Thread: mapex meridian maple/birch

User Info Menu

Default mapex meridian maple/birch

ok got a chance recently to hear these two lovelies being played and heres my review..

meridian maple- not too expensive, snare sounds real crisp and not overly sustained or open, id say more in the dry area. toms are full and sound bigger than they are, but they dont have a ton of sustain. the bass drum sounds big and rounded with just the right power overall to balance out the fast sort of sounds. its overall a loud but well balanced set emphasizing clear high end sounds that resemble CCR songs closely. its definitely going to be a hot item to save some money for. id recommend them indefinitely for anything remotely heavy

meridian birch- less expensive in most cases than the maple, id say this site almost mirrors the maple in many instances. the snare sounds also crisp, but has a trace of wash and you can hear the wires a bit more, even when it is tuned high. the toms all sound deep, but are almost naturally reverberated, and have very good sustain, but arent drowning in wild overtones. the bass drum is a little more thunderous and often louder than the maple, but it seems to emphasize midrange and attack rather than high end fullness and projection. all in all this set is great if you like it loud and naturally eq'd, but take note both meridians have almost identical sound qualities. its really a win win if you choose either one

User Info Menu

Default Re: mapex meridian maple/birch

Quote Originally Posted by MortalDrumbat View Post
    ok got a chance recently to hear these two lovelies being played and heres my review..

meridian maple- not too expensive, snare sounds real crisp and not overly sustained or open, id say more in the dry area. toms are full and sound bigger than they are, but they dont have a ton of sustain. the bass drum sounds big and rounded with just the right power overall to balance out the fast sort of sounds. its overall a loud but well balanced set emphasizing clear high end sounds that resemble CCR songs closely. its definitely going to be a hot item to save some money for. id recommend them indefinitely for anything remotely heavy

meridian birch- less expensive in most cases than the maple, id say this site almost mirrors the maple in many instances. the snare sounds also crisp, but has a trace of wash and you can hear the wires a bit more, even when it is tuned high. the toms all sound deep, but are almost naturally reverberated, and have very good sustain, but arent drowning in wild overtones. the bass drum is a little more thunderous and often louder than the maple, but it seems to emphasize midrange and attack rather than high end fullness and projection. all in all this set is great if you like it loud and naturally eq'd, but take note both meridians have almost identical sound qualities. its really a win win if you choose either one
    HOLA como estas Mi amigo MORTALDRUMBAT Creative artistic open minded DRUMMER ARTIST(YOUNG -CAT) within great aware-ness wisdom knowledge * you know MDB LETS just think as your aware of !!! Now the tambores
    that you heard OR ? DID you ACTUALLY PERFORM (PLAY ) both TRAPS(SETS)
    AS you know once you have very serious time to spend within ,You Know TUNING these TAMBORES as within YOUR OWN UNIQUE DISTINCT ARTISTRY then you can EXPAND GAIN of course MORE DEFINED KNOWLEDGE within the ACTUAL TONES and REALLY the infinite LAYERS
    *AND TEXTURES within the INFINITE DIMENSIONS of COLORS that when you Create your OWN UNIQUE DISTINCT ARTISTRY will then REALLY come alive *
    AS I always STATE WHAT -EVER works for the Creative artistic open minded ARTIST is all GREAT within all their ARTISTIC JOURNEYS **GRACIAS
    FOR THE INFO (KNOWLEDGE) amigo

User Info Menu

all i know is the entire mapex line sounded really good, and these could set the standard for how maple drums should be done.

User Info Menu

The Meridian series of drums got kind of a so-so review in March 09 Modern drummer.
    -Les

User Info Menu

Fatality
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

"Youve been with the professors
    And theyve all liked your looks
    With great lawyers you have
    Discussed lepers and crooks
    Youve been through all of
    F. scott fitzgeralds books
    Youre very well read
    Its well known
    Because something is happening here
    But you don't know what it is
    Do you, mister jones? "

ht to bob dylan
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

MD.. You should really have some experience actually playing a particular set of drums before you can make a credible analysis of it. -Les

User Info Menu

i just learned the meridian has something to do with the ocean. that mapex has such a sense of humor!

User Info Menu

Yeah.. that is a knee slapper! (joke) -Les

User Info Menu

Meridians are essentially lines of longitude.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Dude I really am not trying to start an argument but you can't keep starting threads based on five minutes of playing at the music store. I'm sorry but how are you supposed to fully understand the drums in a few minutes of playing
    Last edited by therocker; 03-11-2009 at 03:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Please...not another one of these threads. lol
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

i based it upon a combination of the sound clips at mapex's website- and actual hands on experience. but i guess, through learning the expectations of people who read these reviews, that that short time that you spend on GC's untuned demo sets on the sales floor are not enough to call a definite and credible review on.

User Info Menu

The mag reviews get one to bang on for a while when they review. That is what is expected when one writes a "review'.

Otherwise just call it a first impression, then no confusion.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

i based it upon a combination of the sound clips at mapex's website- and actual hands on experience. but i guess, through learning the expectations of people who read these reviews, that that short time that you spend on GC's untuned demo sets on the sales floor are not enough to call a definite and credible review on.
    Oh I suppose your review is sort of credible. Guitar Centre's demo tuning is horrible! If they sounded good in the time you saw them untuned and in bad condition at Guitar Centre, imagine how they'd sound fully tuned up and looked after!
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

I think it sounds like a good review, with that sort of detail he must of had a good listen to it. Hes got alotta enthusiam for the reviews, why crush it? Nobody would go straight out and buy the kit on this review alone, its only his interpretation. Im surprised the birch lacked the "high end fullness and projection" of the maple - i thought if would be the other way around. Also what do you mean when you say you cvould hear the wires a bit more?

User Info Menu

i was surprised, they actually had real close sound character.. coincidentally, im taking a trip to guitar center in a few days, so maybe ill review another set for you guys! ive found that writing a review is hard, you not only need a vast knowledge of drums, the terminology, and experience, but you also need to be very booksmart and excel in language arts to write something informative and valid. i should have said my first impression, but usually i can tell if something is good in a minute or two of playing it.