Thread: a church drumline (?)

User Info Menu

Default a church drumline (?)

My dad n I were talkin in his car one day at the movies n we were joking about a church drumline. That joke has now turned into "We should really do this" and we're not sure how to start it. Or what we'll do with it. We'll get the drums n harnesses n maybe stands from my high school. But we're not sure if anyone else has a church drumline.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Default Re: a church drumline (?)

Anything is fair game for the church as long as it is done for the right reasons. If it is a God given talent that is being offered to the church, why not offer it? Of course, some churches have been known to be a little resistant to new things, so be willing to be patient.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: a church drumline (?)

That's not out of the question! You may have heard of a motivational youth group called Sheltered Reality, which has dozens of organized groups across the country, in which members play timbales and cymbals in performances that look and sound quite a bit like a drumline!

Google "Sheltered Reality" for more details.

I played with them on one occasion in 2007 and, had I not been financially stressed-out at the time, would have joined them. It was a lot of fun (if deafening!)

There's no reason you can't do something similar at church--but it may be easier to start with a drum circle of hand drums if you can't rustle up enough drumline components! Good luck, man!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    That's not out of the question! You may have heard of a motivational youth group called Sheltered Reality, which has dozens of organized groups across the country, in which members play timbales and cymbals in performances that look and sound quite a bit like a drumline!

I played with them on one occasion in 2007 and, had I not been financially stressed-out at the time, would have joined them. It was a lot of fun (if deafening!)

There's no reason you can't do something similar at church--but it may be easier to start with a drum circle of hand drums if you can't rustle up enough drumline components! Good luck, man!
    Here, I'm talkin snare, tenors, bass n cymbals. A real drumline but for the church. The reason being that I'm goin for tenors on my high school drumline n my dad has played in the Harvard high school drumline in his days. But I have friends who go to my church that like to do the same thing.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post

I remember about a year ago there was a woman on the board here who had a child in that group and I checked out their web-site and thought them to be very impressive .

concrete Building , you dont necessarily have to start a traditional drumline . You could try just a percussion line with wood blocks , bongos , maracas , cowbell etc for a variety of sounds , along with snare and cymbals .

User Info Menu

If your church is using the schools drums and harnesses how will the school use them?Also how do you know the school would even consider lending those out drums are pretty expensive so they may not want to risk it.Also the harnesses have to be adjusted to a persons size so if your both using them at the same time your gonna have adjust them everytime. Lastly is the school a private school? because if it isn't your school probably couldn't lend it's drums even if it wanted to because your school couldnt get involved with religion. The relgion thing is strict, my drumline used to practice in the churchs gym next to us since the schools was being used by basketball then they told us we couldnt even practice in the gym of a church so we had to practice in the parking lot until basketball ended. thats how strict they are so heads up.

User Info Menu

Hello. I formed a church drummline around 7 years ago. I was a Young Adults Pastor at the time so I simply gathered high school, college and in between drummers, even some parents who played in school as a youngster. We used equipment lent to us by my old high school. 4 snares, 1 quad, 1 quint, 3 bass drums, 3 cymbals. We marched in the Christmas parades of 5 or 6 local cities, and played at several camp meetings all over Texas for 5 years. We were judged with the high school marching bands and beat them a few times.
    Last edited by Reverend D.; 03-30-2009 at 12:51 PM.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Beetbox View Post
    If your church is using the schools drums and harnesses how will the school use them?Also how do you know the school would even consider lending those out drums are pretty expensive so they may not want to risk it.Also the harnesses have to be adjusted to a persons size so if your both using them at the same time your gonna have adjust them everytime. Lastly is the school a private school? because if it isn't your school probably couldn't lend it's drums even if it wanted to because your school couldnt get involved with religion. The relgion thing is strict, my drumline used to practice in the churchs gym next to us since the schools was being used by basketball then they told us we couldnt even practice in the gym of a church so we had to practice in the parking lot until basketball ended. thats how strict they are so heads up.
    Geez, It is definitely not that hard to do.The school can easily lend you stored gear that just sits in their attic. My church had absolutely no trouble getting past the "RELIGION" factor, neither did the high school. Don't get discouraged, it can easily be done.
    Last edited by Reverend D.; 03-30-2009 at 12:58 PM.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

I looked at Ebay for what I could find and the prices were unbelievable. For example: $25 for tenors!
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    I looked at Ebay for what I could find and the prices were unbelievable. For example: $25 for tenors!
    were the tenors made of sheets of paper?
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

surprisingly, no!! They were the same kind you and I have at school
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

What's the point of a church drumline?
    That's ridiculous. I'm not against nice church bands who can entertain the masses (lots of stringed instruments and light percussion). But a church drumline would be expensive and deafening.

Be in your high school drumline, it'll sound better, cleaner, and you get to march.

User Info Menu

oh. Stop yourself. I think it will be a great idea.

Yes, I can be self defensive.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

It sounds like an awesome idea. Just talk to the church officials about it first. We almost got something like that together at our church, but we couldn't get the instruments from the school :( We had an extra 5 basses, 4 quints, and 6 snares (since we had gotten brand new drums that year) we coulda used, but our director was really uptight about it. And as for the people who think it's a bad idea, really, there is nobody who doesn't like hearing a good drumline every once in awhile.