Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's time for a signiture Travis Barker snare drum, WELL, WHAT DO YOU THINK!!!!

User Info Menu

Default It's time for a signiture Travis Barker snare drum, WELL, WHAT DO YOU THINK!!!!

How many people really know what snare he uses? (if you do know please tell me). But really I think his snare would be awsome, fat and deep!, made by OCDP of coarse!!. If you agree say I!.

User Info Menu

Default Re: It's time for a signiture Travis Barker snare drum, WELL, WHAT DO YOU THINK!!!!

nay!
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Default Re: It's time for a signiture Travis Barker snare drum, WELL, WHAT DO YOU THINK!!!!

No thanks...

I would never ever buy any signature drum kit or signature anything, I mean unoriginal or what? I'd rather make my own trademarks and set up

User Info Menu

RSS, the problem with trying to emulate any performer's sound is that it is run through a sound system for live performances, and EQ'ed to give the sound that is heard. If it is a studio album that has that beautiful snare sound that you heard, then the EQ'ing is even more of a factor. My advice is not to worry so much about emulating a performer's sound, just learn everything you can about snares so that you learn how to create the sound that you like, then go find a high quality snare to help you create the sound.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'd rather play on a tin can!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    RSS, the problem with trying to emulate any performer's sound is that it is run through a sound system for live performances, and EQ'ed to give the sound that is heard. If it is a studio album that has that beautiful snare sound that you heard, then the EQ'ing is even more of a factor. My advice is not to worry so much about emulating a performer's sound, just learn everything you can about snares so that you learn how to create the sound that you like, then go find a high quality snare to help you create the sound.
    I want to agree with Pastor Bob 100%. My favorite drummer's snare has sounded exactly the same over a period of close to 40 years and probably as many snare drums. Nuff Said [By permission of Larrysperf]
    "No Sharezies!"

User Info Menu

I can't condemn the idea of signature drums in general. I've been playing a Dave Weckl snare for about 18 years now, and will continue to do so. I think in order to warrant a signature drum, the player has to make some sort of significant contribution to drumming, which Travis Barker has not. I'm not bashing him, and he does have decent hands. He is known to people beacuse of the reality TV show and by being in one band that had some exposure. Sticks, maybe, but he'll have to put in another decade or so of steady contribution to justify a drum.

Then again, we already have the Slipknot guy with his name on stuff.

User Info Menu

Everything on an album is different to what it sounds like when recorded (Drum wise) after recording the drum track there will be significant EQ'ing, filters, compression, pitch and tone changes and echo.

User Info Menu

drummers who get signature snare drums are vary particular about there sound. travis barker is one of those drummers who is more concerned with the look of the kit. than what its made of or how it sounds.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Ummm..no. Travis Barker should not have his own snare nor should he be put on the great pedastal he has. Just my opinion. -Les

User Info Menu

yeah I guess.... But are your comments denieing the fact that he IS an amazing drummer? well he is, and if you say he isnt please, open your eyes, and appreciate some real talent. THANKS!! lol (im not mad this message just sounds a little angry to me for some reason) remember... ILY!!!

User Info Menu

RSS, beauty is always in the eyes of the beholder, so if Travis Barker is a favorite of yours, who is to say that you don't see something worthwhile. And if his drumming inspires you to be a better drummer, then he has indeed done something worthwhile!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsshortstack22 View Post
    yeah I guess.... But are your comments denieing the fact that he IS an amazing drummer? well he is, and if you say he isnt please, open your eyes, and appreciate some real talent. THANKS!! lol (im not mad this message just sounds a little angry to me for some reason) remember... ILY!!!
    Sorry if I offended you bro.. I just don't find Travis Barker all that much of an inspiration. I Look at guys like Gavin Harrison, Virgil Donati, Dom Famularo, Thomas Lang, Neil Peart and the likes and really get inspired and awestruck.
    I am not at all dissing Mr. Barker.. I just personally think that too many young people haven't looked far enough past the tatoos and wild arm swinging to see that there are drummers out there that are (perhaps) more worthy (IMO) of a signature drum or stick or whatever. Travis is a good drummer..but to me, just not an inspiration. -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    Sorry if I offended you bro.. I just don't find Travis Barker all that much of an inspiration. I Look at guys like Gavin Harrison, Virgil Donati, Dom Famularo, Thomas Lang, Neil Peart and the likes and really get inspired and awestruck.
    I am not at all dissing Mr. Barker.. I just personally think that too many young people haven't looked far enough past the tatoos and wild arm swinging to see that there are drummers out there that are (perhaps) more worthy (IMO) of a signature drum or stick or whatever. Travis is a good drummer..but to me, just not an inspiration. -Les
    Well said!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsshortstack22 View Post
    Travis is solid there's no lie in that, hes got a great feel of the 1 and is fairly creative. but when you set his beats next to those of Steve Gadd, Mike Portnoy, billy cobahm, Denis chambers, Jojo Mayer, carter beauford, etc. he falls desperately short. theirs frankly nothing amazing about him. imo
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

pastor bob to the rescue once again!

User Info Menu

I've watched several vids of Travis working out on his kit. The man has excellent technique and discipline as a Drummer. Tatoos not with standing, you just don't attain that level of attainment and recognition by being sloppy and totally without regard to study and hard work. As for the sound of his snare, I'd be willing to bet that he'd be the first to tell you that's it's all a matter of personal preference.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

NAY! Travis plays some great beats in his songs, but he can't solo. Sorry had to get that off my chest.

Anyways, his snare sounds so great because it is miked. Unmiked, it is just very LOUD!
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

urgh no thanks, i hate Travis Barker.

User Info Menu

Well, I would consider Travis a good drummer, but not a good musician. He can throw down a good beat and put on a good show for the crowd. That's about it. He has more fame than drumming skills, but when people hear the name and associate it with drums they automatically assume he is a killer drummer. He is an ok drummer. I have seen monkeys at the circus that play just like him with the arm flinging and all.

It's great he has inspired so many people to play drums, he is definatly one of a kind. The man that inspired me to pick up drum sticks for the first time when I was a kid was Tommy Lee, again he is by NO means close to the greatest drummers in the world, but like Travis, he puts on a good show, but Tommy is known now for a lot of other things besides drumming, (we all know what that is), but I happen to like a good show and I get that when going to see Motley Crue. So now a days when people hear the name Tommy Lee, it's... probably not drums they associate his name with.

As far as signature snares? Take a look at the Joey Jordison snare. It looks killer, sounds very decent, but do you honestly think he plays that same exact snare? No way. The only way I would ever buy a Joey snare, Travis snare or even a Tommy snare, would be if it was his snare used on stage, and I seen him put his signature on it with a sharpie pen. Now that's a signature snare. Other than that, most of the newer Sig stuff is lower end quality kits and putting someone's name on it to sell a few more. Just my 2cents.

User Info Menu

I don't consider Travis Barker that much of a great drummer to be honest, actually I think he's not that good at all, he just got popular because of the bands he was in. If he does release a Signature Snare Drum, one thing is sure, I won't be buying it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavie View Post
    Travis is solid there's no lie in that, hes got a great feel of the 1 and is fairly creative. but when you set his beats next to those of Steve Gadd, Mike Portnoy, billy cobahm, Denis chambers, Jojo Mayer, carter beauford, etc. he falls desperately short. theirs frankly nothing amazing about him. imo
    Couldn't have said it better myself...
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Travis Barker is not a role model for anyone,

Find your own sound and musical personality.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MapexMONSTER View Post
    urgh no thanks, i hate Travis Barker.
    Welcome MapexMONSTER..hate is kinda a strong word... -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    I can't condemn the idea of signature drums in general.

.... we already have the Slipknot guy with his name on stuff.
    And don't forget Morgan Rose!
    Just had to jump in here. I also agree with PBob.

But, I did buy the Morgan Rose Pearl snare. It's my first metal snare in over 30 years (had a Permier 2004....in my other life - early 70's) and I really like it. I bought it because it was a good price, it was GREEN - I like green - it was metal and it sounded nice.

There's a whole lot of reasons for buying a signature snare drum - I guess one of them should be that you like it - and that might just be the main reason...........

Drumming is just so much fun...go for it if it will make you feel good, life is short and...you just can't have too many drums.
    Gary