a couple bands I was in, we both were free....started a band together, and played together for almost 8 years, doing a cover band for a couple years, then a Metallica tribute band for 5 years... we no longer play together, and he has since moved out of state, but he remains one of my dearest friends ever. Something to be said for "sitting in"....
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.