Thread: I want to learn the snare drum

User Info Menu

Default I want to learn the snare drum

I don't know if I should post this hear or in the marching band section, but I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on where I should start off? I'd really like to learn the snare and would be great if there were any sites that could teach me.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I want to learn the snare drum

Welcome to Drum Chat Sparkster. I would buy a small practice pad and sticks first off. Then find a drum teacher to help with the initial drumming fundamentals to keep you from picking up any bad habits. You'll be learning a small handful of drum rudiments in the beginning. He can then help you with finding the right book for some simple snare drum solos. It's really that simple! From there, your progress depends on what you put into it.

Here a few sites that will help in the beginning. Your patronage to these sites helps support this drum forum:

Drum Rudiments / Drum Tips / Drum Lessons Books and DVDs / Free Drum Lessons

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat Sparkster. I would buy a small practice pad and sticks first off. Then find a drum teacher to help with the initial drumming fundamentals to keep you from picking up any bad habits. You'll be learning a small handful of drum rudiments in the beginning. He can then help you with finding the right book for some simple snare drum solos. It's really that simple! From there, your progress depends on what you put into it.

Here a few sites that will help in the beginning. Your patronage to these sites helps support this drum forum:

Drum Rudiments / Drum Tips / Drum Lessons Books and DVDs / Free Drum Lessons

I second that motion - also how old are you? If you're of school age then look into if your school has a marching band/drumline and try and get in there - you don't always have to be accomplished before you start this sort of thing, so you may find you can get instruction etc... and best of all an excuse to play during school hours.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    I second that motion - also how old are you? If you're of school age then look into if your school has a marching band/drumline and try and get in there - you don't always have to be accomplished before you start this sort of thing, so you may find you can get instruction etc... and best of all an excuse to play during school hours.
    I'm 15 years old, I want to join my school's marching band drumline, but the thing is there's a lot of good people on the drumline so I would not be able to get into snare without beginning to learn now because practices for rookies start a month before which would not be enough time to practice to get into snare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sparkster View Post
    I'm 15 years old, I want to join my school's marching band drumline, but the thing is there's a lot of good people on the drumline so I would not be able to get into snare without beginning to learn now because practices for rookies start a month before which would not be enough time to practice to get into snare.
    Ok so If I understand you right, you want to drumline, but you need to get started now so you cna getinto the rookie practise which starts 1 month before the actual try-outs?

Ok then you need a set of sticks, a practice pad and start hitting you tube for rudiment lessons and also find a local drum teacher - explain all you want is snare and rudiment lessons for drumline purposes, and he should be able to show you your double, stroke, single storke rolls, flam taps and parradiddles etc.. to get you started.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    Ok so If I understand you right, you want to drumline, but you need to get started now so you cna getinto the rookie practise which starts 1 month before the actual try-outs?

Ok then you need a set of sticks, a practice pad and start hitting you tube for rudiment lessons and also find a local drum teacher - explain all you want is snare and rudiment lessons for drumline purposes, and he should be able to show you your double, stroke, single storke rolls, flam taps and parradiddles etc.. to get you started.
    Yup, that's pretty much it.

I already got a set of sticks and a practice pad from a friend. I started learning the single stroke roll but I have no idea how you play it fast. My hand can't keep up.

User Info Menu

Sparkster, The advice you've been given so far is right on, get a teacher and learn the rudiments. Being new to drumming the snare line, although not impossible, may be a little out of your reach. Try out, but if you don't make snare don't be ashamed to take a position in the Bass drum or cymbal line, rudimental bass drum isn't as easy as it looks, even in the cymbal line you'll be learning something. You'll learn alot there about reading music, marching, playing in time, etc. Then you can try out for snare again the following year.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    Sparkster, The advice you've been given so far is right on, get a teacher and learn the rudiments. Being new to drumming the snare line, although not impossible, may be a little out of your reach. Try out, but if you don't make snare don't be ashamed to take a position in the Bass drum or cymbal line, rudimental bass drum isn't as easy as it looks, even in the cymbal line you'll be learning something. You'll learn alot there about reading music, marching, playing in time, etc. Then you can try out for snare again the following year.
    Well they have a pit section, and usually that's where the newbies go if theyre not good enough to get into battery.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sparkster View Post
    Yup, that's pretty much it.

I already got a set of sticks and a practice pad from a friend. I started learning the single stroke roll but I have no idea how you play it fast. My hand can't keep up.
    Speed builds somewhat naturally to a point as your dexterity and muscle memory improves from constant practise. Of course there is a limit to this and refined technique has to come in at some point - which is where an instructor will help. Also, and I'm not a drumline player at all, but from what i can tell, you need to be compotent with single, double, flam, parraddidle, drags and the various extensions of these rudiments to do snare work. Like I said, check out places like youtube or the links from drumemr to see some vids about the different rudiments out there and get some basic idea of what to do and how to do it.. Also traditional grip is going to be your poison if i'm not wrong so make sure you focus allot on finding the right balance with your left hand so you've got good bounce and control over the stick

Before I forget aswell, to practise set a steady pace and just maintain it. Don't try and go to quick too soon or else 1 )you'll stuff up allot which leads to 2) you'll get discouraged and think about giving up

If you can, find a metronome, there's even an online one you could use if you can practise near a computer, and just go along a a slow and steady pace at first until its natural, then speed up slightly and repeat. and count out loud 1e+a 2e+a 3e+a 4e+a 1e+a etc.... as you do it to really help build your internal time keeping and keep yourself steady. You may sound stupid but it works - every drummer on here will agree.
    Last edited by crazymanwithaplunger; 02-22-2009 at 07:57 PM.