Thread: Yamaha DTXplorer??

User Info Menu

Exclamation Yamaha DTXplorer??

What are some of the pros and cons of this electronic kit as compared to others in its price range. I need something to practice on (live in an apartment) that will prolly never be used outside my spare bedroom.. Although it's not out of the question. Forgive me.. but I am a complete dum-dum as far as electronic kits.. I think I would like it to have a metronome/click and some songs to play along to..Whats with midi output? I hear alot about that,,.. -Les

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha DTXplorer??

Well a lot of drummers don't like the rubber pads, I've played guitar with a drummer who uses one and it sounds great, and i've tried it out and thought it played well. Best bet is try one out at the store before you buy.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    Well a lot of drummers don't like the rubber pads, I've played guitar with a drummer who uses one and it sounds great, and i've tried it out and thought it played well. Best bet is try one out at the store before you buy.
    I hear that CD..I just figured I could go into the shop and not sound too stupid. -Les

User Info Menu

I have the express 4 special, has an onboard click that that can be changed up from time signature and subdivisions within the time.On board tunes with or without the play along drum track , groove check etc etc. also bringing in an ipod thru the aux in and balancing the volume of songs and your ekit drum sound is great. the price is great, the feel is ok. the hats are the weakest part of an e kit on my opinion.
    as for the midi, musical instrument digital interface. wikipedia it. all the best.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Go for it Les. I have the original DTXpress, and you heard it on my Poison video. It has tons of songs from rock to jazz to play along to, and it has a groove check feature to grade your timing. It's a great, inexpensive set.

I'd like to upgrade mine into to Yamaha DTXtreme IIIs. I love the Rolands, but they're just waaaaay to pricey and as nice as the mesh heads are, I really don't mind the rubber pads.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Go for it Les. I have the original DTXpress, and you heard it on my Poison video. It has tons of songs from rock to jazz to play along to, and it has a groove check feature to grade your timing. It's a great, inexpensive set.

I'd like to upgrade mine into to Yamaha DTXtreme IIIs. I love the Rolands, but they're just waaaaay to pricey and as nice as the mesh heads are, I really don't mind the rubber pads.
    hey Kevin. new to the boards. i got a question about the hi hat settings on the dtxpress kit you were playing. i cant seem to get the hi hat to slip like real ones. i have a OK closed sound and a OK open sound, but i can't get them to slip. any suggestions

User Info Menu

I have the DTXplorer II and its brilliant, with a clean, realistic sound that works a treat, I live in England and it cost £500, so if your in the USA that's about $900 i believe, its worth the money. Great kit

User Info Menu

We have a DTExpress III that's used as a quiet practice kit for when my daughter is sleeping (although we have the Yamaha PA that goes with it w/ the sub). They are very cool for practice, etc...

The Rolands are really cool, but when you play them (like I did at the store recently) you realize it's not really worth the huge price difference. The mesh heads are better so if it was my only set maybe, but not worth the $2000+ price difference.

Probably the biggest thing that bothers me is not having the hi-hat controller that looks like real hats. It's weird just hitting a pad, and the pedal is slow. Also not really worth the cost to upgrade however.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

i played this in a store endlessly, its a very fun module, and not a bad kit either

User Info Menu

currently have one in my room right next to my stage customs... anyway very nice kit. love the options and it sound very good and i like the pads.
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bytor View Post
    hey Kevin. new to the boards. i got a question about the hi hat settings on the dtxpress kit you were playing. i cant seem to get the hi hat to slip like real ones. i have a OK closed sound and a OK open sound, but i can't get them to slip. any suggestions
    Hey Bytor,

I just saw this now, so you may have already figured it out, but I wanted to touch base anyway. Maybe it's that I have the oldest DTX module, maybe it's a fluke, But I get closed hat sounds, open hat sounds, a nice HH "chick" and even good hat splashes. As for a "slip" I assume you mean an open hat that's choked quickly? Since it's just a pad and not a 'real' moving clutched cymbal, you have to change your foot timing a smidge to get that choke.

It's one of the few gripes most e-players have.

Give my regards to the snow dog.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

thanks for getting back. it took a while to get use to but, like you said i had to change the timing a bit. thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    What are some of the pros and cons of this electronic kit as compared to others in its price range. I need something to practice on (live in an apartment) that will prolly never be used outside my spare bedroom.. Although it's not out of the question. Forgive me.. but I am a complete dum-dum as far as electronic kits.. I think I would like it to have a metronome/click and some songs to play along to..Whats with midi output? I hear alot about that,,.. -Les
    Les,
    I have the DTXpress III and I can vouch for the fact that for the money it would be perfect for at home practice. Everyone else is on the mark about the pros and cons and differences between the Yamaha kit vs Roland. The only real thing for you to be sure of is that playing the rubber pads works for you. It is different, but for practice it's never been a problem for me.

The midi output is really only relevant if you need to use the kit to trigger/control other midi instruments.
    An amateur practices until they get it right.
    A professional practices until they can't get it wrong.
    (That would make me an amateur.)

User Info Menu

I have a DTXpress III and I can't take it anymore. I really don't like any of the pads or heads. Do you guys do anything to make them feel less plasticky? I may start a thread on this.

User Info Menu

If you can afford the diff. get the Dtxpress IV special. It's a really good kit and has the upgraded cymbals, hi hat and snare drum. To me it provides the most bang for the buck...