Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random act of kindness

User Info Menu

Default Random act of kindness

Hey everyone.. I have a little story to share with you..
    On my way home from work tonight, I got to thinking how rude society has become in the last 10 or so years. Everyone is soo hurried, doing 85 MPH on the freeway and pretty much oblivious to the preciousness of life and living.

I started to think of how 1 person could make a difference in just 1 other persons life..if only for a few minutes.. to get that person to smile and feel blessed. Maybe that would start a chain reaction of Random acts of Kindness? Who knows..

I felt moved to show some love to a total stranger.. But how? What could I do to make someone's day alittle nicer? Sitting in a drive thru picking up some quick dinner, it dawned on me! Why not pay for the person behind me's food.. Silly? maybe. I felt a pull on my heart to do it. I asked the drive thru attendant after I paid for my food, how much the total was for the car behind me. $6.72. I can do that! I looked at the drive thru guy, who by now was really looking baffled and told him that I wanted to bless someone and that I would pick up the tab for the car behind me! He looked down at me and said in amazement, "really"? I replied "yeah, God has been good to me and I want to bless someone". I handed the attendant the money and told him to tell the people in the car behind me to "be blessed".

One small act of kindness can really go a long way! I know this gesture made the attendant smile and he probably had a story to tell other workers and family members.. And to the people in the car behind me?? Maybe they will commit a random act of kindness on their own... and so on..and so on...

I challenge you folks reading this post to do something like this to spread alittle love and make someone's day just alittle brighter. -Les
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 02-18-2009 at 10:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Random act of kindness

Great story Les! I have also done this before, or I will sometimes buy some random person's coffee in the morning...stuff like that! Hopefully they spread it around a little!

And it's kind of sad how people look at you with that baffled look on their faces when you try to do something nice for a complete stranger!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Great story, Les!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Awesome and a true act of kindness indeed.

User Info Menu

Awesome Les, thanks for reminding everyone. I used to do something like this before but as you said everyone is so busy and seems to be always in a hurry, myself included.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Hey Les, can you slide me 80 bucks?

Seriously; it's great to be reminded of how each one of us can make an impact on this world. - Thank you!

User Info Menu

Sell me the Kent snare drum for $100!

Just kidding you Les.

Great story!

all the best...

User Info Menu

People were doing the same thing at Starbucks. It is a GREAT idea! Out here, there are a lot of homeless people that ask for change. A couple years ago, I was approached by someone at a Circle K. I asked him what he really wanted to do with this "spare change". He told me he just wanted to get some beer. So, I didn't say anything. I came out with a quart of beer for him, and told him thanks for being honest. I just felt that instead of giving a BS story about being out of gas or something, his honesty was worth it.

User Info Menu

I remeber when our Jazz band was playing at a youth convention. The guest speaker was telling us a story. He was traveling the country and needed a hotel, well his plane was late by a few hour so he lost the room he had reserved. So when he got to the hotel at 1 in the morning the man at the desk, Didn't even notice he was there intill he rung the bell. He asked if he had any rooms, the man said we only have suites on the top floor. So the speaker said "If the president of the U.S were to walk in and ask for that suite would you give it to him??" of course he replyed yes. He said "Ill take the room" So the man at the counter was now all angry and asked him for a credit card. So the speaker pulled out a flash card that said "A major credit card" this really got the guy mad so he asked for some picture I.D so he pulled out a card with a smile face on it that said "Picture I.D" He said by the end of the night he had the kid laughing and smiling...

He also said. When you're next to someone at a stop light turn and look at them, Put on this Huge creepy grin and wave. They'll have a story to tell their family when they get home! The creepy person at the red light

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fredr View Post
    When you're next to someone at a stop light turn and look at them, Put on this Huge creepy grin and wave. They'll have a story to tell their family when they get home! The creepy person at the red light
    See, these are the kind of situations that you get shot in.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

It really is such a simple and inexpensive gesture. Think about the world we live in. One small act of love can turn someones day around. I am inspired to do this more often. I will. -Les

User Info Menu

I was once (Ok, more than once LOL) checking out at Wal-Mart and as I waited I was talking with the older woman in from of me. As we got closer to the cashier, this woman began digging in her purse. To make a long story short, when the woman got to the counter, she didn't have a way to pay for her groceries. She didn't have a huge amount, so I just leaned into the conversation and told the cashier that I would be happy to pay for the groceries - it just seemed like the right thing to do, and I told the woman that she didn't have to worry about repaying me, just find a way to do a kindness for someone else. Well, by the reaction of the people in line, and the cashier, you would have thought I was Mother Teresa. It made me realize how rare these acts of kindness really are that they would be seen with such wonder. In our current economy, we will all have more opportunities to practice acts of random kindness. Thanks for the reminder Les!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I was once (Ok, more than once LOL) checking out at Wal-Mart and as I waited I was talking with the older woman in from of me. As we got closer to the cashier, this woman began digging in her purse. To make a long story short, when the woman got to the counter, she didn't have a way to pay for her groceries. She didn't have a huge amount, so I just leaned into the conversation and told the cashier that I would be happy to pay for the groceries - it just seemed like the right thing to do, and I told the woman that she didn't have to worry about repaying me, just find a way to do a kindness for someone else. Well, by the reaction of the people in line, and the cashier, you would have thought I was Mother Teresa. It made me realize how rare these acts of kindness really are that they would be seen with such wonder. In our current economy, we will all have more opportunities to practice acts of random kindness. Thanks for the reminder Les!
    I don't have to tell you where my inspiration comes from Bob. -Les

User Info Menu

Amen Les. When I realized that the woman couldn't pay for her groceries, it took all of about 2 secs for me to me moved to action. I didn't even think about it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

PB, The world needs more people like you!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    PB, The world needs more people like you!!
    Thank you BLD, and I would say that we just need more kindhearted people like we have here at Drum Chat. If truly caring for one another became the world's highest ideal, most of our problems would vanish.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    See, these are the kind of situations that you get shot in.

you would have to be really picky in who you do that too, LOL
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post

you would have to be really picky in who you do that too, LOL
    Yeah, like no one over the age of 6. Most under that age can't lift a pistol and shoot accurately.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I don't know if this counts but whenever we have a good size snowstorm here I bring the snow thrower out and clean the entire block for all my neighbors. A few of which are elderly.

Cheers,
    John
    "No Sharezies!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-MANN View Post
    I don't know if this counts but whenever we have a good size snowstorm here I bring the snow thrower out and clean the entire block for all my neighbors. A few of which are elderly.

Cheers,
    John
    Absolutely G-Mann!!! A act of kindness is an act of kindness! Keep it up brother! -Les

User Info Menu

Im usually a right miserable sod and very private when it comes to my neighbours, but My neighbour is in for a tumour removal this week . I snowblowed his diveway today and I will do it everytime it snows until he is back up to it. which I hope is real soon..............
    not coz Im a lazy sod , but because I honestly wish him all the best.

What goes around comes around. This I strongly believe the older and wiser I get...........................
    Now, thats enough soppy stuff for one day.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Im usually a right miserable sod and very private when it comes to my neighbours, but My neighbour is in for a tumour removal this week . I snowblowed his diveway today and I will do it everytime it snows until he is back up to it. which I hope is real soon..............
    not coz Im a lazy sod , but because I honestly wish him all the best.

What goes around comes around. This I strongly believe the older and wiser I get...........................
    Now, thats enough soppy stuff for one day.
    Thats beautiful rat! Prolum is.. there isn't enuff soppy stuff these days. You have a good heart. -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    ...but My neighbour is in for a tumour removal this week . I snowblowed his diveway today and I will do it everytime it snows until he is back up to it.
    That made my day Rat. You're awesome!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-MANN View Post
    John, that's great man!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    ... It made me realize how rare these acts of kindness really are that they would be seen with such wonder.
    Yes Bob. We could all do so much more. I'm working on that this year.