Thread: One more try

User Info Menu

Default One more try

privacy
    Last edited by Jordypants; 03-15-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: privacy

User Info Menu

Default Re: One more try

Welcome Jordy!! You seem to play well. Interesting drum setup. Do you have other pics of it?

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Jordy! Your drumming is solid, but I would suggest a slightly different technique on your cymbal work. You'll save you cymbals, and your sticks by striking across the cymbal, rather than striking it straight on the edge. When you strike straight into the cymbal, you focus all the energy at a single point, and you will crack many cymbals throughout your drumming life. You can still get a good, loud sound by striking with a more sweeping motion, and you will prolong the life of your cymbals.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hey Jordy....you like to go "All-out" well enough. Careful of the cymbals, though. Actually, there is a simple thing you can do that will protect these since you like to really lay into them. Tilt them downward a notch or two below level. You won't be cracking any more. I was wondering about your rack tom...seems awful low. However, as I watched I understood why...you are long in the torso and arms and have adapted your kit to that. Well Done!
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Ditto on the above comments. Great video. Welcome to drumchat.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks for all the comments. I can definitely see where you're coming from on the cymbals. I have no mercy. I seriously go through a couple of pairs of sticks each show but I love to lay into my kit. It's the best cardio EVAR!!! I'm definitely longer in the arms and torso and I like having the toms set flat and low. My sweeps seem easier that way. The point in the snare being tilted forward toward the floating time is to encourage more rimshots and for some reason it just feels more natural to me that way. Here's a picture:

All these are from the same show. I'm not on my home computer or I would have a ton of pictures of my setup.

User Info Menu

I'm with Frank and PB. I'm a heavy hitter like you, Jordy, and I've never cracked a cymbal in 20+ years. And from the looks of them, you play heavier cymbals as well. I run thin crashes and never had an issue. Just tilt hem about 10 or 15 degrees down, and make sure that they aren't tightened all the way down. The titl will save the cymbal, and loosening them a little will unchoke the sound so they should be just as loud.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Wow! heavy hitter for sure. Wish the recording was better, kinda sounds like your just kicking the crud out of the kit.

User Info Menu

Talking Re: One more try

nice -
    I hope the forces of evil become confussed on their way to your house - (George Carlin) r.i.p.

join me @
    http://www.myspace.com/aldostl

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat Jordy! Your drumming is solid, but I would suggest a slightly different technique on your cymbal work. You'll save you cymbals, and your sticks by striking across the cymbal, rather than striking it straight on the edge. When you strike straight into the cymbal, you focus all the energy at a single point, and you will crack many cymbals throughout your drumming life. You can still get a good, loud sound by striking with a more sweeping motion, and you will prolong the life of your cymbals.
    Ditto Nuff Said