Thread: bad drum gear

User Info Menu

Default bad drum gear

i think im the victim of bad gear.. my snare stand doesnt seem to stay on the ground when i play and my stool keeps coming undone completely every half hour. can anyone tell me if the pearl 900 series snare stand is good? and also are there any better stools out there than the one pacific has for 20 dollars? thanks

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: bad gear

Is this ? for real Nuff Said stools better than 20 bucks come on

User Info Menu

i mean im using a cheap one that i paid 20 bucks for, and i wanna know what the better ones are

User Info Menu

There are a couple threads on Thrones you may want to look at. I think you would be much happier on a throne than a stool.

User Info Menu

What kind of surface are you playing on? Do you have the snare legs spread out enough?
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Study how its made and what's causing it not to work. You might be able to fix it with a little effort.

User Info Menu

MDB, if you are sitting on a $20 round throne, you have my sympathies - been there, done that. There are definitely better thrones available. I got a Ludwig tractor style throne for about $70, and I am very happy with it. You can also spend upwards of $120 for a good Rock N Sock throne, and even more if you want a back support on the throne.

As to the snare hardware, I'm sure you would be very happy with the Pearl 900 series hardware. I would also recommend the PDP 900 series hardware. I have a PDP 900 hi-hat stand that is rock solid, and it's a little easier on the wallet than equivalent Pearl stand. What is the maker of your current stand?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

To add to PB's response, I have a Gibraltar snare stand and a Tama snare stand. Not sure of the series, as I bought them used. I like them both, a lot. I'll see if I can get more info on them.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

OK MD...time you start taking care of your issues. There's a huge difference between inexpensive and cheap. It's none of my business how many $20 bills you throw away on cheap gear. Everybody in here can make suggestions but none of it will mean a thing until you get out to the stores, wherever they may be, and check on the merchandise yourself. I have a Roc-N-Soc saddle seat throne...$130. Best $$$ I ever spent on a throne but, it took me a few months to research it for quality and longevity and comfort. I have a PDP snare stand for $45. I don't really care for it. I'm never satisfied with the tilter. I bought it as it was suggested by a friend of mine. Live and Learn.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Mort, its a good thing that you value our opinions, but you are the one that is going to be using the squipment, you need to do the resserch look at mucisians friend, or guitat center. go to a few shops and play with the stuff, see it if will meet your needs an fit in your budget.
    Fat Pat, show us your drums page 138, post 3429
    always chang'n sumth'n

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    MDB, if you are sitting on a $20 round throne, you have my sympathies - been there, done that. There are definitely better thrones available. I got a Ludwig tractor style throne for about $70, and I am very happy with it. You can also spend upwards of $120 for a good Rock N Sock throne, and even more if you want a back support on the throne.

As to the snare hardware, I'm sure you would be very happy with the Pearl 900 series hardware. I would also recommend the PDP 900 series hardware. I have a PDP 900 hi-hat stand that is rock solid, and it's a little easier on the wallet than equivalent Pearl stand. What is the maker of your current stand?
    I agree, the PDP 900 series are rock solid and very affordable, I've played the hi hat stand before seemed very strong and reliable.

User Info Menu

I have Pearl hardware and have never had a problem with it--not sure what series (somewhere in the middle, I guess).

You have my sympathies on the stool. When I first got back into drumming a few years ago, I picked up the cheapest thing they had in the store. After about an hour of playing, I was aching. Now, I have a Pork Pie throne and a Roc-n-Soc throne. They're both good and about the same price range. I prefer the Roc-n-Soc by a slight margin because it really conforms to your body, making it just a bit more comfortable. Really, though, you can't go wrong with either one.
    Ludwig Classic Maple w/Supraphonic Snare
    Sonor S-Classix
    Paiste New Signature Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I got a sweet pork pie used at my local shop for $50.00. It is heaven compared to the cheap throne that came with the PDP kit that my church has.

User Info Menu

I went in to get a Roc N Soc and ended up with a nice DW. It just fit better..
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Roc N Soc is the way to go. Im saving what little "extra" money I get to acquire one. Im thinking like Quickstang make sure you have the legs out far enough.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    I think you would be much happier on a throne than a stool.
    ....very true BLD
    Heres another one that would allow some multitasking..
    ...get rid of the stool..get on the Throne!

-Les MODS: delete this post if you deem it inappropriate..my apologies in advance,,I couldn't resist!
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 02-17-2009 at 10:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MortalDrumbat View Post
    i think im the victim of bad gear.. my snare stand doesnt seem to stay on the ground when i play and my stool keeps coming undone completely every half hour. can anyone tell me if the pearl 900 series snare stand is good? and also are there any better stools out there than the one pacific has for 20 dollars? thanks
    1. Yes, of course the Pearl 900 series snare stand is good. Pearl hardware is very highly rated, and for good reason.

2. EVERY stool above $20 is better than a $20 stool.

3. Les, I want one of those!!!!

4 MD, I think you're the victim of not checking out your options.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    ....very true BLD

-Les MODS: delete this post if you deem it inappropriate..my apologies in advance,,I couldn't resist!
    Well, it would have looked better in Police Blue Sparkle Fade.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Well, it would have looked better in Police Blue Sparkle Fade.
    HOLA como estas BISH 008 secret drummer spy ancient wise OWL BIRD CAT creative artistic open minded drummer artist withi great wisdom aware-ness knowledge VERY fuuny Both you cats LES & 008 Gracias amigo's

User Info Menu

so i guess i should get the 900 series stool and snare stand? i think ill do that

User Info Menu

I'm just assuming here but humor me. It sounds like you are looking to get something over the internet. IF that is the case then as some others have mentioned you can still do that. Your best route is STILL try first and buy later. That cool looking stool/snare stand you saw on blablabla.com might not be as cool or comfortable as you thought from the picture. Most online stores do accept returns but why go through the hassle? Additionaly most companies don't cover the return shipping costs. Good luck!
    www.myspace.com/joeguitar

Feel free to request me. Just make sure you add a message with it cause I get too many from people I just don't know.

User Info Menu

I have a Gibraltar MC seat throne with backrest and a DW snare stand. Both are rock solid perfect. Shop around and see what works best for your budget. As the old saying go's,,,you get what you pay for. Check eBay or Craigslist. You might find a good deal.

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    ....very true BLD

What's up with the flood lights going to the bottom of the bowl???

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sonorkid View Post
    What's up with the flood lights going to the bottom of the bowl???

sk
    Is that where you go fishing for brown trout. Nuff Said