Thread: Just bought some bongos want some advice.

User Info Menu

Default Just bought some bongos want some advice.

My goal with the bongos is to become quite masterfull, in both rythem and solo play.

I believe very much that music can act as medicine (shamanic) and I have therefore ordered Sacred Drumming by Ash, Steven.

Im currently just getting started with Mel Bays Bongo book and Im going to be putting in about 30mins each day with extended periods of practise on the weekend, I will be seeking professional training in the future, London (£20 ph one on one).

I want to stay true to why I am learning the bongo and invest my time wisely in learning powerfull chops and important healing rythems.

If any one has any thing to say or can offer up some links or books Ill be happy to read them.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Just bought some bongos want some advice.

This book is not bongo specific, but is one one the best for any hand drums around. I basically learned how to play several traditional instruments using this alone:

User Info Menu

Default Re: Just bought some bongos want some advice.

I have this book as well! It's a pretty awesome book for learning latin percussion. The bongo section is actually pretty slim though, only 2 or 3 pages covering them. But there is a lot of great information about understanding and playing in clave and how all of the parts fit together ie: congas, bongos, timbales, etc. This book is a great starting place for anyone interested in latin styles.