Thread: So, my hands are bleeding...

User Info Menu

Default So, my hands are bleeding...

I had a huge blister after practice last week, and it burst. Plastered it up and thought I was fine. But now the new skin underneath has been cut, and makes it really painful when I'm playing, especially with singles. Is there anything I can do to numb the pain/prevent it from getting much worse? Any help appreciated. Ta.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Default Re: So, my hands are bleeding...

I think I might try liquid band aid in a case like that. Then wrap some athletic tape over that.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

I would let it heal naturally for a couple days. In the future use a towel to dry your hands.

User Info Menu

If you reblister it should eventually callous over.

I have them.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I agree with BLD. Letting it heal for a few days will do wonders. Pushing it just might cause you to change your technique to accomodate the wound, and then you will be grooving improper technique.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'm calloused now, but back we played every day for hours and very fast I used to get them all the time. Particularly on the pads of my thumbs.

I would say to try to figure out why you are blistering. I realized, over time, that I was letting the stick move a lot and by closing my grip a little more and using my wrist more I could avoid so much friction. It's the drop sticking thing I keep mentioning (which I guess is related to the mohler technique?). It helps me play fairly fast and not have any blister issues anymore.

I can try to find a video of someone doing it, or of me playing that way if you want.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    I had a huge blister after practice last week, and it burst. Plastered it up and thought I was fine. But now the new skin underneath has been cut, and makes it really painful when I'm playing, especially with singles. Is there anything I can do to numb the pain/prevent it from getting much worse? Any help appreciated. Ta.
    push through the pain barrier ya big ninny, let it bleed.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Agreed lol just let it heal.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Cool Re: So, my hands are bleeding...

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Pain is one thing. Bleeding is another. Most blisters are caused, as kaosotis said, by too much stick movement.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Pain is one thing. Bleeding is another. Most blisters are caused, as kaosotis said, by too much stick movement.
    ditto check how you hold your sticks, it sounds like that is the problem. Also have a towel to wipe hands when they sweat that helps also. Nuff Said

User Info Menu

If it pops while you're playing go ahead and cut off all the loose skin, then wrap that segment of your finger in electrical tape. It'll redistribute the pressure on that point and act as a skin so that your finger can start healing underneath. It also has less friction on the stick than other tapes and lets it move more like if you weren't wearing anything.

Loosening my grip is the only thing that cured my blister problems. Wearing gloves just caused the blisters to relocate and tape was a temporary patch.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    Wearing gloves just caused the blisters to relocate and tape was a temporary patch.
    Yeah, that's what caused these blisters. I had them rupture on the bottom of my fingers at practice the week before, so I wore some gloves this time. I ended up putting more pressure on my thumb, which I usually don't do as much, and I ended up getting a massive blister as they callused really fast. It was just cutting the skin underneath. It doesn't matter as much, because it doesn't affect how I hold my sticks, it was just hard to pull off singles and stuff because of the pain. It's ok now, thanks for the help.
    BTW, whoever said play through the pain, believe me when I say I did :D
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    I would let it heal naturally for a couple days. In the future use a towel to dry your hands.
    HOLA como estas Mi amigo BASSIST LEARNING DRUMS EL ANTIGUO ESPIRITUAL INDIAN aDENTRO el VIENTO' Creative artistic open minded bassist////DRUMMER(GATO) within gret aware-ness wisdom knowledge* EXCELLENTE' ADVICE **gracias