Thread: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz

On review today is the stunning Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz Reserve Emerald Green. This was a limited run of 140 kits. The street price for the regular finishes is $650. This one was $429. I think the store had 4 or 5 and dropped the price after a few months and 2 were left. I would have gotten the natural satin finish if they were the same price. I'm not sure I would have gotten either for $650 (financial situation), but I got really lucky. Sizes are 12x10 mounted tom, 14x14 floor tom, 18x14 bass drum, and 14x5 snare. Included were the tom mount and adjustable bass drum riser.

Pics first:

I really like this finish. I haven't had a wrapped kit in a while and was worried about the sound. Plus the drums are mahogany, which doesn't cut like birch. I just sold a 5 piece Yamaha Recording Custom set in the same sizes plus a 10" tom minus the snare for $900 a few weeks ago. The Cats are not as loud as the Yamaha's were, but have a much better rounder musical tone. I got the Recording Customs (RCs) used for what I sold them for, but I think they go for $3K+ new. I would much rather have the covered mahogany.

Bass Drum - I ran around Columbus frantically looking for an 18" Fiberskyn head the day before I got this kit to no avail. I had my RC bass set up with an EQ1 batter, Fiberskyn reso, and no muffling. I played with it for years and that was the best combo. The Cat bass shipped with a Gretsch label batter just like the EQ1, except the extra ring is about 2.5 inches wide. The reso head is the same, but coated white. I tightened them up a bit and got a nice boomy sound with plenty of sustain. The RC birch drum was way more punchy, but no where near as musical. If I bury the beater, it thuds well. If I feather it, the drum rings a good while. Options.

The riser is very nice. I had to extend the bass drum legs all the way out. The riser height is set at half it's max. The beater is dead center. The one I had previously was fixed height, but worked perfectly fine. The rubber feet that attached to the rim on the old one also did not have PROTRUDING SCREW HEADS. Oops. I now have nice phillips head embossing on the inside of my rim. I'll have to felt the riser over later.

Mounted Tom - I'm not sure I completely buy into the Yamaha YESS mounting system. I understand the nodal points and all, but there are still extra screws in the drum. On a 16" tom, that equals a lot of weight in a small area. The Gretsch mount is sloppy as hell. It's also huge. The single tom arm is massive as well. Together, they probably weigh 6 times what the drum does. The mount does not fasten to anything. Rings hug the tension rods and a quarter sized spot of rubber sits on the shell. This is as free as a drum can be easily and it sounds like it. It was tricky to get positioned right, and wrestling it into a bag is rough, but the drums sounds good enough to be worth it.

More to come...
    Last edited by Redeye; 02-21-2009 at 10:27 PM.