Thread: need advice on a Ice Bell

User Info Menu

Default need advice on a Ice Bell

Hey all... need some advice on ice bells.. anyone recommend a bell with a distinct high ping.. never used one before. Was listening to "brother" by alice n chains. want to duplicate that ping... Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Was that an ice bell Sean Kinney was using on that? I always thought he was just hitting the bell on his ride cymbal...?
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

LP makes the "ice bell". They are FANTASTIC!!!!! They're real cheap (about $20-$30). I've had one for about 20 years now. Here's a pic of it;

They're worth EVERY penny!! They're THICK and heavy for their size, and can cut through any volume. Get one, I'm sure you'll love it.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Default Re: need advice on a Ice Bell

Sorry for the late post! Those ice bells look cool, but are you talking about the Sabian one or the LP one?
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

UFIP make one too

and dont forget the Zil-bell

User Info Menu

Cool thing with IceBells is that you can mount them either way, right side up or upside-down (if they're not huge) either by them selves on a cymbal tilter or on top of another cymbal. I've a UFIP one that I often match with some Paiste Cup Chimes. Cup chimes have a slightly different tone.

Aussie drummers like Rob Hirst from Midnight Oil and Cliff Grigg, the old drummer for V.Spy V.Spy used to use UFIP Ice Bells, which you had to kind of hunt down in Australia in the 1980's as they weren't that easy to come by (otherwise you'd spend months on end getting them imported). At the 0:13, 0:43, 2:28 and 2:40 marks you can clearly hear an ice bell (it's hidden amongst other accents in the song).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXfsofI1bbI&feature=player_detailpage"]SPY V SPY ONE OF A KIND - YouTube[/ame]

What Paiste Cup Chimes sound like.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZW72RL_rsQ&feature=player_detailpage"]CARL PALMER Paiste Cup Chime Hi-Hat Clip - YouTube[/ame]
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I use both Zil Bels on my kit. (6.5 and 9" I think they are). I like them. They are an important part of my set up.

Old kit. But the set up is the same. I mount mine upside down.

User Info Menu

Saluda also makes some. In their Voodoo line they have the "V-Bell" which ranges from 6-8", and can be picked up 40~60$ usd.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments