Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the pdp platinum series!! - drum reviews

User Info Menu

Default the pdp platinum series!! - drum reviews

had a chance to hear these awhile ago, so im gonna try and write a review for em as best i can. keep in mind this is based on a configuration of 22Bass, 12, 13Tom, 16F.Tom, and a 6x14 snare

Snare- tons of warmth, good balance of volume, cut, and attack all in one. the new redesigned throw off comes pre-equipped with a plastic snare strip, which will keep the bed in place after you set it. its very flexible however, it no longer sticks like the fs series of the old days used to. its rimshots are very solid, reminescent of the jazz era- loud enough, but its possible to not have to be that loud if the situation calls for it. only available in 4 sizes, but well worth a second look.

Toms, Floor toms- with a much better shell bearing edge, and a slightly stronger drum suspension system, theres a lot to like about the toms. They respond more clearer than pacific's previous maple series like mx and cx due to their redesigned lugs which touch less of the shell and let it resonate more fully. They have excellent midrange with much versatility and medium stick rebound, which in turn results in less dropped sticks during use. The floor toms use much of the same hardware that the previous' lines used, but the "tube lugs" modify their sound slightly and give off a more controlled bounce rather than a big boom this time around.

Bass Drums- These bass drums are just plain awesome. They are very versatile in the sense that they can be ordered in 3 sizes, with or without a drilled tom mount, giving you essentially 6 different sound options. The 22 seemed to have an excellent balance of darkness and warm sustain, thanks again to the redesigned lugs. The hoops compliment the rest of the multitude of finishes excellently, and resist most wears and tears of playing. The spurs are sturdy, and help vastly to prevent bass creeping. I found that these produced a sound reminescent of those heard on modern metal and rock songs, but the different sizes make it capable of being used with virtually any musical application.

My conclusion is this. These drums are insane, an excellent choice for anyone looking to slowly make a kit, perfect it with different options such as choosing between more sizes, color of hardware, what color your hardware is, etc. This is also one of the lines with the most color choices offered for any maple series, there really is something for everyone here. In my humble opinion, if you've ever been skeptical of pacific in the past or present, you really owe it to yourself to play some of these, just try to remember they're not actually DW, and try to fight back those tears of joy.

User Info Menu

Default Re: the pdp platinum series!!

Thanks for the review. I think these drums look like a decent midrange option.

Now...are you saying the style of lugs on a drum prevent the player from dropping sticks?

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MortalDrumbat View Post
    had a chance to hear these awhile ago, so im gonna try and write a review for em as best i can. keep in mind this is based on a configuration of 22Bass, 12, 13Tom, 16F.Tom, and a 6x14 snare

Snare- tons of warmth, good balance of volume, cut, and attack all in one. the new redesigned throw off comes pre-equipped with a plastic snare strip, which will keep the bed in place after you set it. its very flexible however, it no longer sticks like the fs series of the old days used to. its rimshots are very solid, reminescent of the jazz era- loud enough, but its possible to not have to be that loud if the situation calls for it. only available in 4 sizes, but well worth a second look.

Toms, Floor toms- with a much better shell bearing edge, and a slightly stronger drum suspension system, theres a lot to like about the toms. They respond more clearer than pacific's previous maple series like mx and cx due to their redesigned lugs which touch less of the shell and let it resonate more fully. They have excellent midrange with much versatility and medium stick rebound, which in turn results in less dropped sticks during use. The floor toms use much of the same hardware that the previous' lines used, but the "tube lugs" modify their sound slightly and give off a more controlled bounce rather than a big boom this time around.

Bass Drums- These bass drums are just plain awesome. They are very versatile in the sense that they can be ordered in 3 sizes, with or without a drilled tom mount, giving you essentially 6 different sound options. The 22 seemed to have an excellent balance of darkness and warm sustain, thanks again to the redesigned lugs. The hoops compliment the rest of the multitude of finishes excellently, and resist most wears and tears of playing. The spurs are sturdy, and help vastly to prevent bass creeping. I found that these produced a sound reminescent of those heard on modern metal and rock songs, but the different sizes make it capable of being used with virtually any musical application.

My conclusion is this. These drums are insane, an excellent choice for anyone looking to slowly make a kit, perfect it with different options such as choosing between more sizes, color of hardware, what color your hardware is, etc. This is also one of the lines with the most color choices offered for any maple series, there really is something for everyone here. In my humble opinion, if you've ever been skeptical of pacific in the past or present, you really owe it to yourself to play some of these, just try to remember they're not actually DW, and try to fight back those tears of joy.
    Not to be a poopy head here, but shouldn't you actually play the kit before you make a subjective analysis? -Les
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 02-22-2009 at 02:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    Not to be a poopy head here, but shouldn't you actually play the kit before you make a subjective analysis? -Les
    i see your point, and at the time i hadnt played them, but now i have and im convinced they are well worth it. now that i have, i can back that review up a little more.

User Info Menu

i see your point, and at the time i hadnt played them, but now i have and im convinced they are well worth it. now that i have, i can back that review up a little more.
    I have played them briefly and they are a fine set of drums to be sure! -Les

User Info Menu

I actually played these just last night at Guitar Center with a setup of Paiste Twenties. It really was the first time I've ever played a kit that GC took the time to put in tune and setup decently.
    Personally, I thought this kit sounded great with alot of high end on the smaller toms and great tone from the floor toms, not too overwhelming. I think the batters were either Remo Smooth White or Coated Ambassadors, not sure but it sounded nice anyway.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Excellent review. Is it yours or did you cut/paste? Just curious.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    BWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

...the new redesigned throw off comes pre-equipped with a plastic snare strip, which will keep the bed in place after you set it. its very flexible however, it no longer sticks like the fs series of the old days used to. its rimshots are very solid, reminescent of the jazz era- loud enough... only available in 4 sizes, but well worth a second look.

Toms, Floor toms- with a much better shell bearing edge, and a slightly stronger drum suspension system, theres a lot to like about the toms. They respond more clearer than pacific's previous maple series like mx and cx due to their redesigned lugs which touch less of the shell and let it resonate more fully....

Bass Drums- These bass drums are just plain awesome. They are very versatile in the sense that they can be ordered in 3 sizes, with or without a drilled tom mount, giving you essentially 6 different sound options. The 22 seemed to have an excellent balance of darkness and warm sustain, thanks again to the redesigned lugs..... spurs are sturdy, and help vastly to prevent bass creeping.

I found that these produced a sound reminescent of those heard on modern metal and rock songs, but the different sizes make it capable of being used with virtually any musical application.
    Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Excellent review. Is it yours or did you cut/paste? Just curious.
    My conclusion is this is a copy paste..... I love the hardware assessment based on a "hear from a while ago"
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    My conclusion is this is a copy paste..... I love the hardware assessment based on a "hear from a while ago"
    It is quite a deviance from his normal conversation or the usual comments he adds to threads.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

that too
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

So, it's kind of a preview, a view, and a review all rolled into one?
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Fatality
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Yer killin me CD.....
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Meh, I've owned the platinum series. They are ok...nothing to get crazy over.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

the honest truth is that i did not copy and paste anything.. this is just my genuine experience with this series.. the fact that i sound like a rep for the company is purely coincidental and should only be ascertained due to the fact that i liked the way they sounded when i heard them. i mean no disrespect, but if your gonna quote me, please at least say something back

User Info Menu

i mean no disrespect, but if your gonna quote me, please at least say something back
    OK. "something back."
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Ha! Good one.. I missed that. Maybe we will get a review on a Platinum snare drum soon ..I hope.. -Les

User Info Menu

but i own the platinum snare.. im sayin from playin; are you saying just cause i reviewed it that its not a valid review?

User Info Menu

but i own the platinum snare.. im sayin from playin; are you saying just cause i reviewed it that its not a valid review?
    If you are speaking of the above "review"?? Then yep. Sorry, but just hearing someone else play on a kit whether on youtube or in a shop does not make a credible analysis IMO. Originally Posted by MortalDrumbat Fatality
    -Les
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 02-27-2009 at 09:19 PM.

User Info Menu

i reviewed what i heard And played. i own the snare, and plan on getting the rest of the drums with the kit as well. this is a credible review, in case anyone has doubts, im not just talking about things i dont have experience with. FATALITY

User Info Menu

i reviewed what i heard And played. i own the snare, and plan on getting the rest of the drums with the kit as well. this is a credible review, in case anyone has doubts, im not just talking about things i dont have experience with. FATALITY
    Pics pleeease....?? -Les

User Info Menu

It really does seem copy and pasted...

Pictures...

User Info Menu

LOL, holy cow...were was I when this was going on!!??? Oh yeah, working most likely.

Too funny. CD, you are cracking me up in here dude!!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!