Thread: Playing fast on Concert Crash Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Playing fast on Concert Crash Cymbals

I'm having a hard time with be able to play fast with concert crash cymbals. I'm going to seek help from my band director. But I thought I would also ask here since he isnt a percussionist he may not have the BEST solution. My drum instructor doesn't have access to concert crash cymbals so that wont work too well. Anyways I have a song where I play the &'s of the beats at about 150-160 BPM. Right now its impossible for me. Any techniques you suggest? I looked up some videos on Vic firth for this however the technique demostrated was for more concert use and still would not allow me to play fast enough. Even though I'm using concert crash cymbals, this is a more of a rock song. Don't worry this isn't for concert band, its for some other stuff Any ideas how I can move the arms / cymbals faster? I was thinking about maybe a High Hat effect?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Playing fast on Concert Crash Cymbals

I would probably leave one side closed and open it like a hinge and close again, like a hi-hat effect (think pac man). Hold them out flat, not straight up and down, let gravity do the work.