Thread: Is water bad for your cymbals?????

User Info Menu

Default Is water bad for your cymbals?????

I have to carry a crash I just got through pouring rain after work, would i be better to leave it in my office and take home later??

User Info Menu

Default Re: Is water bad for your cymbals?????

Water won't do anything! It will be fine.

If you leave it outside for a week or two then you might have problems... but I'm not sure

User Info Menu

Nah, just wipe it off with a clean cloth.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

No water won't do anything unless you let it rust over or soak in it for a while, I wonder what that would do to the sound.....
    But except for water spots if you don't wipe it off water won't do anything to your cymbals.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting this!!!! I totally forgot to bring my galvanized steel inside. Not that it would rust, but it is raining now, and I don't want it out in the weather!!!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Is water bad for your cymbals?????

Most cymbals are brass, and the worst that could happen would be water spots, which cleaning and polishing would take care of pronto...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

A lot of times after a good cleaning I wash mine off with warm water and soap with a thorough rinsing. Just dry them very good.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

Larrysperf Guest

only if its salt water fresh water is a ok Nuff Said

User Info Menu

We used to wash electronics with soap and water. We had an air compressor to blow out the excess and an oven at 125 to set in overnight.

It's not the water so much as making sure stuff is dry for storage.....it's the sitting water that causes the probs.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Definitely not. I have played a gig where I put some water on my cymbals for the first hit of the song. It was two crashes and the water went everywhere! Huge crowd pleaser to say the least. I was playing with a post-hardcore band and crashing my ride that had water on it. It kept me cool and had a great effect. I just wiped down everything when I was done. Can't even tell I did it.
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

if the cymbal was wet, and you dried it not too long afterward, it won't hurt it, it's only when it stays wet for long periods of time, like a few days or more.