Thread: new to mics

User Info Menu

Default new to mics

its not yet a concern of mine, but sometime down the line it probably will be so im wondering, what are the best mics to get and what else do i need to mic besides them? i saw a 7 pack of CAD premiums for 175, so im pickin between those and Shure PG series. just generally wondering what the good mics are for the good price. btw, is it true you can use a cheap karaoke machine as a pa? get back

User Info Menu

Default Re: new to mics

25,000 watt PA w/subs to handle the bassdrum. 3 way system w/crossover.

Condensor mics for the overheads and hats. Shure 56/7 for the toms and snare.

Good quality low impedence XLR cables for every mic and an isolation mount or boom stand per mic.

You will also want at least a 10 XLR channel mixer with control room outputs and sub 3-4 for any effects. It also doesn't hurt to have a good sound engineer running the controls.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I currently use that mic set, and I am very happy with them, buy them. And absolutely not, a karaoke machine is NOT a PA lol.
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post

Good quality low impedence XLR cables for every mic and an isolation mount or boom stand per mic.

You will also want at least a 10 XLR channel mixer with control room outputs and sub 3-4 for any effects. It also doesn't hurt to have a good sound engineer running the controls.
    Yeah, I would think 25,000 watts would do it for any stadium I know of.

I'd go with a 16-channel mixer though.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

i have the PGs mixed with an sm57 (snare) and akg d112 (kick)they work great even tho the clips are a pain to use with rims mounts. they are more expensive and perhaps a little better than the cads. i have em cuz i paid like 50 bux for the 6pc pack. honestly (IMO) for just about any amature app. the cads will do well. just check out dwdrumrs vids and recordings. as far as a mixer and PA, if you are going to use them for live playing, chances are the band or venue will handle the PA and mixer part. make sure you have your own cables and clips/stands. if the band does not have room for 5-7 mics(or however many you need), then a cheep mixer like a yamaha mg series or a behrenger will work well.

mics and PA are like drums. there are different needs for different levels of performance. it's like... just because a pearl export is not a masters kit don't mean it sucks. that export will serve you well all the way up to the pros when you will need a pro level kit. my entire PA cost me just about a 1200 and is almost all behringer (wich according to gear snobs, is like cad is to mics). it has all performed fantastic for the last 1 1/2 years.
    if you have the cash and anticipate the need for pro gear, then go all out and get the best you can buy. if you are just playing local bars and making demos, then the best you can afford will work JUST AS WELL.

User Info Menu

id get a presonus 18channel firewire. Least recording is always an option later on if you want

What kind of pa do you want because like everyone said different needs etc. A 750 watt... or 1000watt brick normally does begginners. for bars and stuff.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post

Agreed, but I would go with sennheiser 421s for the toms and as Norske said, at least a 16 channel board. -Les

User Info Menu

maybe i should just trigger it and have an amp.. this all sounds complicated

User Info Menu

Fatality....
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Think Roland drums Mortal, then if you get tired during a set, heck, click the play button on the drum machine!

User Info Menu

MortalDrumbat has been banned. just fyi.

-Les