Thread: Does anyone else hold their sticks like I do?

User Info Menu

Default Does anyone else hold their sticks like I do?

This may sound like an odd question, but I can not find anyone else other than me and the other drummer who taught me how to play(my Uncle)that holds their sticks like this.....

I'm right handed and hold my right stick the same way most do with the tip end towards my drums. But, I hold my left stick, which is the one I play snare with, holding the tip end with the butt end towards my drums. Not only is that the only way I have ever played, but it gives me more attack on the snare and helps with rim shots as well.

Does anyone else do this?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Does anyone else hold their sticks like I do?

I've seen it done, but only for short periods of time. It's a little brutal on the heads and cymbals. I'd suggest playing around with head combinations, stick weights and maybe different snare drums to get the sound/volume you want.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

When I played metal when I was younger I did. Then I went and got sticks that were all butt end, no tip side. They were easier to hold on to.

I will do it now sometimes but when I am playing on the rim and I need it a little louder to cut through the band.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I hold my LH stick exactly as you describe whenever I switch to matched grip. I get more attack and it's more confortable. It also lends itself perfectly for going into
    Bossa and latin syle playing on the snare (crosstick across the rim). Elvin Jones did
    this constantly and he talked about it as being one way to change the texture and sound of his playing.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

Subrick Guest

Mike Portnoy holds his sticks like that.

User Info Menu

I occasionally switch to the butt end of the stick, although I hold it a bit closer to the middle than when I use the tip of the stick to hit the drum. As with rmandel, if the song calls for a big solid backbeat, I often switch to the butt end of the stick.

User Info Menu

Yes! When Playing The Floor Tom.it's Much More Effective.

User Info Menu

Nah i just use matched grip

User Info Menu

Like you, I hold my sticks. . .
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
    This may sound like an odd question, but I can not find anyone else other than me and the other drummer who taught me how to play(my Uncle)that holds their sticks like this.....

I'm right handed and hold my right stick the same way most do with the tip end towards my drums. But, I hold my left stick, which is the one I play snare with, holding the tip end with the butt end towards my drums. Not only is that the only way I have ever played, but it gives me more attack on the snare and helps with rim shots as well.

Does anyone else do this?
    No.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

when people flip their sticks and it only flipps half way is the only time i have seen it