Thread: sorry so many threads (CD input to a Simmons 7k)

User Info Menu

Default sorry so many threads (CD input to a Simmons 7k)

Hi All... thanks for ALL your help thus far... I'm getting really close now on picking my set.

I tried a Simmons 7K and Roland TD3SW today at a Guitar Cent.

I liked the Simmons 7K, DID like the Roland better, but with ~$350 price diff (roland higher), i'm trying to decide on whether or not the features of the Roland (i'll list below) are really worth the extra cash...

- the Roland has a way ti IMPORT CD music so you can play along, it was NOT clear to me if the Simmons has a similar feature (would be nice to have it, but for $350, may not be worth it)

- i LIKED the mesh headed snare of Roland (the Simmons heads were ok, but they are that rubber stuff, like the rest of the heads on the Roland), so is THAT head worth the extra $350? - not sure...

- the Roland cymbles had two different surfaces (the fronts were rubber, the backs were metalish), and both gave a different sound (was pretty neat!)...

for ~$500 (+$60 for a pedal) the Simmons seems like the better deal
    the Roland would run ~850 (+$60 for pedal)...

at a diff of ~$350, i'm really torn...

if anyone with a Simmons 7K could comment, i would really apprecaite it...

thanks...

- prime

User Info Menu

Default Re: sorry so many threads (CD input to a Simmons 7k)

PM, is this kit going to be a temporary kit? In other words, is this a kit that you will use for practice until you can one day get an acoustic kit, or are you going to be an electronic guy? If you're going to definitely be an electronic guy, I would go for the Roland. If not, I have the Simmons SD7K, and I have enjoyed playing it. I bought it to get my daughter, and her family started, after they came here and enjoyed playing my drums. I don't think the Simmons kit will hold up quite as well as the Roland kit, but if cost is a factor, then how long you will expect to keep the kit will be an important factor.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

hey....
    i just got a lead (local shop) on a used simmons (with pedal and throne) for ~400... it is going to be TOUGH to pass it up... i had not invisioned getting anything for at least the next few months, but i may move on this one...

as for your question (re: electric guy), well, i will prob be "that"... i just do not see being able to have an acoustic and playing it "freely" (i.e., when ever i want - within reason) - would be too disruptive to the house (kids and wife)...

i DO see this purchase as a step forward, but NOT the end game... i bought the dd-55 to see if i would consistently get in some practicing and whether or not i really "got into it" (i did)... I see this next purchase to help me move beyond the silly little dd-55 with the idea of also starting to take some lessons (did not think it was worth taking lessons and only having the dd-55 to practice on)....

as for $, it is NOT that it is NOT an issue, i prob could convince myself to get the roland td3sw, but since i'm just starting out, i'm thinking it might be better to take this in baby steps, few people get a Porsche as their first car - particularly if you only need it to drive back and forth to your job at the local Burger King after school! (i.e., i'm still a newbie)...

anyway, thanks.... i wonder, could i bounce you a PM, i have a couple more ? about the 7K...

- prime

User Info Menu

PM, you're more than welcome to PM me any question, but I would ask that if it might be a question that others could benefit from that you go ahead and post it. Besides, we have other e-kit players here, and it would give them a chance to help you as well.

I checked out the reviews on the SD7K for quite a while too PM, and then it went on an incredible discount before Christmas (like you, I got it for $399, when it's a $500 kit), so I decided to get it. It's been a nice set to play, and I will be happy to pass it along to my daughter and her family.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

4-500$ seems like a doable price..Does the simmons have a metronome and digital songs you can play along with? I could really use something like this to practice on.. any more thought? anyone? -Les

User Info Menu

It has both Les. The metronome is either tone or voice, and there are songs available, and you can mute the drum part.

User Info Menu

Thanks PB..one more question..are the heads replaceable on the simmons? I would like to install mesh heads for silent (er) playing -Les

User Info Menu

That I don't really know Les. I don't know how proprietary the equipment is. I don't know if the controller handles other heads. I know that Simmons doesn't make their own mesh heads.

User Info Menu

hi.... thanks, i thought i sent a PM yest., but could not find it in my sent box (who knows!), anyway, i was only going to send it because i did not want to "take over" the forum (likem, what, 3-4 posts in 3-4 days!)... but thanks for your willingness to help...

the only other question i had (i think) were:

- do the cymbals have a 2 "tone" arrangement (rubber up front, metal in the back - this is what the roland has and each give a different sound)

-?? there was another, bjut i have forgotten about what it was!

thanks...

- prime

User Info Menu

I am also looking at an Alesis DM5 pro..same price at music123 as the simmons and has some more features.. -Les