Thread: Cleaning up black painted rotos

User Info Menu

Default Cleaning up black painted rotos

So I'm looking to ebay my vintage rotos (no comments), but I need to clean them up. A little rust on screws, etc.., but generally good shape.

Any suggestions?

Should I put new heads on before I sell them, or let the buyer do that? I thought maybe putting some new heads on would help them sell.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cleaning up black painted rotos

Anything you can do to make your Rotos stand out from the pack would be good, but just remember that people are looking for great deals right now, so price is really going to be the biggest draw right now. People will be willing to do a little work, if the price is right.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I dunno, man, I'm keeping mine. They are fun to add another dimension to your kit.

If you really are going to sell them, leave the heads. You are going to spend roughly $30 to put on new heads and I doubt you'll get $100 selling the rotos. I just looked on ebay and they are new for $100.

I say keep them.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Bish, I think you've got the better idea. I love mine too. I go back and forth on how much I play them, but when I want to hear them as part of a rhythm, they are cool to have available.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

New at $100 is probably not Remo's with a stand. New they are $270.

Unfortunately just looked at them closely and they are a bit more banged up than I thought. That's one of the problems with black painted stuff, gets scratched.

Think I'll try listing them cheap with the heads that are there and see what I get. I'm not going to use them again, I guarantee it. Doesn't really fit a need with my band.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

KO, I bought mine for $50. They were in someone's basement, and they had a fair amount of rust, needed new heads, and the black was in rough shape. Figured for $50 I could afford to resurrect them, and did. One of the best things I've done. Don't worry, someone will want them. Hey, maybe I'll buy 'em and add another row of Roto Toms somewhere! After all, I still have plenty of room below the ceiling!

User Info Menu

Just finished a quick clean. Probably will WD40 tomorrow on the rods, etc... Once I lube it up some, they actually aren't too bad. Looks like issues are only cosmetic. As I said, there's definitely some scratches in the black paint, but it seems like nothing functionally wrong with them.

I'm not sure if they are Remo. The stand says Samson on it. So in the end probably won't get that much for them. Given that I don't use them I'll still probably sell them.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

keep them. You will regret selling them down the line. Sell something else around the house that you don't use much.

User Info Menu

Like my rotos? Truth be told I won't regret it. I haven't played them in about 20 years and I don't see using them again. Maybe I'll CL them.

Honestly don't have much to sell since I don't really own much more than I need.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

The best way to sell things on Ebay is to have great pictures of what you're selling. Another tip is to try and keep the shipping down to a minimum. People look at the current price and add the shipping and things start looking too expensive.

Take heed of the picture comments, it really does sell the product, I know.

Dennis