Thread: double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Default double bass pedal

hey i m a lefty and reverse my kit and play....i m thinking of buying a double bass pedal but am confused how will i use it .....in my area u dont get the lefty DW pedals.....so is there an alternative ?

User Info Menu

If you're a lefty, but you play as a righty, you've been using your right foot for the bass pedal yes?

If that's the case, then you can buy a regular double pedal. Otherwise you'll have to reverse your whole set-up to use the lefty double kick (as both beaters will be on the left pedal).

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

i use my left foot for bass pedal now....so do i hv to buy a lefty db pedal ? or can i change the regular one somehow ?

User Info Menu

That's the way the cookie crumbles unfortunately. Most regular DB pedals won't allow you to change the side the kickers are on.

I've seen other left handed pedals, other than the DW. e.g. the Sonor Giant Step Lefty Version. Here .

And I'm sure there are others out there. Just enquire at your local music shop, they should be able to order one in for you. Or at least tell you where to look.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

does mapex offer any lefty db pedals ?
    or another alternative is to buy another single pedal + bass drum ??

User Info Menu

Hey, Insance Drummer.. I was in the same boat.. DW makes lefty pedal and Pearl and Preimer do too I believe.. I currently have a DW 5000 Lefty Double Kick pedal (well I will soon.. they sent me a righty first.. so waiting for the lefty too come) But besides that Mapex don't make any double kick lefts as I know.. (At least when I checked a month ago when I was thinking about getting a orion.
    God Bless & Rock On
    Current Set: Yamaha 7pc Maple Custom Abosulte
    Current Cymbals: Zildjian A Custom Cymbals
    Hardware: Yamaha 1100 Series, and DW 5000 Series Kick

User Info Menu

fellow lefty here... as far as I know DW still makes a lefty double kick pedal..It is a special order and as usual costs more than the right handed pedal ..

User Info Menu

I saw a lefty DW double pedal at my local Guitar Center....look around, maybe you'll luck out and find one, who knows....
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

i hv will try and find it or i hv to start all over and play open handed righty style :(

User Info Menu

Hey Insane Drummer Sid , check this out....
    http://www.music123.com/Search/Defau...0+6&Ns=p_Order

We Lefties now have a few options ... Good Luck!

User Info Menu

i saw tht.....its great but i m limited to mapex unfortunately cos of the cos of the others

heres my idea .....when i get the DB pedal i will setup the kit like a right hander and and play open handed but use the 2nd pedal of the DB as my primary one so my left foot can still work like normal.....is tht possible....cos i hv tried playing open handed and it seemed easy so open handed + left foot = possible ?

User Info Menu

Yeah, it is possible Sid. I'm a righty, but I've been trying to strengthen my left side lately, so I've been playing simple beats open handed, left hand on hats and using the left foot as the kicker. It does work.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

yay....thnx alot HB58 .....i think i ll buy a regular one only .....i feel more comfortable playing open handed neway ...but is there a down side to playing open handed ?

User Info Menu

Not as far as I know. You might not have as much defence if someone throws something at you while you're playing. At least when you play cross-stick, you constantly have a stick waving in front of your face.

If you're setting up regular style, you might want to learn how to play your ride right handed. So that you're open handed at all times (and ambidextrous). Plus, it'd give you a wicked playing style.

HB58

Rudiments?