Thread: Gibraltar Dunnett Snare Butt End

User Info Menu

Red face Gibraltar Dunnett Snare Butt End

My back plate is stripped (the but end back plate is stripped) and I want to know if the above will fit a Mapex M Birch snare. I currently have a standard butt end but I think this is a bit better, I can not seem to find details on how it is installed. I want to be sure I do not purchase the wrong item. Any experianced drummers out there, please assist.

Or, how do I obtain the standard back plate i.e. the piece of metal that holds the strainer in place, without replacing the entire butt end unit?
    Last edited by Tazmania; 02-20-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Gibraltar Dunnett Snare Butt End

You can get new one from drum store or you can also get self taping scews to replace the stripped ones. Nuff Said

User Info Menu

Just curious...

What happened?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Um its the plate itself that is striped not the screws. I want to know if this type of butt end will fit a mapex snare, is there an idustry standard that the spacing is the same on all snares for the but plate and the throw switch mounting area.

Bish,

I simply over tightened my rods (the back plate is held by rods vice a tradition flat hed screw). As you tighten the rods/screws the back plate squeezes the strainer plastic end against the butt plate assembly. I will try and get a pic posted. I rather not go to my local music shop they are twice as much as Musicians Friend and DC.
    Last edited by Tazmania; 02-21-2009 at 08:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Here is what I have, the plate is behind the main assembly. I want to know if the Gibralter is better and if it will fit any snare. Can not seem to find any data.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

ok here is what I ordered (Gibraltar Dunnett Snare Butt End). I wanted to get an adjustable one but my snare only has two mounting holes vice three. All and all this is a bit better then what I have above.

I also upgraded my striner to a 20 strand vice 16.

User Info Menu

Update: It did not fit so I went back to the standard, I do have the 20 stand strainer, better sound. Lesson learned, the butt plate holes are not set to an industry standard. They are set by the maker of the drum.

User Info Menu

I condensed the Mapex compatible Gibby stuff onto one page... the strainer/butt part numbers are listed.

I know you figured it out, but just in case anyone is interested... here it is:
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

a really quick and easy fix is to drill out the holes on the plate and the bracket itself and put some short bolts in there. You can have your snare fixed for about 25 cents.

User Info Menu

I am good now but thanks, by the way QS2 nice chart, good ref.

User Info Menu

Thanks. I got tired of looking through 9 pages of the Gibby file so I condensed the Mapex stuff into one page.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

If it were me I would have just re-tapped it with a larger screw and purchased some button top allen head screws in stainless steal for a couple of dollars tops, they would look better than the tension rod headed scress as well.