Thread: snare side nightmares

User Info Menu

Default snare side nightmares

i have a confession.

im afraid to change my snare's resonant head and usually let the sound suffer and never change the side head because im afraid of never being able to get the snare wires back to their original position.

its happened so many times before, on my custom snare jobs, i get done making a killer snare, but when i mess with the snare wires to get the head off and then change it to another head, i can never get it to sound like a snare drum should ever again. its like a phobia or something, ill actually pay shop guys to sub out the head, or else ill buy a new snare at retail with the right heads on top and bottom, because i keep thinking ill mess it up again like i have before.

tips?
    Last edited by MortalDrumbat; 02-09-2009 at 04:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: snare side nightmares

That has to get pricey!! Here are some great tuning tips for snares...might get you close to solving your problem.

This guy is great!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxm3QunDjUs
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

sounds like you just need more experience with getting it set right. Take it off and put it on a bunch of times until you get it right.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

MDB, if you haven't read through the Drum Tuning Bible, here is the section on installing snares: http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/id7.html

If sounds like you are just lacking a little confidence here because you had some bad experience. You might want to find someone who has conquered this area, and have them go through it with you. Having some positive experiences will increase your confidence.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

MD...tuning a drum and changing the heads, even on the snare side, is what we
    have to do. One thing I can tell you is that when you can change your snare and bring it back to "Tune," then you are musician....meaning you know the characteristics of your instrument and how to work with it.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg