Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz

It is a beautiful drum kit. I had the same kit white marine pearl. I played it in an oldies and classic rock band and it did a good job all the drums were mic, unless it was a small club. I used a Emac 2 on the bass drum batter side, the bass drum sounded great.
    I ocassionally hooked up my double pedal to my 18" bass drum, but most of the time I used a single pedal (Camco) because of the music I was playing. I used single ply heads on all the other drums, because I wanted the kit to resonate to its fullest and loudest if need be. I also added a bass drum ride cymbal holder to my bass drum, (Gilbraltar). It look good, great ride cymbal postion and less equipment to carry around. I did change out my snare. I couldnt get the sound that I liked from the stock snare. I used a tama marine white pearl 6.5 x 13 snare (I bought new $150.) and it made the kit sound better. On any kit you need a snare your happy with, but with that type of kit I would buy any snare that was 6.5 or 7 in deep and probably 14 inch wide, mahogney is find, any snare I wouldnt pay any more than $200. I sold my kit, if I found a emerald green catalina kit, I would buy a catalina kit again. Good luck with your kit.
    Last edited by Jackie; 08-29-2012 at 04:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Really a beautiful kit!! I have just bought a copper sparkle kit and man I have to say,,, I love the drums!! They are so comfortable for me to play. I also love the classic sound of the mahogany shells.....
    2 thumbs up for sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerbash View Post
    Really a beautiful kit!! I have just bought a copper sparkle kit and man I have to say,,, I love the drums!! They are so comfortable for me to play. I also love the classic sound of the mahogany shells.....
    2 thumbs up for sure.
    Congrats on the new kit. You will definitely like the sound you get. I have since traded this kit away, but it ended up with a college program where one of my ex-students is playing it, so I'm glad it still getting good use. I would buy one again if I was still playing the type of music its geared toward.

User Info Menu

I am in the market for a Catalina and was looking at a used kit. The finish is something I cannot place. Yours if very close but like the Blue pearl Catalina club jazz they did with the virgin bass, it doesn't quite match. What is yours called? The one I am looking at looks like this.

Have you seen this before or what its called?

Thanks,
    Thump