Thread: Learning with Electric

User Info Menu

Default Learning with Electric

Hey Guys,

I was wondering what your thoughts were about electric drum sets, ie are they a good medium to learn/expand skills on, are they too complex, can they be upgraded in the future etc.

I live in an apartment block in Darwin, and the neighbours aren't very accommodating, so I think that the only way for me to go about this is by using a set such as this, as even snares seem to piss them off.

Although being a bit older than the average beginner (30), I've tried other instruments, and this is the one for me!

Cheers in advance

User Info Menu

Default Re: Learning with Electric

Hey Frenchy welcome to drum chat ! I would say go to the e drum section and surf around there . I would be glad to answer any questions . I play my DIY e drums daily and they are by far my favorite set to practice with and it looks like I will be using them out some in the near future...can't wait !! TTLY John

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Frenchy! First of all, you're never too old to begin. I began when I was 52. It's all about the joy of playing, and that can happen at any age. As to playing an e-kit, there are plenty of people here that play an e-kit. I have played an e-kit, and I don't find them to be too complex at all. It sounds, given your neighbors, that the e-kit might be the perfect solution for you. Keep in mind, though, that if you live in a multi-story dwelling the bass pedal might be a little loud to those downstairs even on an e-kit. There's a whole thread about that one.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Electronic kits are a lot of fun. It's harder to make the transition from acoustic to electronic as well, especially if you've been playing on an acoustic set up to your specifications. With electronic kits, you don't have as much fine tuning over how playable your kit is, in terms of tuning heads for rebound/sound, moving stuff around (you can do it, but it's limited) and accuracy, all the pads are the same size, but it forces you to play better because of it. Plus, you've got a lot of sonic experimentation and software that will really help. If you feel the passion for an acoustic set, go for it, but don't neglect the good old electric!
    (BTW, I just spent 2 hours today bashing a beautiful Roland to bits in one of my local music stores, now I'm really jealous and want an electric kit of my own :p)
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

E-kits are great for quieter practice. I am faced with owning two great acoustic kits and all I can do when I'm not rehearsing or gigging is polish them and look at 'em. It is frustrating to say the very least! Drums and drumming are such a huge part of who I am that an E-kit is the way to go.
    The technilogical advances in two and three zone pads and the multitudes of different kit sounds you can dial in with some of these set ups is mind boggling. I was always on the fence when it came to Electronic drum kits. For me it was acoustic or NOTHING. That was until I was pushed into using a Roland TD-20 to record drum tracks on a friend's cd. WOW..I love that kit! At 5k..there is no way I could ever afford to own one. I am keeping my eyes open for a used Yamaha DTXplorer or something like it. E-kits are great! -Les